I'll try to cure your vehicle ailments. Ask here...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Compressor clutches run off of "Rules of Engagement". Check if you're getting power at pin 1 on the compressor. If yes, make sure there isn't also power on pin 2. If there is, then you have a bad ground. If you aren't getting power to it, it could be a number or things. First thing is to check if the relay is clicking when you turn the AC on. What I would then do, is check the continuity of wire C3, which is the one going to pin one and should be dark blue and yellow. You need to disconnect the bulkhead connector. Wire C3 should be pin 15 on that. Run a continuity check by placing a probe there and back on pin 1 of the clutch connector. You can do the same for the other side of the bulkhead connector and check continuity for wire C3 from there to the PDC. Place a probe at the connector. Go to the PDC and remove the AC relay and see where pin 87 goes in and that's your C3 wire. If there's continuity, you can then check that same are for power. Check power at pin 30 of that relay. If there's no power, then you have to look at those rules of engagement. That could be anything from bad sensors to refrigerant pressure. I use a template at work on our computer that will let me see what all of those sensors are seeing and doing, so I probably can't be much help in the shade tree mechanic area of how to test those without a $20k computer diag subscription.

Dude. Thanks! Very much appreciated.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
You can also check the trinary switch. It should be on the high side line that is the condenser out. Sometimes, this connector is worn out and wiggling it will kick the clutch on and off.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
b00ts @the_b00ts

Did I make the right choice for my 2jz?

Should I be concerned about this rust on my exhaust headers/bolts?

How safe do you feel working under a car on jack stands? And how would you recommend I clean that disgusting undercarriage?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
b00ts @the_b00tsDid I make the right choice for my 2jz?

How safe do you feel working under a car on jack stands? And how would you recommend I clean that disgusting undercarriage?
1) Royal Purple is a bit of a waste of money, imo. Won't hurt anything though.

2) Not really, hitting them with a bit of penetrating oil to ensure they won't seize should you ever need to remove them isn't a terrible idea. Be mindful that pen fluids are flammable and that exhaust manifolds get really hot.

3) It's not my favorite, but if they're set up properly they should be reasonably safe. Just don't ever work under a jack.

4) I probably wouldn't. Most of what looks like is under there would be there from the factory.

2jzge, or 2jzgte? and what's it in?

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
$35 for 5 quarts didn't seem like a bad deal. Paid $9 for the filter. Neighbor said go with AMSOIL next time.

4) I probably wouldn't. Most of what looks like is under there would be there from the factory.
Looks like there's factory paint hiding behind a layer of sludge. And I'm certain it wasn't that dirty when I got it 3k miles ago.

GE. Still completely stock. Think I might try to do the GTE/V160 powertrain swap after I finish paying it off.

Sound system is being planned now. Should be a relatively easy project with a compact enough amp. Will probably go with the Alpine PDX-V9 with Polk Audio DB652 in the front and back. Still undecided on subwoofer.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
$35 for 5 quarts didn't seem like a bad deal. Paid $9 for the filter. Neighbor said go with AMSOIL next time.
I recommend going with a Toyota filter and Mobil 1. It's what Toyota recommends and in almost 15 years of working on them and owning (and beating on) them myself I haven't seen any reason to think there's a reason to spend more for marketing. Like I said earlier, you shouldn't hurt your engine by using RP or Amsoil. Your wallet is another story though. Your 2JZ oil change costs almost twice what mine did.

Looks like there's factory paint hiding behind a layer of sludge. And I'm certain it wasn't that dirty when I got it 3k miles ago.
It's hard to make out from the picture, but usually the factory will put a protective layer on top of the paint under the car. Bare paint under a car is an invitation to rot the bottom of it out. Of course you're also in Florida.

Think I might try to do the GTE/V160 powertrain swap after I finish paying it off.
but what's it in?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
ford ranger engine (2000? V6) is missing it seems mostly in hot weather...comes and goes...sometimes not missing at all

noticeable loss in engine power

what is first move to eliminate possibilities?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
ford ranger engine (2000? V6) is missing it seems mostly in hot weather...comes and goes...sometimes not missing at all

noticeable loss in engine power

what is first move to eliminate possibilities?
How old are your plugs, etc? and are they OE or are they something that "a guy told you is just as good as OE for half the price"?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015

2) Not really, hitting them with a bit of penetrating oil to ensure they won't seize should you ever need to remove them isn't a terrible idea. Be mindful that pen fluids are flammable and that exhaust manifolds get really hot.

3) It's not my favorite, but if they're set up properly they should be reasonably safe. Just don't ever work under a jack.

Hey boots!

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
b00ts @the_b00ts

Did I make the right choice for my 2jz?

1. 90915-03001 filter and Mobil1.
2. PB B'laster. Let it soak in for a while as well. I see people spray the stuff and immediately go at the rusted hardware. You can also let the car run up to operating temp after letting it soak to add heat into the mix and you should be able to get them with no issue. Replace with new.
3. I've never had an issue with my AC Delco stands. They're basically the same as the Duralast ones. I'd prefer my HD stands from work, but the smaller ones get the job done. Ideal situation is to have a lift ;)

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
O2 sensor?
probably right...I will get on that...was diagnosed as such from a computer diagnosis...but I had no power loss then only check engine light at that time...didn't replace and actually forgot about it until you mentioned it...thanks

O2 sensor would produce such power loss?..

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
thanks for the thread boots and others....great idea

New to fords myself...usually drive Toyota pre 1993 trucks

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
probably right...I will get on that...was diagnosed as such from a computer diagnosis...but I had no power loss then only check engine light at that time...didn't replace and actually forgot about it until you mentioned it...thanks

O2 sensor would produce such power loss?..
I suggested it because you said when it gets hot.
I don't understand the exact workings but your engine may switch to a second 02 sensor when it gets hot.