If women stopped competing in the UFC...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

What action would you take if WMMA was removed from the UFC

• Total voters

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
i think there is about to be a big boom in entertaining female fighters as more and more women move to mma, joanna champion is on of my favorite fighters and im assuming more great strikers will be making the move soon

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I've really enjoyed women's strawweight. If the UFC WNBAed women's fights it would lead to a decline in pay and quality as more women went back to working day jobs to survive. I hope it's here to stay.

Severianb

Posting Machine
Aug 5, 2015
Look at what their payouts are, who they have been signing, how the production values have dropped since signing with fight pass, etc etc etc.. For fucks sake, even Roxy is begging for fights(yes I know one just signed for her). Invicta has gone down hill quickly, and their audience is shrinking because of it.
I noticed the lower production values as soon as they got on Fightpass. It was shocking.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think the WMMA fights should be on separate cards from the men's fights. Stop mixing them together and it would be better all around.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Not sure why all the hate for WMMA. I love watching the ladies go at it. The divisions are shallow and the stars are much fewer but as more and more women take on MMA, it's only going to get more exciting!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not sure why all the hate for WMMA. I love watching the ladies go at it. The divisions are shallow and the stars are much fewer but as more and more women take on MMA, it's only going to get more exciting!
I bet many fans aren't just haters. For myself I've watched with an open mind for a while now and feel the product is weak overall. There's been some good fights sure but I've never had that "oh shit! WMMA fighter X is on right now I gotta get the fuck home" feeling. Far too many fights resemble a sparring match and the lack of finishes make me assume most fights will be a decision so if I'm not into by mid 2nd I lose interest.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Montgomery.
No. The one that people moved to once they realized how shitty Montgomery is. Richmond.

And Danville doesn't count. (Although I kind of grew up there) It was only the acting Capitol for about a week.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's clear fans care about female mma stars.
Examples? Of course there's fans but how many? I feel it's one of those things where if the UFC keeps telling us WMMA is amazing people just take their word for and nod.

What type of comments towards wmma whether it be in one of our live threads or social media are do you see more of?

1 Damn! You see dat ass jiggle when getting side control? Waterson would totally get it

2 Incredible finish, that'll be talked about for years. The technique in this fight is amazing

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I bet many fans aren't just haters. For myself I've watched with an open mind for a while now and feel the product is weak overall. There's been some good fights sure but I've never had that "oh shit! WMMA fighter X is on right now I gotta get the fuck home" feeling. Far too many fights resemble a sparring match and the lack of finishes make me assume most fights will be a decision so if I'm not into by mid 2nd I lose interest.
Well said. The level of competition just isn't there to justify breaking up the pace of a card like this...

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Examples? Of course there's fans but how many? I feel it's one of those things where if the UFC keeps telling us WMMA is amazing people just take their word for and nod.

What type of comments towards wmma whether it be in one of our live threads or social media are do you see more of?

1 Damn! You see dat ass jiggle when getting side control? Waterson would totally get it

2 Incredible finish, that'll be talked about for years. The technique in this fight is amazing
Women's fights have done quite well as headliners for TV cards. I would hazard a guess because they appeal to a larger cross section of the public. So while some men might not tune in in protest, the gain in female viewers far outweigh that demographic. Most men will still tune in and either enjoy the women fights for what they are, or do something else during those fights.

There's also the dynamic that MMA fans aren't always looking to watch the most skilful fights. Fights like Bosse vs O'Connnell get voted in as one of the best fights of the year, but no one is going to suggest that it was the fight which exhibited the greatest skill. As long as the women come to lay it all on the line many people will find enjoyment in what is on offer.

It all combines to make it more profitable for any fight organization to put on mixed cards to attract the biggest audience, as the audience as a whole has shown that the absolute quality of the fighters isn't the number one priority, but the quality of the fight itself is. Of course there will be duds, and I would hazard a guess that at the moment there are a higher % of duds within women's mma than man's, but that should improve over time as it has with the men's game.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Womens fights should be on the prelims unless they are for a title

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I will happily admit that holly knocking Ronda into obsolescence is one of my favourite main events of all time.

It still brings a smile to my face.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Fights like Bosse vs O'Connnell get voted in as one of the best fights of the year
That was one of the most exciting fights I've ever seen, but it's shameful that people thought that was a fight of the year candidate.

Women's fights have done quite well as headliners for TV cards
I'd imagine that's true as I seem to watch as they're free to watch. The only person who doesn't draw on TV cards is Mighty Mouse because he couldn't get over with a catapult.

So while some men might not tune in in protest, the gain in female viewers far outweigh that demographic.
Are you sure that's more women tuning in? or is it just more men tuning in because it's free?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Are you sure that's more women tuning in? or is it just more men tuning in because it's free?
Admittedly, that's just a hunch. However, it stands to reason that women would be interested in women fighting. Ronda Rousey managed to attract more women to the sport, as evidenced by larger than normal amounts of women in the crowd and activity on social media from women. It's highly likely that some of them became fans of the sport, but are more attracted to women's fights, and being on cable channels they likely already have gives those fights a lower bar of access than Invicta.