Interested in what athletic/fitness goals folks here have

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Feb 28, 2015
Anyone into triathlons or ultrarunning or any kind of physical activity where you've set some goals for yourself? Be interested to hear what folks are up to, what people find fun to train for and how, etc.

I am horrible at these kinds of goals but I'm not getting any younger and my body likes to remind me of this fact. I know that i need to step up my game big time if I want to be the fun, active and fit old lady i plan to be. So trying to learn about new things and see if something tickles my fancy.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'm about maintenance and peaking. I maintain my lean body mass and peak my cardio and drop bodyweight for competitions. Aside from that, I do a lot of jiujitsu

Kiriksbackup

Oct 20, 2015
I compete in traithalons occasionally but for me fitness is more about being healthy and feeling good about myself.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I'm 43. Ectomorph. Asthmatic. 2 young kids. I can't train JiuJitsu/wrestling like I used to with a full time job.

Im trying to get stronger so therefore I lift 4 times a week. Every lift twice a week.

On the advice of Leigh on another sc forum ;) I built an aerobic base and in one running season was running half-marathons almost under 2 hours. Since I'm focusing on strength I only run here and there. Last week I ran a 10k race in my city and hit my worst time ever. Still not bad thinking that I barely prepared for it and almost not ran this year.

Once I get a desirable level of strength I'll put it on maintenance ala CAT explained by Leigh (again!) and maybe go back to JiuJitsu if time allows. I might also do some more Olympic weightlifting and become more proficient at it with a friend who did fairly well at the national level.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I am getting ready for a bodybuilding show it was supposed to be Nov 7 or 14 but now since my wife is a competitive dancer she has two shows on those days and my show will get bumped till March 6th! Which sucks because I'm starving but great because I will be shredded and peak on that day. I will get close to contest shape pull back a little bit and then 4-6 weeks out I will step on the gas again.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Yeah, like kirikbackup said, to me it's more about health and longevity... But if I can get stronger and have better cardio then why not?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I ran a 6 mile marathon last year , which was super easy because I used to run 10 miles for soccer practice and 4 miles for baseball practice in high school, I was a catcher and catchers had to run with the pitchers,no homo intended (butt conveyed),I also ran in PT team in NJROTC.

jimmy23

Oct 20, 2015
46 here. I do basic yoga, some running, some bodyweight stuff. My strength training is weighted carries and heavy clubs twice a week or so. My goals are to maintain or gain strength (not that hard for me), and stay healthy. As you get older, you can still train hard, but have to be a lot smarter about it than when you were a youngster

Feb 28, 2015
I'm 43. Ectomorph. Asthmatic. 2 young kids. I can't train JiuJitsu/wrestling like I used to with a full time job.

Im trying to get stronger so therefore I lift 4 times a week. Every lift twice a week.

On the advice of Leigh on another sc forum ;) I built an aerobic base and in one running season was running half-marathons almost under 2 hours. Since I'm focusing on strength I only run here and there. Last week I ran a 10k race in my city and hit my worst time ever. Still not bad thinking that I barely prepared for it and almost not ran this year.

Once I get a desirable level of strength I'll put it on maintenance ala CAT explained by Leigh (again!) and maybe go back to JiuJitsu if time allows. I might also do some more Olympic weightlifting and become more proficient at it with a friend who did fairly well at the national level.
Oh heyyy ectomorph asthmatic here too :|

Feb 28, 2015
I am getting ready for a bodybuilding show it was supposed to be Nov 7 or 14 but now since my wife is a competitive dancer she has two shows on those days and my show will get bumped till March 6th! Which sucks because I'm starving but great because I will be shredded and peak on that day. I will get close to contest shape pull back a little bit and then 4-6 weeks out I will step on the gas again.
I miss competing. I had an injury and then some scary life stuff and then another injury and now I'm fat and I hate it. I feel like I need something to train for but everything I did back in my competition days makes me want to jump off a bridge, hate it now. I'm taking up cross country skiing this winter but trying to find something with a bit of a competitive spirit so that I can train for something, I seem to be more consistent that way.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I miss competing. I had an injury and then some scary life stuff and then another injury and now I'm fat and I hate it. I feel like I need something to train for but everything I did back in my competition days makes me want to jump off a bridge, hate it now. I'm taking up cross country skiing this winter but trying to find something with a bit of a competitive spirit so that I can train for something, I seem to be more consistent that way.
Try Crossfit.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Never! Not after she just spoke about bad injuries. Do you want the girl to be crippled lol
Agreed.
If you want her to join a cult sure join crossfit. :)
Injuries included. But hey, you did the wod like a true champ though.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
You could get into running and still get this competition drive. Get a good running program or coach. Try to improve your time in distances like the 10k and half-marathon fir example. Try to keep an average time of less than 5min/km. etc etc.

that's how I motivated myself for running. That's also how I motivate myself for lifting : push yourself.

Feb 28, 2015
Darqnezz @Darqnezz I actually tried, and liked, Crossfit when I did it a couple years back. It was where my inevitable injury finally manifested...shoulder impingement. And with all of the overhead barbell stuff, it's the exact position I shouldn't be putting my shoulders in, especially with weight so became sort of annoying to try and work around everything. Then i had to have surgery and still have same issue on my right shoulder so have had to stay away from it since.

It did fuel my competitive side but definitely was clear why so many people get hurt doing it. I would cringe at the form people would use and then throw on more weight and go faster and then boom, done. IF you know what you're doing and don't overdo it, I think it can be great.

otaku1 @otaku1 I've wanted to be a runner forever, always appealed to me but every time I try I hate it. I still keep trying though because I still want to be able to go out and just go for a run, especially when I'm traveling. I think your idea is good, find a coach or group and train for a 10k or half and go from there.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Since I stopped training in MMA and Thai boxing, I've been just trying to maintain. My cardio is down because I don't do it much running anymore. Currently on a 5x5 for strength and love it.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Darqnezz @Darqnezz I actually tried, and liked, Crossfit when I did it a couple years back. It was where my inevitable injury finally manifested...shoulder impingement. And with all of the overhead barbell stuff, it's the exact position I shouldn't be putting my shoulders in, especially with weight so became sort of annoying to try and work around everything. Then i had to have surgery and still have same issue on my right shoulder so have had to stay away from it since.

It did fuel my competitive side but definitely was clear why so many people get hurt doing it. I would cringe at the form people would use and then throw on more weight and go faster and then boom, done. IF you know what you're doing and don't overdo it, I think it can be great.

otaku1 @otaku1 I've wanted to be a runner forever, always appealed to me but every time I try I hate it. I still keep trying though because I still want to be able to go out and just go for a run, especially when I'm traveling. I think your idea is good, find a coach or group and train for a 10k or half and go from there.
Girl,

Why do you hate it? To me the difficult part about running was and is the loneliness of it. Running by yourself. So to help me I joined a running club at first and liked it. Then once I got the bug I decided to take it a notch further and hired a coach. The guy was expensive, sure, but he was very competent and took me to another level. I paid him enough money so I followed his instructions. The sunk cost fallacy thing (i think?)

In one season I ended running half-marathons and still having fuel for some more. I'm really asthmatic so to be able to run for hours on end was very rewarding and motivating in itself.

I did the same thing with weightlifting. Hired a coach who was an Olympic athlete recovering from an injury. Not cheap again but it brought me to the gym. Hell, after 2 months of mobility and endless drilling I was able to almost clean and jerk my body weight with good form. Not bad at all.

I hope it makes sense. I guess I have some competitive nature that pushes me to get better despite my 'handicaps'. Paying money for coaching was never a big thing for me because I rarely go out and so I can indulge in those activities that I found rewarding and it's not breaking my budget. I got results and that kept me motivated.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
girlandcoconut @girlandcoconut Yeah, almost everything goes to crap when you add a little competitive edge. But that's what makes sports fun. I'm going through the same with Jiujitsu at the moment. Trying to compete around injuries doesn't seem too smart...lol.

Feb 28, 2015
Girl,

Why do you hate it? To me the difficult part about running was and is the loneliness of it. Running by yourself. So to help me I joined a running club at first and liked it. Then once I got the bug I decided to take it a notch further and hired a coach. The guy was expensive, sure, but he was very competent and took me to another level. I paid him enough money so I followed his instructions. The sunk cost fallacy thing (i think?)

In one season I ended running half-marathons and still having fuel for some more. I'm really asthmatic so to be able to run for hours on end was very rewarding and motivating in itself.

I did the same thing with weightlifting. Hired a coach who was an Olympic athlete recovering from an injury. Not cheap again but it brought me to the gym. Hell, after 2 months of mobility and endless drilling I was able to almost clean and jerk my body weight with good form. Not bad at all.

I hope it makes sense. I guess I have some competitive nature that pushes me to get better despite my 'handicaps'. Paying money for coaching was never a big thing for me because I rarely go out and so I can indulge in those activities that I found rewarding and it's not breaking my budget. I got results and that kept me motivated.
Awesome, yeah, I had a great thing going when I was in Vegas, LOVED working out and being active, here not so much. I've tried a few places and it's all so blah/meh to me which is highly unmotivating. I feed off of good energy and still looking for the kind of outlet that fits well with me.

There is a running store here that has tons of group training options, I think I'm going to sign up for one of those, that will be good structure to get me started and keep me going. I don't mind the solo part of running, mostly I hated that it hurt or that I couldn't breathe after a few minutes. My asthma went to def con level 10 for a few weeks out of nowhere, i think now that it's all of a sudden better, I must have had some kind of respiratory virus going on. But yeah, the asthma deal can stop me before I start sometimes.

Thanks for all the info and ideas, much appreciated!

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
As a fatty it was to lose 150 lbs - check
As a skinnier dude it was to put on as much lean muscle as possible over a 6 month span - check
Now as a somewhat lean muscley dude I want to put on as much muscle as possible by upping my workouts, the weight I push, and doubling my protein intake. lol
My main goal is 10% bf but that will take another year at least

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
As a fatty it was to lose 150 lbs - check
As a skinnier dude it was to put on as much lean muscle as possible over a 6 month span - check
Now as a somewhat lean muscley dude I want to put on as much muscle as possible by upping my workouts, the weight I push, and doubling my protein intake. lol
My main goal is 10% bf but that will take another year at least
Double your protein? Jesus, have fun with that

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Double your protein? Jesus, have fun with that
I'm really crazy when I set a goal for myself. When I decided to not be fat anymore I ate chicken breasts with no salt, raw veg, and drank only water, for over a year. I have changed my body so dramatically in two years that now I want to push it further and see how far I can take it. Half of the protein will come from suppliments, the other half from lean meat, and veg.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
I generally try to hit the gym and workout like my hero. MY goal is to get as much lift as him

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
setting long term goals for your fitness workout is not the way to go.

workout because it makes you feel good. today. plus it allows you to eat with no guilt. that's it.