I'm going to build a biltong box

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If you are unsure what biltong is, it is dried meat, similar to jerky. Originating in South Africa, it is delicious but quite expensive to buy.

I am going to build a box to make it myself. Effectively, it will be a wooden box with hooks, a light bulb, a fan and a drip tray.

I will capture progress in this thread.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I was going to build it out of wood but I just scored a 60L plastic box with hinged lid in Wilkinsons today for £5 brand new. This will save me loads of time and cash, although it won't look as nice. Maybe I'll build a bigger one out of wood if this works well.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My boss is South African, he built one of these. I love when he brings the finished product in.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
OK, I've built it. Pics above. Cost me about £10. Off to buy some meat to get this bad boy going

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Biltong is the best shit ever!!!!!!!!!! When my diet is over im getting 2lbs of that shit. The good real shit straight from my home country of RSA!

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
Do you think the plastic box will effect flavor? Kinda like weed ina plastic container does. Idk how safe it would be to heat that up inside a plastic box. But im sure down to try it?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Do you think the plastic box will effect flavor? Kinda like weed ina plastic container does. Idk how safe it would be to heat that up inside a plastic box. But im sure down to try it?
Not sure. I think the biltong seasoning will be pretty overpowering. It's only a 28W halogen bulb.
What's the light bulb for?
Provide some heat to help dry the meat and to create a bit of an air current. The fan dominates that role though