I want to get better at drilling

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm limited in the amount of sparring that I can for awhile, so I want to spend the time getting better at drilling.

Not just drilling more, but getting more out of the time that I spend drilling. Does anyone have some Do/Don't advice for how to drill, a process for drilling, or maybe a mindset for effective drilling?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
With a partner? If so, I think the key is to find a partner who shares your interest in drilling, understands how to drill (no resistance it first and slowly add resistance/defense as you get better at the move) instead of every rep devolving into a hard free roll, and is good enough to defend the move with good technique and varied methods as you get better. Partners like that are hard to find, but invaluable when you find them.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
With a partner? If so, I think the key is to find a partner who shares your interest in drilling, understands how to drill (no resistance it first and slowly add resistance/defense as you get better at the move) instead of every rep devolving into a hard free roll, and is good enough to defend the move with good technique and varied methods as you get better. Partners like that are hard to find, but invaluable when you find them.
with a partner.
I feel like there should be a process, or a method for 'making' a good training partner. A program for drilling.
I'll ask around with some guys I know that are really good, but a lot of them got good by sparring hard and dealing with injuries. I'm hoping there's a better way.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
maybe i was just spoiled by having a bunch of really good wrestlers to train with when I started. Wrestlers seem to know how to drill.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I also want to start but I don't have the patience for it. I have to be in the mood for drilling

M

member 603

I suggest to drill your defense and escape techniques... Put yourself into the worst spots and drill how to get out.... Spiderweb Armbar setups, RNC, Triangles... Drill guard passing, drill movement (going from guard to back, elbow escape, bump and roll then pass the guard into the mount then your partner goes)... Drill entry into guards (I just taught a butterfly to half butterfly to shin on shin to single leg X to X with a few sweep and subs along the way).... Drill takedowns and takedown defense.

At the end of the drill sessions, if you haven't been subbed, swept, escaped, and battled through hell 1000000000 times, you haven't worked hard enough

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
defense and escape are my (relatively) strong suits. I feel like reposing guard/passing guard is biggest gap, aside from takedowns.

I talked to my instructor last night, and he's going to set me up with some drills for using my legs/feet like my arms/hands.

I've also decided to take a long hiatus from sparring, and work exclusively on drilling.