I'm cycling for cardio

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Running is too tough on my joints, so I'm switching to cycling. Cyclists typically have lower resting heart rates and higher VO2 max than runners, due to the drugs higher volume they can tolerate.

I've been using my BMX for the past few months but I can't really get my heart rate where I want it unless I'm going up hills. However, a cyclist friend told me that if I had a higher gear, I'd be able to get my HR higher because I won't spin out when I push the pace.

So I got myself a cheap bike with gears and sure enough, I can get into my desired zone. Hills are also much more pleasant in a low gear and I'm not all beaten up afterwards like I am after an hour's run.

Last edited:

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
INteresting, might buy a cheapo mountain bike so my son and I can spend daddy/son time away from his sister.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I commute to work by bike, about 10 miles per day.

I don't use a HR monitor, but I ride much harder than most.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I just bought a new bike and I went out yesterday really hard for about 40-60 minutes. I went somewhere around 10-12 kms with lots of hill climbing since I live going up a mountain. It's super fun and hard as hell. I think I found myself a new hobby and I'm loving it.

It's a good investment in my opinion.

This is my new bike but I modded the bars to straights and changed the seat to a gel one because the base seat is too hard on my ass.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Tabata Protocol | Tabata Protocol

can be applied to cycling. i prefer a stationary bike tho
Yep, it sure can. I ride with a couple of dudes who race at the professional level in the state mountain bike circuit, and they use Tabata as part of their training.

This is different than Tabata, but you can get some of the same results doing a spin class (with a good instructor). I don't do spin often any more, but I do when inclement weather keeps me off of the mountain bike trails, or over the winter months some too. I've been mountain biking for over 20 years and I generally stay in pretty decent shape, and I noticed some cardio improvements when I was doing spin more regularly. I don't go as often as I used to, but I use it now some to keep me in shape on days I'm not going to be on my actual bike. Just FWIW

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Lycra wearing cyclist douche bags. They fucking fuck ass, any cafe they turn up to the need to push every table together to house their fat asses and shitty $60,000 carbon fiber bikes. A 12 year old Vutu on his BMX would have smoked any one of these bitches.

I will continue to try to kill cyclists who take up a whole lane on the road, they dont pay road tax, they dont pay Tyre taxes and they dont pay fuel tax but they think they own the road.

Back to cardio

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Lycra wearing cyclist douche bags. They fucking fuck ass, any cafe they turn up to the need to push every table together to house their fat asses and shitty $60,000 carbon fiber bikes. A 12 year old Vutu on his BMX would have smoked any one of these bitches.

I will continue to try to kill cyclists who take up a whole lane on the road, they dont pay road tax, they dont pay Tyre taxes and they dont pay fuel tax but they think they own the road.

Back to cardio
Some cyclists are pricks.

My bike was £100 brand new. I ride it on back roads outside of rush hour

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Some cyclists are pricks.

My bike was £100 brand new. I ride it on back roads outside of rush hour
Good man I have no problem with that for what its worth. Im getting an aldi bike probably about the same as yours. Place we used to live sold upmarket road bikes from $12,000AUD upwards, the cyclists dont know is that they are paying for mark ups of up to 200% which is a legacy from when bike stores might have moved 5 units a week.

Last 5 years the bike thing has blown up here but the mark ups are the same. I used to smoke weed with the owner, dude told me this himself.

My kids have both got the Specialized brand BMX's which he retailed for $300, he game them to me for $170.

Anyway Ill leave you guys in peace now.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Good man I have no problem with that for what its worth. Im getting an aldi bike probably about the same as yours. Place we used to live sold upmarket road bikes from $12,000AUD upwards, the cyclists dont know is that they are paying for mark ups of up to 200% which is a legacy from when bike stores might have moved 5 units a week.

Last 5 years the bike thing has blown up here but the mark ups are the same. I used to smoke weed with the owner, dude told me this himself.

My kids have both got the Specialized brand BMX's which he retailed for $300, he game them to me for $170.

Anyway Ill leave you guys in peace now.
There is a small bike shop in town. I went in, trying to support local businesses. Told the guy I wanted a cheap hybrid.

"Dunno about that, our bikes start at £300. Thanks anyway."

No problem, I'll get a deal at Halfords, you condescending cunt.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
There is a small bike shop in town. I went in, trying to support local businesses. Told the guy I wanted a cheap hybrid.

"Dunno about that, our bikes start at £300. Thanks anyway."

No problem, I'll get a deal at Halfords, you condescending cunt.
Ive heard customer service in Britain leaves a lot to be desired...

There was a standup brit comedian talking about how shocked he was about his American waiter asking him if his meal was okay 20 times when in the UK he reckons its like "There's your sandwich youre a wanker now eat it and fuck off" kind of thing. Tipping I reckon

So are there advantages to cycling over swimming for cardio? Ive got a heated 20m pool here and asthma so I was gonna stick to swimming but maybe mix em up?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ive heard customer service in Britain leaves a lot to be desired...

There was a standup brit comedian talking about how shocked he was about his American waiter asking him if his meal was okay 20 times when in the UK he reckons its like "There's your sandwich youre a wanker now eat it and fuck off" kind of thing. Tipping I reckon

So are there advantages to cycling over swimming for cardio? Ive got a heated 20m pool here and asthma so I was gonna stick to swimming but maybe mix em up?
The comedian was correct.

Cycling allows you to get your HR much higher than swimming. With swimming, I struggle to maintain 120bpm but with cycling I'm pretty comfortable in the 130s and on big hills it's over 150, even in a low gear. Plus the countryside is so much more motivating than 100 lengths of a 25m pool.

I like swimming for mobility. I get to move my body in all sorts of ways due to effectively being in zero gravity. I can move all of my joints through a good ROM. But for cardio, cycling trumps it. Looking at my HR profile, I think it trumps running, too.

Running is too tough on my joints, so I'm switching to cycling. Cyclists typically have lower testing heart rates and higher VO2 max than runners, due to the drugs higher volume they can tolerate.

I've been using my BMX for the past few months but I can't really get my heart rate where I want it unless I'm going up hills. However, a cyclist friend told me that if I had a higher gear, I'd be able to get my HR higher because I won't spin out when I push the pace.

So I got myself a cheap bike with gears and sure enough, I can get into my desired zone. Hills are also much more pleasant in a low gear and I'm not all beaten up afterwards like I am after an hour's run.
If you get into it a bit, you'll find that the gears (number of cogs) really make a difference in terms of climbing. I just like getting into the techy xc stuff but the guys I know who do more road biking have 52 cogs or something like that- they do some pretty impressive distances imo.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If you get into it a bit, you'll find that the gears (number of cogs) really make a difference in terms of climbing. I just like getting into the techy xc stuff but the guys I know who do more road biking have 52 cogs or something like that- they do some pretty impressive distances imo.
Yes, there are a couple of good hills near me and I go into the very lowest gear and still have my HR at 155. It's great :)

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I think I drove (yes, drove, riding is what you do with horses, or in Vutu's case, kangaroos) too much in the last couple of days, got a sharp recurring pain in my left knee the last time after destroying a bridge with authority, on and off while driving, then went away after it.

Maybe I'm using too high gears as well, dunno.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I think I drove (yes, drove, riding is what you do with horses, or in Vutu's case, kangaroos) too much in the last couple of days, got a sharp recurring pain in my left knee the last time after destroying a bridge with authority, on and off while driving, then went away after it.

Maybe I'm using too high gears as well, dunno.
Driving is what you do with a car.

You ride a bicycle.

drive
drʌɪv/
verb
  1. 1.
    operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle.
    "he got into his car and drove off"
    synonyms: operate, pilot, steer, handle, manage;More

2. 2.
    propel or carry along by force in a specified direction.
    "the wind will drive you onshore"
    synonyms: power, propel, move, push
    "a two-litre engine drives the front wheels"
noun
  1. 1.
    a trip or journey in a car.
    "they went for a drive in the country"
    synonyms: excursion, outing, trip, jaunt, tour, turn;More

2. 2.
    PSYCHOLOGY
    an innate, biologically determined urge to attain a goal or satisfy a need.
    "her emotional and sexual drives"
    synonyms: urge, appetite, desire, need;More
ride
rʌɪd/
verb
  1. 1.
    sit on and control the movement of (an animal, typically a horse).
    "Jane and Rory were riding their ponies"
    synonyms: sit on, mount, be mounted on, bestride;More

2. 2.
    be carried or supported by (something moving with great momentum).
    "a stream of young surfers fighting the elements to ride the waves"
noun
  1. 1.
    a journey made on a horse, bicycle, or motorcycle, or in a vehicle.
    "I took them for a ride in the van"
    synonyms: trip, journey, drive, run, expedition, excursion, outing, jaunt, tour, airing, turn,sally;More

2. 2.
    a roller coaster, roundabout, or other amusement ridden at a fair or amusement park.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Driving is what you do with a car.

You ride a bicycle.

drive
drʌɪv/
verb
  1. 1.
    operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle.
    "he got into his car and drove off"
    synonyms: operate, pilot, steer, handle, manage;More

2. 2.
    propel or carry along by force in a specified direction.
    "the wind will drive you onshore"
    synonyms: power, propel, move, push
    "a two-litre engine drives the front wheels"
noun
  1. 1.
    a trip or journey in a car.
    "they went for a drive in the country"
    synonyms: excursion, outing, trip, jaunt, tour, turn;More

2. 2.
    PSYCHOLOGY
    an innate, biologically determined urge to attain a goal or satisfy a need.
    "her emotional and sexual drives"
    synonyms: urge, appetite, desire, need;More
ride
rʌɪd/
verb
  1. 1.
    sit on and control the movement of (an animal, typically a horse).
    "Jane and Rory were riding their ponies"
    synonyms: sit on, mount, be mounted on, bestride;More

2. 2.
    be carried or supported by (something moving with great momentum).
    "a stream of young surfers fighting the elements to ride the waves"
noun
  1. 1.
    a journey made on a horse, bicycle, or motorcycle, or in a vehicle.
    "I took them for a ride in the van"
    synonyms: trip, journey, drive, run, expedition, excursion, outing, jaunt, tour, airing, turn,sally;More

2. 2.
    a roller coaster, roundabout, or other amusement ridden at a fair or amusement park.
to drive = fahren
to ride = reiten
car = Auto
bicycle = Fahrrad

to drive a car = Autofahren
to drive a bicycle = Fahrradfahren

Its even in the fucking word for the fucking thing. Fahrrad.

Imho some guy with 2 teeth in his mouth thought he was being funny, trolling the world by naming the activity riding. Not with me!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
to drive = fahren
to ride = reiten
car = Auto
bicycle = Fahrrad

to drive a car = Autofahren
to drive a bicycle = Fahrradfahren

Its even in the fucking word for the fucking thing. Fahrrad.

Imho some guy with 2 teeth in his mouth thought he was being funny, trolling the world by naming the activity riding. Not with me!
Well my friend, we are speaking English, not....whatever you posted. In English, you drive cars and ride bicycles. Maybe you should amend YOUR language to fit HRH The Queen of England.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Well my friend, we are speaking English, not....whatever you posted. In English, you drive cars and ride bicycles. Maybe you should amend YOUR language to fit HRH The Queen of England.
It were the Germanic tribes who went astray in the first place that made some shit up.

As German I claim judgement over any Indo-Germanic languages!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
It were the Germanic tribes who went astray in the first place that made some shit up.

As German I claim judgement over any Indo-Germanic languages!
You probably want to skirt over German history.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015

Back to cardio
I think I love you vutu ladyboy.