IN SEARCH OF STRANGE BREW...(TUF)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
In Search of Strange Brew... - MMA Fighting

Ten years after the original Ultimate Fightertelevision show put the UFC on the map, one of its cast members fell off. So … whatever happened to Jason Thacker, the quirky Canadian that trained out of the old abandoned truck stop?
 TWEET (458) SHARE (3321)PIN 118 COMMENTS
I’ve long been fascinated with Jason Thacker. It’s very possible I’m the only one. Why? It’s sort of complicated. I suspect it stems from overthinking a word like "belonging." In the short history of the UFC, he was a person that ended up in the exact wrong place at the exact right time. Or maybe it was the right place at the wrong time. Whatever it was, man did he catch a lot of hell just for being there. And back then, being there meant something. Remember that?

The original Ultimate Fighter began airing in January 2005, and has long since been accepted as the jolt the UFC needed to break through. If Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin hadn’t had that rapturous, go-for-broke brawl on April 9 in the finale, there might not be a UFC today. That fight hit the broader living room like a magic potion. It was the culmination of something, but it doubled as a real-time epiphany — suddenly mixed martial arts was being translated for people who didn’t speak the language. All at once, it was as if light broke over the taboo.

People got it. Dana White later called it Zuffa’s "Trojan Horse."

And as an extension of that single fight, going backwards, the show itself has achieved a kind of cult status. During that nine-week stretch in 2004, a cast of 16 fighters gave the sport something it was in dire need of: Personality. It was those eight middleweights and eight light heavyweights, crammed into a Las Vegas mansion, with boom mics hovering overhead and small rooms set up as confessionals, that first humanized the spectacle. The barbarians, it turned out, were actual people. They had lives, families, neuroses, pet peeves, idiosyncrasies, dreams, easy to grasp sanity....

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Sadly he was brought in to lose. if they really wanted to find guys to bring in to win he would not have been on that list.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Great article. Sad that he was chewed up and shat out but that's not uncommon.

Leben is probably even less well-off now even though he lived the dream that Thacker once dreamed.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Man ppl are cruel pieces f shit..I've always been drawn to loaners and took up for them..Kenny and Clementi are good guys for being good to him..

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just got done reading it. Great piece, I've often wondered about him. I hope someone gets him a t shirt

Cody Gibson

UFC Bantamweight
Pro Fighter
Mar 19, 2015
This was one of the best MMA articles I've ever read. Great to hear one of the stories that you otherwise would have never heard.