General If you need a laugh...This is the place

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
when you upload a video, the very first people to see it are subscribers before it gets pushed out as recommended or autoloads after a video for nonsubscribers

yet the very first thumbs you can count on are thumbs downs by sad little haters who subscribe just to thumbs down. it shouldnt impact an uploader*, but it does. bc they are humans

on top of that, there are hundreds of millions of sad little people out there that join ratio armies

for the mental health of uploaders, i 100% support the removal of the thumbsdown display because now it is back to its original purpose, which is not to shame the uploader* but rather to tailor ones own recommended videos

of course, sad people are still going to automatically thumbs down videos from creators they dont like or dont side with politically, but now their sadness wont rub off onto others, namely creators

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
when you upload a video, the very first people to see it are subscribers before it gets pushed out as recommended or autoloads after a video for nonsubscribers

yet the very first thumbs you can count on are thumbs downs by sad little haters who subscribe just to thumbs down. it shouldnt impact an uploader*, but it does. bc they are humans

on top of that, there are hundreds of millions of sad little people out there that join ratio armies

for the mental health of uploaders, i 100% support the removal of the thumbsdown display because now it is back to its original purpose, which is not to shame the uploader* but rather to tailor ones own recommended videos

of course, sad people are still going to automatically thumbs down videos from creators they dont like or dont side with politically, but now their sadness wont rub off onto others, namely creators
I wish I could thumbs down this post. Lol

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

The downvotes can still be seen by the video creators. This had nothing to do with "protecting the mental health of small time creators", it was to hide the massive amounts of downvotes seen on shitty videos posted by big corporations, in an attempt to get more of them on board, as well as YouTube's own (and very much hated) "YouTube Rewind" videos.

Last edited:

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
The downvotes can still be seen by the video creators. This had nothing to do with "protecting the mental health of small time creators", it was to hide the massive amounts of downvotes seen on shitty videos posted by big corporations, in an attempt to get more of them on board, as well as YouTube's own (and very much hated) "YouTube Rewind" videos.
those conspiracies are not true.

this has been debated and trial tested since before the youtube rewind fiasco

it was thousands of content creators such as myself who requested this change. its been in beta. and is not live.

and i am very thankful for it as it causes a lot of pain and suffering to creators

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

it was thousands of content creators such as myself who requested this change. its been in beta. and is not live.

and i am very thankful for it as it causes a lot of pain and suffering to creators
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I don't think removing the visible total will prevent haters doing their thing.

I circumvented the update anyway (as have hordes of others) by installing this extension into the Chrome browser:

With this installed, downvotes are visible just like they used to be. This allows me to easily see which ones have maybe a 5:1 dislike to like ratio, and I can avoid wasting my time on clickbait, shitty quality videos, or videos which turn out to be a thinly disguised advert posted by some company.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

I love you, but wanting the trappings of celebrity that come with being a public content creator but to also be shielded from the criticism is the creator equivalent to bailing out big business.