I'm a mess with schedule

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I work rotating unpredictable shifts. 60-80 hours a week. I eat healthy. I am well versed in macro breakdowns. I know the basics of working out. My years of a 3-4 times a week in the gym are failing me now as I find myself with 3 days in a row to work out, then 3 days I can't, then one, then two, etc.

M, W, F, Sa just isn't in the cards for a steady routine.

I need to prioritize rest and that's on my end. But any recommendations on a switch with such an erratic schedule? Should I move to a full body workout instead of the current push/pull splits I'm doing? Something else?

My only goal is to stay lean, keep overall health, look good naked ;)

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

to keep what you have 2x 1,5 hour a week should be enough, but your unpredictable work is really messing it up, i know that those shifts' aren't healty either if you mean a mix if, morning,afternoon,night shifts because you are eating on differents times. ticking off biological rhythm is no joke.
or you could look which exercise to do at home and the rest in the gym or maybe a home gym.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
My lifting workout takes 20-30 mins twice a week or you can do the whole thing in less than an hour, once per week. If you push yourself, you could be done in 40 mins. So you just figure when in the week you can slip the workouts in.

Actually, I'll make a thread on my workouts, rather than repost a number of times when different people ask

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
but your unpredictable work is really messing it up, i know that those shifts' aren't healty either if you mean a mix if, morning,afternoon,night shifts because you are eating on differents times. ticking off biological rhythm is no joke.
Yes you are right.
I often think of this. I'm in medicine. There's a sort of sick irony in the abuse endured while knowing what is good or bad for others, but beating up yourself. I have no choice for the next year or two.

As an aside, there is evidence that a lifetime of shift work in medicine has the cardiovascular impact of a half pack of cigarettes a day.

I won't be doing this forever. But right now its a must.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
If by "shift work" you mean working 3rd shift/graveyard shift on a rotating schedule than yes, I'd say there is more than just evidence of what you say. Shift work is one of the most well studied behaviors in regards to health and longevity, and it is universally deemed to be atrocious for human health. I believe as little as 3 night shifts per month has given statistically significant negative outcomes for longevity.

So cut it out.

As far as your workout, I think Leigh probably is assisting there. I agree that a brief full-body workout during your free time will work just fine. Splits are unnecessary.