'I'm so sorry' - Conor McGregor's ex-trainer begs forgiveness from family for fatal punch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

The martial arts expert who formerly trained with UFC champ Conor McGregor has begged the forgiveness of the family of a Dublin dad who died after he punched him.

Jonathan Dargan hit former Guinness worker Paddy Mullally (57) outside an apartment complex in Harold's Cross in the early hours of Saturday, March 5, when Mullally tried to intervene in a row.

Mr Mullally died the next day from the head injury he received when he fell backwards from the punch and hit his head on the ground.

He had earlier been to his retirement party and stopped off at his local, Peggy Kelly's in Harolds Cross, for a drink on his way home.

It was as he was leaving that he spotted Dargan and a woman fighting on the street.

"I'm so sorry. It was an accident. I'm devastated and heartbroken for that man and his family. All I can say is I'm crushed," said Dargan.

"If I could take back everything that happened that night I would, but all I can do is beg his family for their forgiveness. It was a genuine mistake."

Dargan had been drinking on a night out with his partner when somebody asked him about his mother, Mary, who was shot dead two years ago in Tallaght. His sister Karina was also injured in the attack.

A man is currently before the courts in connection with the shooting, but it is believed that Dargan was in a low mood after he was asked about his mother because it was Mother's Day the following day.

Heartbroken

Dargan works as a doorman at the popular Lillie's Bordello nightclub, off Grafton Street, and also teaches Taekwan-do to children, but he has no previous convictions and has not come to the attention of gardai before.

Sources close to Dargan have said he left Lillie's after being out with his partner and got into his car, which he had intended leaving in town for the night. They had earlier been to the Adele concert.

"His girlfriend had been pleading with him not to drive but he was too far gone to listen. It was 3.30am and Jonathan had been drinking since 8pm," the source said.

"He pulled over in Harold's Cross and she got out of the car. He went back to try and convince her to get back into the car and found her at a bus stop, and the argument started again."

It is understood that Dargan told gardai they were first approached by a man on a bicycle who asked what was going on and that Dargan had cursed at him.

Dargan then recalled that there were two or three people around him.

It is believed he told gardai that he hit one of them and had a row with a second man before another person tried to drag him away.

After he got out of this person's grip he thinks he hit Paddy, grabbed his girlfriend and got back into his car.

Sources say Dargan woke the next day with little recollection of what happened and went to work on Saturday night as normal.

But while he was there he heard of the reports of the assault in Harold's Cross.

Questioned

After work, he drove towards his home before pulling in to a filling station, where a garda told him they were making inquiries about silver cars that had been out the night before.

At that stage it is believed Dargan told gardai he believed he was the man they were looking for.

He was brought to Terenure Garda Station and questioned, and broke down when he was told of Paddy's death. He was later released without charge and a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Paddy Mullally's funeral is due to take place tommorrow in the Church of St Pius X in Templeogue at 11.30am.

LINK to article: 'I'm so sorry' - Conor McGregor's ex-trainer begs forgiveness from family for fatal punch - Independent.ie

P

Punch

Sweets @Sweets is this a legit source? I know next to nothing about Paddy papers. If so it's a damn shame. Street fighting is never to be taken lightly. Bad shit can go down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Sweets @Sweets is this a legit source? I know next to nothing about Paddy papers. If so it's a damn shame. Street fighting is never to be taken lightly. Bad shit can down.
They hate MMA, but they're legit as it gets, unless talking about the guy who owns them.

P

Punch

Also: "He was later released without charge and a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions."

WTF? Does this mean he's going to potentially be charged later or not at all?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Horrible situation for everyone involved. I've told the story here before, of an almost identical situation that occurred here in Louisville w/ an old acquaintance of mine. He was at a German festival here in town w/ family. They had been drinking a bit. Some redneck approaches them and starts making fun of his female cousin who suffered from downs syndrome. POS move. Anyway, this guy I know punches this guy one time. He falls back, hits his head on the concrete and dies from brain hemorrhaging. They initially charged him with murder, but it got reduced to manslaughter. He served about 5 years. Just some things to think about before you decide to throw hands.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Also: "He was later released without charge and a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions."

Probably means they're investigating and he will likely be charged when it's complete. Why they aren't holding him in the meantime, I can't comment. I don't know how the system works in Ireland.

P

Punch

Horrible situation for everyone involved. I've told the story here before, of an almost identical situation that occurred here in Louisville w/ an old acquaintance of mine. He was at a German festival here in town w/ family. They had been drinking a bit. Some redneck approaches them and starts making fun of his female cousin who suffered from downs syndrome. POS move. Anyway, this guy I know punches this guy one time. He falls back, hits his head on the concrete and dies from brain hemorrhaging. They initially charged him with murder, but it got reduced to manslaughter. He served about 5 years. Just some things to think about before you decide to throw hands.
That sucks homie.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Another thing to think about is how you're going to kill all witnesses

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015

He'll most likely be charged with some lower manslaughter charge. DPP equals DA, they are the state prosecutors.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Sad but all too common. I was involved in a brawl where a guy was hospitalized and very nearly died from his head hitting the pavement. I wasn't the one that hit him but remember the feeling of adrenaline and stupid macho pride after getting a few good licks in on his buddies immediately giving way to a feeling of pure horror when I realized the guy laying there wasn't moving and frankly just looked completely dead. You could just see everyone else suddenly have the same reaction when they realized too.

Thank fuck he pulled through with a clean bill of health, everyone involved in that stupid shit could have had their lives effected over the most silly little reason. And this guy who got killed wasn't even involved in such stupidity, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Happens more than people think. I also knew a guy in a similar situation. He got in a fight with his neighbor. Hit him one time. He thought he knocked the guy out then he took his kids to King's Island only to find out the guy actually hit his head and died.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Can somebody translate that article into English? Its early in the morning and my head is spinning trying to read that.