Injuries: Why we can't have nice things. Gustafsson out. Jedrzejczyk vs Penne headlines Berlin

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Gustafsson injury forces him off UFC: Berlin, Jedrzejczyk vs Penne is the new main event - Bloody Elbow

The UFC announced that the #2 light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson has been forced to withdraw from UFC Berlin on June 20th, due to an undisclosed injury.

The UFC have managed to pull up a replacement fight for the European market, as undefeated UFC women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk (9-0-0), from Poland, will defend her belt against #3 ranked Jessica Penne (12-3-0) from California. Penne lost to Carla Esparza in the TUF 20 semi-finals, who went on to win the season and the belt before losing the championship to Jedrzejczyk in her first title defense.
Gus is injured with an unknown injury. Did we always have this many fighters out 5-10 years ago? Just feels like its ramped up lately.

And WMMA gets another chance to prove itself as a headliner which is pretty cool.

Other injuries for this year:

Matt Brown-Tarec Saffiediene became Ben Henderson-Brandon Thatch
Rashad Evans-Glover Teixeira became Frank Mir-Bigfoot Silva
Chris Weidman-Vitor Belfort became Ronda Rousey-Cat Zingano at UFC 184
Urijah Faber-Rafael Assuncao became Demian Maia-Ryan LaFlare
TJ Dillashaw-Renan Barao gave way to Demetrious Johnson-Kyoji Horiguchi at UFC 186
Jon Jones-Anthony Johnson becomes Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson at UFC 187
Dammit.

Glover isn't getting any younger. How could the UFC get him on a card soon? LHW falling apart.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Fighters are getting paid a little better, so these guys don't NEED to risk careers to make a few extra dollers. Plus with the risk of being cut after a minor losing streak, its not worth it to go into the cage if you're not close to 100%.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I'm betting its Glover vs Bader to keep things going in LHW.
This is a good fight, but if they want to throw in a European, then Jan Blachowicz is a decent option. He was a bit gun shy against Jimi Manuwa, but it was only his second fight in the UFC, on the main card in his home country, in the first UFC event in his country, it is easy to see how nerves could play a larger part than usual. He's got serious power, and could give Glover a real run for his money. It also wouldn't be a rematch, Bader did get starched by Glover, not too long ago as well.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This is a good fight, but if they want to throw in a European, then Jan Blachowicz is a decent option. He was a bit gun shy against Jimi Manuwa, but it was only his second fight in the UFC, on the main card in his home country, in the first UFC event in his country, it is easy to see how nerves could play a larger part than usual. He's got serious power, and could give Glover a real run for his money. It also wouldn't be a rematch, Bader did get starched by Glover, not too long ago as well.
I'd definetly watch either one. I wonder if Jimi vs Glover would be too big of a mismatch? Could vr fun to watch as both guys love the pocket.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Bader vs Glover makes sense. I wonder if OSP would would be willing to step in and take one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Of course i am just kind of talking here, but does anyone think Gus is kind of traumatized by AJ and the KO? He was really down after that, i mean even considering retirement. Do you think maybe he faked an injury because he isnt ready yet?

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Of course i am just kind of talking here, but does anyone think Gus is kind of traumatized by AJ and the KO? He was really down after that, i mean even considering retirement. Do you think maybe he faked an injury because he isnt ready yet?
he did seem really messed up by the loss, but he would destroy glover. i would literally give glover zero chance to win. it would take gus being on the receiving end of an unfortunate injury.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Glover hits HARD you dont think he could AJ Gus?
nope. gus has a great chin, unless that changed because of rumble. glover would have a hard time trying to get to gus' chin, and i don't think i'd compare his punching power to anthony's. that's just my opinion, but i'd rather take a punch from glover any day. he hasn't looked any good to me in his last few fights either. he isn't evolving at all.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
nope. gus has a great chin, unless that changed because of rumble. glover would have a hard time trying to get to gus' chin, and i don't think i'd compare his punching power to anthony's. that's just my opinion, but i'd rather take a punch from glover any day. he hasn't looked any good to me in his last few fights either. he isn't evolving at all.
That is true i agree with that, he def doesnt seem to be evolving.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Anyone else think Alex is taking this fight off to get a crack at the Cormier/AJ winner?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Anyone else think Alex is taking this fight off to get a crack at the Cormier/AJ winner?
A win would give him a much better argument to justify that shot. I don't see how you could give him a shot over Bader for example.