I'm building up to swim a half marathon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Decided this year that I wanted to get back into swimming. Always been able to swim, as in if I fell in I wont drown, but havent really trained hard at it for over 13 years, maybe more to be honest. I have done a few triathlons about 3 years ago but they were ridiculously short swims in a pool.

Started it back up again this year after a pretty serious knee injury stopped any impact exercise and really got into it, havent really gone too far into training plans or coaching or anything like that. Just doing it agricultural style, like normal. By the end of this year I wanna swim 5k in the pool, or ideally 5k open water. That is continuous freestyle, no rests other than 3(ish) short breaks to take on hydration (or I might die, well not really but it feels like it).

So far I can swim about 3K ish mixed strokes with lots of rest in a pool, when it aint freezing outside I will head to the lake for my first ever open water swim.

What ya think? Any other swimming types up in this bitch? Any training tips on land that dont involve too much impact or knee loading (I cant squat even without weight) that might help?

Come at me bro.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Shit. I meant to post this in strength and conditioning...

Can I move it myself or does an admin have to do it?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I love swimming. Distance work gets a bit tiresome. My advice is to check out Total Immersion. It's a very efficient style of swimming and totally changed my approach.

I don't think there's much you can do out of the pool to help you other than some maintenance strength work and a bit of cardio. Swimming is VERY technique based, so get in the pool :)

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I love swimming. Distance work gets a bit tiresome. My advice is to check out Total Immersion. It's a very efficient style of swimming and totally changed my approach.

I don't think there's much you can do out of the pool to help you other than some maintenance strength work and a bit of cardio. Swimming is VERY technique based, so get in the pool :)
Basically my approach. Looking forward to getting to the milestone. I'll pop back here from time to time.

Just gonna swim and swim until i get there. Also cycling a ton too. I look forward to being able to run again!!!

I'll check that total immersion... Sounds interesting

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

Have you used Total Immersion coaches or just their online stuff?

I have skeptical hippo eyes about "systems" like this, I just look at olympians who swim faster than fish and go.... wellllll, they would be doing this wouldnt they? I will download their things and read it.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Have you used Total Immersion coaches or just their online stuff?

I have skeptical hippo eyes about "systems" like this, I just look at olympians who swim faster than fish and go.... wellllll, they would be doing this wouldnt they? I will download their things and read it.
I bought the book about 12 years ago. I definitely understand your point regarding Olympians. Olympians don't need it because they already have great technique. If you find swimming easy and you glide effortlessly through the water (a lot of people already do) then you may not need TI.

I swam well and competed for my school as a kid but I was getting by on a small talent pool and being decently athletic. TI made a big difference to me; I could already swim well but it made me more efficient and clarified why I should be doing the things I was doing.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I bought the book about 12 years ago. I definitely understand your point regarding Olympians. Olympians don't need it because they already have great technique. If you find swimming easy and you glide effortlessly through the water (a lot of people already do) then you may not need TI.

I swam well and competed for my school as a kid but I was getting by on a small talent pool and being decently athletic. TI made a big difference to me; I could already swim well but it made me more efficient and clarified why I should be doing the things I was doing.
Yea I think I am in the same boat as you. Terrible pun, well kinda, but I am .

I swim fine, but feel I am lacking technique.

I will look into it, the videos about mindset and swimming being a mindset hasnt made me any less skeptical... but I will try...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yea I think I am in the same boat as you. Terrible pun, well kinda, but I am .

I swim fine, but feel I am lacking technique.

I will look into it, the videos about mindset and swimming being a mindset hasnt made me any less skeptical... but I will try...
Yeah don't buy into all the fluff. I bought the Chi Running book because TI recommended it. One chapter on how to actually run efficiently, the rest was some mystical nonsense.

There's probably enough material on youtube for you to get what you need from TI. Key points:
  • 70% of your effort should be on becoming hydrodynamic. Being strong is useful but overcoming drag is more useful. Good female swimmers beat bodybuilders.
  • Be a sail boat, not a barge. Rotate from side to side to reduce friction and to allow you to use your hips when you pull, rather than just your shoulders.
  • Be long. Stretch from your fingers to your toes and use front quadrant swimming, where you always have a hand in the water in front of you.

The book covers a few more details, regarding tempo and stroke length etc.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah don't buy into all the fluff. I bought the Chi Running book because TI recommended it. One chapter on how to actually run efficiently, the rest was some mystical nonsense.

There's probably enough material on youtube for you to get what you need from TI. Key points:
  • 70% of your effort should be on becoming hydrodynamic. Being strong is useful but overcoming drag is more useful. Good female swimmers beat bodybuilders.
  • Be a sail boat, not a barge. Rotate from side to side to reduce friction and to allow you to use your hips when you pull, rather than just your shoulders.
  • Be long. Stretch from your fingers to your toes and use front quadrant swimming, where you always have a hand in the water in front of you.

The book covers a few more details, regarding tempo and stroke length etc.
Nice! I will research. That is essentially my goal... Might get a coach down the line if I dont see improvements.

Just swam my fastest ever 1K in a pool, even with busy lanes and 250m breaststroke... Must be doing something right for a change.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Basically my approach. Looking forward to getting to the milestone. I'll pop back here from time to time.

Just gonna swim and swim until i get there. Also cycling a ton too. I look forward to being able to run again!!!

I'll check that total immersion... Sounds interesting
ive never trained in swimming. but i did one time research it. now that im working at hgone, i plan on swimming this summer at my deveopmetns pools

when i did research a couple years back it seemed fun to mix it up not just by doing different strokes, lap numbrs or speed, but also to throw in a couple stranger techniques
- getting flippers and using just legs
- getting some styrofoam thign for between ankles and using just arms
- using board for hands and using just feet without flippers

i may have made up 1 or all of these. basically, isolate arms or legs to mix it up., not sure if that;ll help per se. but itll be a fun challenge =)

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
ive never trained in swimming. but i did one time research it. now that im working at hgone, i plan on swimming this summer at my deveopmetns pools

when i did research a couple years back it seemed fun to mix it up not just by doing different strokes, lap numbrs or speed, but also to throw in a couple stranger techniques
- getting flippers and using just legs
- getting some styrofoam thign for between ankles and using just arms
- using board for hands and using just feet without flippers

i may have made up 1 or all of these. basically, isolate arms or legs to mix it up., not sure if that;ll help per se. but itll be a fun challenge =)
What you've said is so true. The thing between your legs is called a pull buoy. Very very effective at isolating the upper body.

I use a pull buoy occasionally but i prefer to do it all fresco style. All my own power

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
What you've said is so true. The thing between your legs is called a pull buoy. Very very effective at isolating the upper body.

I use a pull buoy occasionally but i prefer to do it all fresco style. All my own power
raur. you sound like a spartan warrior

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016

i had posted my guess before i read Leighs posts

now im curious if working on those styles of workout that i mentioned have net negative effects. they may strengthen a particular aspect of ur swim game, but it may come at the expense of deteriorating form...

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
i had posted my guess before i read Leighs posts

now im curious if working on those styles of workout that i mentioned have net negative effects. they may strengthen a particular aspect of ur swim game, but it may come at the expense of deteriorating form...
Perhaps. I doubt it. Swimming is a weird one. I'll always and forever mix my strokes in training. It's just better and more diverse fire the body. IMO

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Did my first open water swim yesterday, nearly 2km. Was a tad weird. Still aiming after some rather disastrous injury setbacks to get to 5k this year. Long old way that though.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I dont think anyone will be that interested... but I said I would come back.

I joined a swim club. The Open Water season kinda came and went. I went over 3k nearly at 3.5k but at great cost to my body. I was an absolute wreck, cramps, everything. So I have changed approach. I joined the local club for the winter.

So it is pool swimming and all fairly shortcourse stuff with max sets no more than 200m. But the volume and intensity is unreal. I was by far the slowest swimmer when I joined which is just barmy. In a regular pool or regular people I would be the fastest by some margin, in this new setting I was a stone compared to dolphins. However, this is a good thing. I am now SO much faster over distance it isnt even funny and whilst I havent tried a single set of anything more than 1k since joining I feel my general swimming fitness and pace will be way way up.

So building towards April and into the OW season next year to get to the 5k+ milestone. Regulalrly doing 3K+ sessions in the pool net over the drills so I should make it this year coming up.

Having a long term goal is fascinating. Also. Swimming is hard as balls.

Bocephus

Oct 2, 2017
In for swim workouts. I can run and bike not problem but gas after about 6 laps in the pool. Any tips on being more efficient in the water?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
that is awesome. and i agree swimming is hard as hell. I am not a "pool" person for leisure but I would love to have one for working out.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Been swimming with a club. I can just about do a 4k set with them but that is at a brutal brutal pace. I am still a very novice swimmer.

This summer I will attempt the 5k distance in open water at some point. I feel I have a good chance at it now, I can get past 4k in a single pool session which are way more high paced. Really getting into swimming. Can feel myself slipping over to do that more often than my other hobbies.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
In for swim workouts. I can run and bike not problem but gas after about 6 laps in the pool. Any tips on being more efficient in the water?
Practice practice practice practice

Pretty much the only way. Swimming is all about efficiency. Are you swimming freestyle?