In massive windstorm. Trying to save baby squirrels

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It's quite the windstorm here, a whole nest of baby squirrels flew to the ground. Trying to nurse them back to health. Any tips?
Using an eye dropper now and good ol fashioned American milk.
Power out, heating it in a jar with torch.
Pic/vid soon...

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Get some nuts? Heck, I dunno. I once raised a pigeon on milk and bread

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It's quite the windstorm here, a whole nest of baby squirrels flew to the ground. Trying to nurse them back to health. Any tips?
Pic/vid soon...
Eat them. Squirrel is the thinking man's chicken.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Pic/vid soon...
Less is more, don't kill them with too much "kindness"

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
In addition to warmth, the most important first treatment you will give the baby squirrel you have found is rehydration. Any baby has encountered trauma by being separated from Mama: the separation may have been a few hours, or days. The younger the baby the greater the risk of dehydration and if you do not rehydrate you will lose it. Even the healthiest looking babies should first be rehydrated. Most people immediately give the new baby milk of some kind.

DON'T DO IT. A baby will not starve to death over a 24-hour period, but it can surely die of dehydration. Rehydrate first. I repeat: Do not start the baby immediately on formula, rehydrate first.

Squirrel Tales - Care Instructions For Infant Squirrels

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
In addition to warmth, the most important first treatment you will give the baby squirrel you have found is rehydration. Any baby has encountered trauma by being separated from Mama: the separation may have been a few hours, or days. The younger the baby the greater the risk of dehydration and if you do not rehydrate you will lose it. Even the healthiest looking babies should first be rehydrated. Most people immediately give the new baby milk of some kind.

DON'T DO IT. A baby will not starve to death over a 24-hour period, but it can surely die of dehydration. Rehydrate first. I repeat: Do not start the baby immediately on formula, rehydrate first.

Squirrel Tales - Care Instructions For Infant Squirrels

Great advice!

They were looking for mama's tit out of habit and brokenness.
After a bit it occurred to me they'll live without it, it's water they need, especially after the shock.

It was not a maple, but Douglas fir they fell from, their nest being at least 50' high.
The wind knocked out power and 4G here for 18 hours. And it threw these little ones the the pavement.
Their noses were bloody, they couldn't move.
Once in awhile they'd scream for mom, but fell silent from exhaustion and injury.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Happy ending :)

It looked grim for awhile.
Particularly when their sibling tumbled down out of the fir into some rhododendrons 3hours later, and I had to fight with my panther to keep him from enjoying a snack.

So now, 3 squirrels deep, I let them rest in security, twisted one up and went to town on a six pack of Blue Moon.

All of a sudden, MAMA shows up!
She comes to rescue her babies out of our makeshift nest, and one by one over the course of 20 minutes, they are with mama in a new nest, right where they belong.
:)

Power is restored, and all is well. :)

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Pic/vid soon...
They look old enough to eat real food on their own. Mix peanut butter and milk and put it on a plate. They should take to it. I've raised a lot of squirrels and released them when they were ready to go. Also, squirrel mothers will come back for their young if you leave them alone, unlike birds.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
More pics of the devastation

Washington needed rain, not this :-(

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Yay!!! I used that link for my last rescue. So glad the babies are ok. I was treating them like baby hamsters thinking the mom would kill them over scent. The only ate a little until I cradled them like a football and fed them that way.
So glad they're ok. Good job Sparks Family!!

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Happy ending :)

It looked grim for awhile.
Particularly when their sibling tumbled down out of the fir into some rhododendrons 3hours later, and I had to fight with my panther to keep him from enjoying a snack.

So now, 3 squirrels deep, I let them rest in security, twisted one up and went to town on a six pack of Blue Moon.

All of a sudden, MAMA shows up!
She comes to rescue her babies out of our makeshift nest, and one by one over the course of 20 minutes, they are with mama in a new nest, right where they belong.
:)

Power is restored, and all is well. :)
Amazing!! You did a great thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2015
It was fuckin nutso out there. I was staying in Lynnwood and was driving around from Seattle to Lake Stevens that day. Glad the squirrels are safe. If you ever need some wildlife rescue, you can take em to PAWS in Lynnwood, they have a wildlife rehab center.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
That is some high level humanity you're sporting sir.

Holy fallen trees, when I saw the first few I was like it must be cool living in the forest, but I think I'll need a sturdier umbrella.