I'm thinking about buying a knife TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
get a Mora Pathfinder fixed blade ($65), a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur folder (<$60), and a Smith's Adjustable Sharpener ($20)

Don't forget a sharpening system, regardless of what you get.
My knives are dulling- is the Smith's mentioned above good for any folder? I've had them professionally sharped and wasn't impressed...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
My knives are dulling- is the Smith's mentioned above good for any folder? I've had them professionally sharped and wasn't impressed...
i use it on my Kershaw Intellect. It's better than me with a whetstone, but not as good as Grandpa with a whetstone.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Google "stropping", simple as using a leather pants belt. More often than not the edge needs a little maintenance, not full on sharpening.

I only ever sharpen on a stone if the edge has ding of some sort that needs cleaning up. My knives are kept hair popping sharp with just a strop 95% of the time.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Google "stropping", simple as using a leather pants belt. More often than not the edge needs a little maintenance, not full on sharpening.

I only ever sharpen on a stone if the edge has ding of some sort that needs cleaning up. My knives are kept hair popping sharp with just a strop 95% of the time.
Right, the "pro" did that after using a wheel stone without too much luck. I may have just let it go too long.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Right, the "pro" did that after using a wheel stone without too much luck. I may have just let it go too long.
Yep, you might be surprised. Looping a leather belt around a door handle or putting the buckle end in a dresser drawer and closing it makes a quick and dirty strop that works great. Use some printer paper to test the edge as you go and to see the progress.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Might want to check into these if you're looking for a hand made high quality blade. He's a member here too.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
cold steel mini tanto
I bought cold steel knives for my brother and 3 friends when they were groomsmen in my wedding. Each one got something different. It was a lot of money at the time to buy 4 knives while also paying for the wedding, but I regret not getting one for myself too:). I like the tanto style blades a lot.

Maybe it’s finally time to buy one for myself....

I bought cold steel knives for my brother and 3 friends when they were groomsmen in my wedding. Each one got something different. It was a lot of money at the time to buy 4 knives while also paying for the wedding, but I regret not getting one for myself too:). I like the tanto style blades a lot.

Maybe it’s finally time to buy one for myself....
Get yourself one and all will exalt you- Grateful Dude, and Tanto.

It really is a versatile knife, but it's got a very stabby shape so it's got to be good for putting holes in things.
It slices just about anything, and it's surprisingly good for cutting out chunks of earth and grass (don't ask). I'd like to explore more of it's practical uses but afraid of looking like a total nutcase, fiddling about with a fuck-off knife in the local woods- yeah that'd go over well.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I have 4 butterfly knives. Excellent for hand-eye coordination. And for slice-stabbing mouthy fools.

I love this one:

Get you some.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
it's surprisingly good for cutting out chunks of earth and grass (don't ask)
Saying "don't ask" only enhances my curiosity ;).

I'll take your word though that the knife is proficient with tasks involving earth/grass.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have 4 butterfly knives. Excellent for hand-eye coordination. And for slice-stabbing mouthy fools.

I love this one:

Get you some.
are butterfly knives legal where you are? I'd have to look for some details, but I believe a few years back Texas changed some rules and made them legal to own and carry. The way I remember it, you'll still get in trouble if you have one and get caught committing a crime as it's a "deadly weapon", but it's ok to have as a general carry item for law abiding folk. I assume this is a law that varies state to state, but when I was younger it was bad to get caught with one of these bad boys.

I still have a scar on my thumb from trying to do cool shit with a balisong 30 years ago :D. Unfortunately, I was never all that proficient at whipping that thing around.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
are butterfly knives legal where you are? I'd have to look for some details, but I believe a few years back Texas changed some rules and made them legal to own and carry. The way I remember it, you'll still get in trouble if you have one and get caught committing a crime as it's a "deadly weapon", but it's ok to have as a general carry item for law abiding folk. I assume this is a law that varies state to state, but when I was younger it was bad to get caught with one of these bad boys.

I still have a scar on my thumb from trying to do cool shit with a balisong 30 years ago :D. Unfortunately, I was never all that proficient at whipping that thing around.
The law is absolutely retarded:

In California, balisong/switchblade knives are legal to own, buy, sell, and transport if the length of the blade is not more than 2 inches. If the length of the blade is more than 2 inches they are illegal to buy, sell, transfer, or possess in public although it is legal to possess one if kept at home.

It's the same BS with Nunchucks, proving an old trope about prejudice towards Asian weapons.
I can walk to Walmart and buy a gun though - but nunchucks and butterfly knives? Oh hell no. Just lol..
Many states have the same nonsense... i.e. you can "open carry" knives no problem, but you can't 'conceal' them... wtf?