Info on Romero "weight-gate"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/068/068013700A01400R.html
Contestants who fail to make the weight for their designated weight class shall be given up to 2 hours to make required weight. Any contestant who fails to make the weight shall be disqualified unless both contestants consent to participate in the scheduled bout. The weight differential shall be approved by the Division; bouts may be cancelled per the Division's discretion.

1. There are reports that showed it was 1hr 56 minutes between the weigh-ins
2. He had to be helped walking after the last attempt, so any further cutting was not advisable
3. His team said he missed weight on purpose because he thought he could get the 2hrs
4. The rules say "up to 2hrs", not a full 2hrs. If he couldn't walk without help, the AC did the right thing.

This was 100% on Romero

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Contestants who fail to make the weight for their designated weight class shall be given up to 2 hours to make required weight. Any contestant who fails to make the weight shall be disqualified unless both contestants consent to participate in the scheduled bout. The weight differential shall be approved by the Division; bouts may be cancelled per the Division's discretion.

2. He had to be helped walking after the last attempt, so any further cutting was not advisable
3. His team said he missed weight on purpose because he thought he could get the 2hrs
4. The rules say "up to 2hrs", not a full 2hrs. If he couldn't walk without help, the AC did the right thing.

This was 100% on Romero
Interesting......he was quite happy to blame the commission and point 3, lol

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

This was 100% on Romero
true

but it was also .2lbs

.2lbs didn't help him in that fight IMO

Did he miss his contracted weight..yes

bit confused as to how many are hating on Yoel...I like the guy

but MMA fans have their favorites and their grudges so I fully understand

Helluva fight

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
I hate him because he has shown he has no honor, and I can't support that in a sport.

I'd want him on my side in a real fight, because I guarantee he'd be an eye gouging, fish-hooking, ball crushing demon, but that 'anything to win; if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying' mentality doesn't belong in MMA. The fact he pretends to be a happy, nice christian makes it even worse, imo.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I hate him because he has shown he has no honor, and I can't support that in a sport.

I'd want him on my side in a real fight, because I guarantee he'd be an eye gouging, fish-hooking, ball crushing demon, but that 'anything to win; if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying' mentality doesn't belong in MMA. The fact he pretends to be a happy, nice christian makes it even worse, imo.
Thats exactly the kind of guy you want on your side in a fight. Have you ever been in a fight in real life.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

How no honor?

I find him honorable

Stool gate was a joke IMO

Peds? Maybe

Missing weight happens IMO. Especially at 41

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
How no honor?

I find him honorable

Stool gate was a joke IMO

Peds? Maybe

Missing weight happens IMO. Especially at 41
I'm not going to write an essay on the guy, but #3 in the OP is the latest example of him trying to play/disrespect the system/his opponent. I'll save you scrolling up:

Guys go in there with existing injuries, fight against bigger guys because of the dumb weight classes, continue to battle when they know they have no chance of winning, because they are true Martial Artists. Then you get the Romeros who are always looking to cheat for every little advantage.

There's difference between a true battle and a competition between Martial Artists using agreed upon rules. Romero doesn't seem to get that. It has brought him success. I will never be a fan.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
true

but it was also .2lbs

.2lbs didn't help him in that fight IMO

Did he miss his contracted weight..yes

but MMA fans have their favorites and their grudges so I fully understand

Helluva fight

The .2 was after an additional 2hrs he was granted & he could barely walk when he was weighed in.
This was not a short notice fight
This was 100% Yoel's fault
His team (as usual) tried to play the system & lost

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not going to write an essay on the guy, but #3 in the OP is the latest example of him trying to play/disrespect the system/his opponent. I'll save you scrolling up:

Guys go in there with existing injuries, fight against bigger guys because of the dumb weight classes, continue to battle when they know they have no chance of winning, because they are true Martial Artists. Then you get the Romeros who are always looking to cheat for every little advantage.

There's difference between a true battle and a competition between Martial Artists using agreed upon rules. Romero doesn't seem to get that. It has brought him success. I will never be a fan.
LOL ok...did you lose money on the kennedy fight or did he beat a favorite fighter of yours?

Love your posts but I don't get the Hate

Yoel is one of the best to ever fight MMA and that is clear as Day

When he didn't get decision, he gave Whitaker congrats and moved on
BJM says doctor is one who held up Tim Kennedy fight
PED thing was said to be a tainted sup that was actually found tested and confirmed...I always find that suspicious

To each their own...enjoy

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The .2 was after an additional 2hrs he was granted & he could barely walk when he was weighed in.
100% his fault
I agree

He has no basis to sue or complain about the commission...Has a right to complain about judging but that is a separate thread

But he fought his ass off and deserves respect IMO

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Curious as to how it is an advantage to be at 185 later in the day instead of earlier...I am missing that angle

would it not make it harder to put on maximum weight before the actual fight?

Not trying to stick up for him...just trying to understand the venom about him

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Curious as to how it is an advantage to be at 185 later in the day instead of earlier...I am missing that angle

would it not make it harder to put on maximum weight before the actual fight?

Not trying to stick up for him...just trying to understand the venom about him
I have no venom
He had more time than needed to make a contractual weight & didn't.
His team admitted they did not make it at the official weigh-in on purpose

As to why?
He could have felt eating better the weeks leading up to the fight was more important.
He supposedly got a nutritionist earlier that week, while others usually do it a week (or so) earlier.

If people are giving him shit, it might be:
1. He cost everyone a title fight again.
2. He missed weight before
3. Blaming everyone but himself & lying about the situation

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have no venom
He had more time than needed to make a contractual weight & didn't.
His team admitted they did not make it at the official weigh-in on purpose

As to why?
He could have felt eating better the weeks leading up to the fight was more important.
He supposedly got a nutritionist earlier that week, while others usually do it a week (or so) earlier.

If people are giving him shit, it might be:
1. He cost everyone a title fight again.
2. He missed weight before
3. Blaming everyone but himself & lying about the situation
some good points

Unless Yoel says it, I can't say I for sure believe he did it on purpose...His camp is for sure gonna push an agenda since they are considering suing the commission..not saying that is the case but gotta take a camp's word with a grain of salt IMO

Definitely should have had a nutritionist after missing vs Luke

Has he directly been quoted or recorded as blaming everyone else? I haven't seen this yet...again his camp is financially invested and $$$ = Lies and redirection of blame(You know this because you are a numbers guy)

I think people would be even more pissed if he made weight and won the Belt...I get the vibe people just don't wanna see him win.

I still think making weight in the morning is a better way to be a bigger man on fight night and so that angle is hard to understand if logic is applied IMO

I like watching Yoel because he pulls off late power KOs on the regular and that is very rare in this sport.
I also get that he deserves some blame and that his and his camps antics can put people off.

I just don't get as bent out of shape as some over a few lbs or a belt(both mean very little if you are an old school MMA fan like myself)

I didn't think you had much venom but on many boards(here in included) there are some serious haters and some of the reasons aren't justified IMO....This is a phenomenon that I may also be guilty of...MMA is rife with fans sticking up for their "guy" regardless of what he has or hasn't done

Does Kelvin Gastelum get this much hate? If so I never saw it and he seems loved.

Call me crazy but Nationalism can make some haters of MMA fans and sometimes It gets ugly...not saying this is a clear case of that but it may be one of the variables.

Thanks for your thoughts/answer

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Has he directly been quoted or recorded as blaming everyone else? I haven't seen this yet...again his camp is financially invested and $$$ = Lies and redirection of blame(You know this because you are a numbers guy)
Yes
The video shows him weighing in at 1hr 54 minutes later & he had to be held up when walking away

Thanks for your thoughts/answer
Backatcha man

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yes
The video shows him weighing in at 1hr 54 minutes later & he had to be held up when walking away
OK what is that supposed to tell me?

I just mean until Yoel makes excuses without his camp around feeding him the lines, I can't be convinced that is his thoughts. I just don't feel comfortable calling him a liar and excuse maker. Totally fine with others doing that, but I won't in this case.

I saw the vid where he was all gimped/drained...Commission could have called the fight IMO...he was lucky they didn't

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
OK what is that supposed to tell me?

I just mean until Yoel makes excuses without his camp around feeding him the lines, I can't be convinced that is his thoughts. I just don't feel comfortable calling him a liar and excuse maker. Totally fine with others doing that, but I won't in this case.

I saw the vid where he was all gimped/drained...Commission could have called the fight IMO...he was lucky they didn't
Did you hear his post fight speech?
He blamed the commission

Also if your team says something & you don't dispute it, that is on the fighter.

Nov 21, 2015

This was 100% on Romero
Wow. Interesting.

Malki said on MMA Hour that they have filed a lawsuit.

He said it was the regulators that told them they would have an additional 2hrs and after
hearing that then decided they may as well take advantage. He said they cleared Romero and told
him he had 2hrs and then sent 3 different doctors to the room he was cutting in to monitor him where
they cleared him once again for the 2hrs.

Then he said suddenly they get a message from the commission that they had changed their mind

This may well play out in court. Gonna be interesting as both sides
are saying something different now

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Did you hear his post fight speech?
He blamed the commission

Also if your team says something & you don't dispute it, that is on the fighter.
Nope...was trying to figure out how they scored it that way...I don't usually listen to Joe's interviews(robert whitaker interview is an example of why...heard that next day and Joe was way out of line IMO)

Fair enough...If yoel said it then he meant it in some form...I blame the weight cut on him and did since he missed on his first attempt.

Wonder how many other times the commission has cut the weight cut window short or made them go to scale cause of condition? Do you have knowledge of other examples? Honestly curious.

that said I don't think he is a bad guy...far worse cheaters are boosted up and beloved by most MMA fans

But he fucked his weight up twice in a row and that ain't cool IMO

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Wonder how many other times the commission has cut the weight cut window short or made them go to scale cause of condition? Do you have knowledge of other examples? Honestly curious.
according to the actual video it was 1hr & 54 minutes & he needed help walking away
If the video is accurate then he had his 2 hrs & was not that healthy afterwards.

There has been instances, in the past but I cannot remember off-hand