In light of EJU, the UFC should host it's own annual Judo tourney

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Feb 21, 2015
The European Judo Unions's decision to pull it's event from Glasgow because the UFC used to support it is pretty pathetic.

Here is a nice quote from their website:

"Thank you if you have nominated someone for an award and please remember we are looking for some amazing sponsors to support our awards winners." -- I guess a multi billion dollar company falls short of "amazing sponsor" - who knows, maybe they are waiting for Alibaba to throw their name in the hat.

I think it would be cool if the UFC has an annual "Ultimate Martial Arts Championship" which was an all day event and included attractive cash prizes for events in Judo, BJJ, Muy Thai/kickboxing, and wrestling. (Boxing already has a very established platform and I wouldn't see the need to include that). They could make it day three of the UFC Fan Expo or an event unto itself.art of the Fan expos would be cool because you could get a lot of UFC fighters there and possibly some to participate. It would also be a great way to scout for raw talent and build core disciplines. It's also perfect programming for FightPass.

What do you think, would you attend or watch something like this?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Would be a fun event to be sure and promoted right could easily make a profit(#1 concern for anyone who would run an event like that).

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Of course they should. But they won't. For the same reason we are still stuck with nu-metal as an intro.

The company has made some good decisions and some bad ones. But the biggest mistake is the continual refusal to try new things.

I know that the casual fan just wants a big KO, but they could use such an event to educate the ground game. Just dont put on frank shamrock in braces to do it ;)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty;n25432 said:
Of course they should. But they won't. For the same reason we are still stuck with nu-metal as an intro.

The company has made some good decisions and some bad ones. But the biggest mistake is the continual refusal to try new things.

I know that the casual fan just wants a big KO, but they could use such an event to educate the ground game. Just dont put on frank shamrock in braces to do it ;)

This. They refuse to, are incapable of, thinking outside of the box and embracing change.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Splinty;n25432 said:

good points. The UFC seems to lack the creativity of Pride. They are trying too hard to copy boxing production values which is quite minimal to save costs. They should put on a show like Pride.

oh and thanks for the tag props DuckHunt! glad you got my invite :rambo:

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I like the idea, but I think Zuffa should figure out how to put on fights again before they explore any other events.......they lost their ability or desire to put together good cards over the last few years.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
just read that yesterday

French Judo Federation: Immediate Ban for all Judokas Teaching MMA

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/french...-teaching-mma/ [HR][/HR]

This week it was announced that the European Judo Championships , scheduled for April in Glasgow, would not take place in the Scottish city.

This occurred only eight weeks before the event is due to take place following a row over a sponsorship agreement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

The UFC had announced earlier this month that they would support the Championships with branding, marketing and by promoting it to its audience of mixed martial artists (MMA), but the European Judo Union today claimed the sponsorship did not meet their “values”.

International Judo Federation (IJF) President Marius Vizer had warned last year that a migration of judokas to other sports would represent a “spiritual contamination” of the sport amid fears that top stars were being lured to MMA.

Now the president of the French Judo Federation, Jean-Luc Rouge, who is also General Secretary of the International Judo Federation (IJF) has officially prohibited all Judoka from teaching MMA in France (France together with Norway are one of the rare countries where MMA is still ilegal), with a threat of immediate ban from the federation. from L’Equipe Magazine :
” Anyone (in judo) caught teaching MMA (Mixed martial arts) , will be removed from the French Judo Federation, announced its president, Jean-Luc Rouge on Friday. ” MMA is illegal in France. All those (note: in judo clubs) who teach do not have the right and are liable to be written off. They put the Federation in trouble and if there is serious injury, it will be my fault.”
The Judo federation fears that some of their biggest stars such as Teddy Riner will migrate to MMA

This comes as no surprise following the comments from the same Jean-Luc Rouge who in an interview with L’Equipe TV said that MMA fighters were stupid :
“These new combat sports (MMA) seem like they come out of a video game. These guys are stupid enough to kill each other in front of everyone in a cage and they are well paid, so they would accept. Sport is not war! We must be able to shake hands and go have a beer together in the end, “he said​
This comes a few months after IJF (International Judo Federation) was reported to be preparing a project deemed “confidential”. The French Judo Federation and Associated Disciplines (FFJDA) is the 4th biggest National Sports Federation in France with over 570,000 licensees, and plans to create a new sport, “Mixed Jujitsu Arts.” In other words, MJA. An acronym that makes you think of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), the most popular combat sport of the moment, which allows for ground strikes in addition to boxing techniques, wrestling, judo and grappling. This is obviously not a coincidence.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
and here I thought Zuffa had done something wrong.

That Jean-Luc Rouge is a massive faggot trying to keep MMA out of France.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It's sad what has happened to Judo in the last few decades. A bunch of panty-wastes running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Mertvaya Ruka;n26191 said:
and here I thought Zuffa had done something wrong.

That Jean-Luc Rouge is a massive faggot trying to keep MMA out of France.

Yeah, that article paints a totally different picture now. Sad to see it being handled this way. Seems to me like both sports could co-exist and benefit from one another.