inguinal hernia :(

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Some bad news. I have some pain in my groin and I'm pretty sure it's an inguinal hernia.

I don't know if I have this for sure but I'll find out tonight or tomorrow morning.

I've checked online guys were saying they couldn't roll for 6-8 weeks. This fucking sucks. I just started rolling and have a competition soon.

I feel like if I'm out for that long I'm basically back at square one when I rejoin the class again.

I really hope it's just a sprained or bruised groin and surgery is not needed.

M

member 603

Listen to your body, don't kill yourself in there (remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint). Still attend classes and practice techniques (those you can do), just don't spar. You may discover that you're better in less than 6-8 weeks.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Let's see what the doc says first. I will ask if surgery is necessary and if I can still train. If surgery needs to be done I will do it asap and just hope for a quick recovery.

I will probably still attend class and take notes until I can get back on the mat

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Let's see what the doc says first. I will ask if surgery is necessary and if I can still train. If surgery needs to be done I will do it asap and just hope for a quick recovery.

I will probably still attend class and take notes until I can get back on the mat
Lots of things can cause groin pain that mimic a hernia, but aren't. Hopefully you will get good news when you see your doctor.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Lots of things can cause groin pain that mimic a hernia, but aren't. Hopefully you will get good news when you see your doctor.

I really hope so. Although I think I have the symptoms of an hernia and from what I've seen online this is a pretty common groin injury in bjj. I'm going to my local walk in centre soon so I will find out what's up shortly

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Some bad news. I have some pain in my groin and I'm pretty sure it's an inguinal hernia.

I don't know if I have this for sure but I'll find out tonight or tomorrow morning.

I've checked online guys were saying they couldn't roll for 6-8 weeks. This fucking sucks. I just started rolling and have a competition soon.

I feel like if I'm out for that long I'm basically back at square one when I rejoin the class again.

I really hope it's just a sprained or bruised groin and surgery is not needed.
Can you feel it coming through your stomach?

M

member 603

I really hope so. Although I think I have the symptoms of an hernia and from what I've seen online this is a pretty common groin injury in bjj. I'm going to my local walk in centre soon so I will find out what's up shortly

Oh nooooooo..... Please don't tell me that you're Web MDing your symptoms..... You do that and you'll think that EVERYTHING is cancer.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Oh nooooooo..... Please don't tell me that you're Web MDing your symptoms..... You do that and you'll think that EVERYTHING is cancer.

Lool I know what you mean that's why I'm taking everything I read online with a grain of salt. Pretty sure it's a growing hernia though. I'm at the place now waiting to be seen

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Well the doctor couldn't find a hernia. He said that if I had an hernia, it would be in my stomach and he definitely would have felt it.

Probably a pulled muscle. Rest, take anti inflammatory and no bjj for a week. Well he said training he didn't know what bjj was. Blood pressure and everything else was perfect

I'll be rolling on Thursday :)

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Well the doctor couldn't find a hernia. He said that if I had an hernia, it would be in my stomach and he definitely would have felt it.

Probably a pulled muscle. Rest, take anti inflammatory and no bjj for a week. Well he said training he didn't know what bjj was. Blood pressure and everything else was perfect

I'll be rolling on Thursday :)
Ok here is what I want you to do no joke.
Go to your pharmacy go and buy Epsom Salt Eucylyptus. Make a SUPER hot bath and I mean hot pour 1 cup of the salts in the bath wait about 5 min let the salt melt into the water. Get in for 15 min 2 times a day only 15 for now. In 3 days of doing that come back and let us know how you feel not just that area but overall. Then I will tell you what to do from there.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Ok here is what I want you to do no joke.
Go to your pharmacy go and buy Epsom Salt Eucylyptus. Make a SUPER hot bath and I mean hot pour 1 cup of the salts in the bath wait about 5 min let the salt melt into the water. Get in for 15 min 2 times a day only 15 for now. In 3 days of doing that come back and let us know how you feel not just that area but overall. Then I will tell you what to do from there.
I will definitely do that tomorrow. I've heard of people using Epsom salts in the bath, never thought I would need it.

I'll report back in three days

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I will definitely do that tomorrow. I've heard of people using Epsom salts in the bath, never thought I would need it.

I'll report back in three days
I will tell you what to do after the three days depending on how you feel.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
I had a very similar injury as a white belt. Mine started slowly in training and just got slowly progressively worse. Then at a tournament it got real bad. I had to roll my whole body off the bed to get up in the morning. It sucked. I was somewhat convinced it was sort of sports hernia. Had an MRI and it was a very minor tear, I think he called it a microtears, but essentially the MRI was clean otherwise.

And I was off around 6-8 weeks after some physical therapy. I was able to begin stretching slowly and then little by little more as I got closer to 8 weeks.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
don't push it
took me half a year to recover when they took out my burst appendix

Them ab muscles are used for so much stuff....had to learn to smoke chronic differently

Now it is back to stronger than ever...but for a while I had a vulnerable belly

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I will tell you what to do after the three days depending on how you feel.
So been using the epsom salts for three days now. Still a bit tender if I feel my groin area but it's getting better. Not sure if I'll be able to train again on Thursday though.

Last edited:

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
So been using the epsom salts for three days now. Still a bit tender if I feel my groin areq but it's getting better. Not sure if I'll be able to train again on Thursday though.
Ok so now add 3 cups of salt let it dissolve and do it for 20 min.