General If you need a laugh...This is the place

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So - tomorrow is not only Juneteenth, but it is also my brothers birthday. He's a bit of an oddity, and because of that he isn't always the easiest person to find a good gift for (or one that would matter to him).

They had these advertising cards out at the gym my wife did her spin class at this morning (it's Austin and Pride month). But I just figured out what I'm getting him for his birthday!
68116162-0A11-4EED-BC5D-A515B2322937.jpeg

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
So - tomorrow is not only Juneteenth, but it is also my brothers birthday. He's a bit of an oddity, and because of that he isn't always the easiest person to find a good gift for (or one that would matter to him).

They had these advertising cards out at the gym my wife did her spin class at this morning (it's Austin and Pride month). But I just figured out what I'm getting him for his birthday!
View attachment 39012
Is Juneteenth a holiday this year, or does it start next year?

??

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Is Juneteenth a holiday this year, or does it start next year?

??
Juneteenth has been a celebrated holiday in Tx for ages. But it just became designated as a federal holiday.

This picture is from a Juneteenth celebration in Austin in 1900 (awesome picture!)...so it goes way back.
juneteenth-austin.jpg

If anyone cares to read more, this article just came out:

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Juneteenth has been a celebrated holiday in Tx for ages. But it just became designated as a federal holiday.

This picture is from a Juneteenth celebration in Austin in 1900 (awesome picture!)...so it goes way back.
View attachment 39013

If anyone cares to read more, this article just came out:
Oh yeah, I know it was an unofficial celebration and had just been made a federal holiday, but I didn't know if the official holiday had kicked in yet. Seemed pretty short-notice if it did.

Didn't know it started in Texas, either. Thanks! ?

Do white people in Texas get into it too, or not really?

??

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Oh yeah, I know it was an unofficial celebration and had just been made a federal holiday, but I didn't know if the official holiday had kicked in yet. Seemed pretty short-notice if it did.

??
It has kicked in already, tomorrow is a day off of work for many people.

I mean, it is more for African Americans obviously and their emancipation, but white people participate. My brother and I have been to Juneteenth celebrations/parties before. Some towns and cities will have big events/gatherings open to the general public where they'll have live music, BBQ, etc. In places like here in Austin, the crowds at the celebrations will be mixed.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

??
It's this year. I have off work for it, but my son still had school.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

??
Correction: TODAY is a day off of work for many people. Since the holiday tomorrow is on a Saturday, today was the day given off.

I'm self employed, so days off are a mysterious thing for me. But a lot of our crew are off or taking half days today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
It has kicked in already, tomorrow is a day off of work for many people.

I mean, it is more for African Americans obviously and their emancipation, but white people participate. My brother and I have been to Juneteenth celebrations/parties before. Some towns and cities will have big events/gatherings open to the general public where they'll have live music, BBQ, etc. In places like here in Austin, the crowds at the celebrations will be mixed.
That's cool. It's awesome to participate in a celebration in a different communities culture. I have an Indian friend/former flatmate who invites the missus and I to her expat social group's Diwali party every year, and it's fucking awesome. Those Indians know how to make the ghostfaces welcome and just the right amount of uncomfortable to amuse everybody without being cunts about it. :smile:

??

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Only Star Trek fans would get this one. I scam baited today as a Cardassian:

"What is your first name sir?"

"Garak."

"... and your last name?"

"Just Garak. Plain, simple Garak."
tumblr_dea651a21fcbf9dc14c4686e7b7d05fe_b8dc65d9_250.gif