Lifestyle If I could compete against an iron chef

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Revolting

All my friends who have eaten my sous vide steak say they haven't had any steak like it or as good.

I've got a friend that has one of the fancy ones (not just the heater and bath, but rather the thousand dollar full unit) that I'm gonna go visit this weekend for the express purpose of bagging some steaks to perfection.
I'll try to get pics to rustle the jimmies.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I've got a friend that has one of the fancy ones (not just the heater and bath, but rather the thousand dollar full unit) that I'm gonna go visit this weekend for the express purpose of bagging some steaks to perfection.
I'll try to get pics to rustle the jimmies.
What does it do differently? How is it better than my £15 DIY home set up?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What does it do differently? How is it better than my £15 DIY home set up?

Consistent temps

Self contained unit

Bigger penis

Really beyond the increase in girth I'm not sure, other than it being a well insulated single unit that claims faster heating and consistency.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yes. It's a running joke
I assumed you were actually boiling steaks because you're British.

Having said that sous vide gets pussy. At Christmas my brother did a brisket in sous vide, I'd gladly put it up against anything that came off a smoker. Splinty @Splinty and his countrymen in Texas would have been proud.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I assumed you were actually boiling steaks because you're British.

Lmao

Having said that sous vide gets pussy.

That's a signature right there Leigh @Leigh

At Christmas my brother did a brisket in sous vide, I'd gladly put it up against anything that came off a smoker. Splinty @Splinty and his countrymen in T

I'm a steak bagger man. Boil em all day.

But your brisket just needed a Texas smoker.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Like I said, I'd put it up against anything that was off a smoker. It was probably the most moist, tender brisket I've ever come across.

As it should be.

But im suspicious of the lack of bark.

You need bark and moistness. The competing goals is why it must be cooked so slow..

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Look at the cook on my steak. Hard char on the outside, and the rest of it is a perfect swath of medium rare. You don't get that with Sous Vide. Or, I should say, perhaps you can. But a ripping hot piece of cast iron will be my go to until the day I die.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You need bark and moistness. The competing goals is why it must be cooked so slow..
It had some bark. I'm not sure what he did to it before bagging it.

For me personally I'm currently on a jerky making kick.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Look at the cook on my steak. Hard char on the outside, and the rest of it is a perfect swath of medium rare. You don't get that with Sous Vide. Or, I should say, perhaps you can. But a ripping hot piece of cast iron will be my go to until the day I die.

Sous vide steak hits a pan for a minute after cooking

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Brisket needs to be low and slow to gelatinize the connective tissue. Ribeye, high and fast just to liquify the fats. Let that fat absorb into the meat, and you have happy goodness.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I have no doubt you're a more talented chef than me but if you're not using the sous vide, then I'm playing chess and you're playing scrabble.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
I want to make my own beef jerky. Never gave it a go though.