Is Baseball dying?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hey Guys, as a brit, I'm oblivious to the ratings of america's national games...except the NFL...I fucking love american football... (Go Niners)....but my dad over christmas called Baseball 'Americas Game'.....is this true? I'm assuming it used to be true?

Any MLB fans in here? if so....is the sport really dying or being marginalised as per this article?

Quote from article:

'The truth of the matter is that baseball, though destined to remain a touchstone of American history, will continue to be marginalized in a culture of instant gratification. Baseball may never again claim the title of America's favorite sport, but will likely remain just one of the countless entertainment options available on the screens in our living rooms and the phones in our pockets. Though there is enough nostalgia and pageantry at the baseball park to persuade even the casual fan to attend a game here and there, in a culture of more choices and less time, America's game has been left behind'

Do you agree with the above? I'm curious to what the community feels about baseball and it's future.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I dont even like Baseball. I used to love to play it but never to watch it. For me its Ice Hockey, Kickboxing, MMA.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Played it from age 8-18, and never watch a game on TV or live. Boring as hell.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Ironically, (may expose myself as a fool) but the older i get (damn, time flies) the more i like watching it...............in UK now Gilbosh....I have the patience for it but maybe because I'm boring any longer.......

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I went to opening day.
i think overall this article is right.
There is less appreciation for the game, although overall they are the highest paid athletes in the world.
I'll always love the game.
But I'm kinda like Roy Hobbs :)

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Hey Guys, as a brit, I'm oblivious to the ratings of america's national games...except the NFL...I fucking love american football... (Go Niners)....but my dad over christmas called Baseball 'Americas Game'.....is this true? I'm assuming it used to be true?

Any MLB fans in here? if so....is the sport really dying or being marginalised as per this article?

Quote from article:

'The truth of the matter is that baseball, though destined to remain a touchstone of American history, will continue to be marginalized in a culture of instant gratification. Baseball may never again claim the title of America's favorite sport, but will likely remain just one of the countless entertainment options available on the screens in our living rooms and the phones in our pockets. Though there is enough nostalgia and pageantry at the baseball park to persuade even the casual fan to attend a game here and there, in a culture of more choices and less time, America's game has been left behind'

Do you agree with the above? I'm curious to what the community feels about baseball and it's future.
Yes, baseball is considered "America's pastime". It is easily my favorite sport and probably the most enjoyable live experience. Baseball is not close to dying, its actually thriving. The national ratings have decreased, but baseball has changed it's relationship with tv. It is now becoming more of a regional sport airing on regional sports networks. This isn't stopping teams from signing billion dollar tv deals. In terms of attendance and revenue, baseball has never been healthier.

Every other major sport looks like its doing bad if you compare it to the NFL, but I expect that to change in the future. If you look at the youth participation in sports, theres around 2 million kids in the US that are playing little league baseball. Theres only around 250,000 playing pop warner football. I expect that number to decrease as more and more studies about head and neck injuries come out. I see more elite athletes sticking with baseball. It is safer and every dollar in your contract is guaranteed.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I'm interested in people from the UK and their take on American culture. I don't think OP is far off at all either.

As an American I have never felt baseball was the #1 sport in America. Always seemed it was the NFL first, NBA second.

Watching on tv=BORING. Watching live-pretty boring still but enjoyable.

I am however playing mlb the show on ps3 right now. Baseball as a video game is pretty fun :)

Baseball is the only sport that involves a ball where the defense is the one who holds the ball.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's never going to surpass football as the most popular sport in America again, but baseball definitely isn't dying.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Baseball seems like cricket to me. It will never be everyone's cup of tea, but won't die out, since it is fun to watch live with friends, but slightly boring on TV. As well of the advantages that Priziest mentions, with little to no contact, although a cricket ball or baseball coming at you at 90+mph is fucking insane.

You have something like .33 of a second to react when batting against the fastest bowlers and if it hits you it hurts like a motherfucker. I've batted against a guy who played for us, but has since moved to a higher league, who bowled mid 80s and it was too fast for me. I can't imagine facing someone in the upper 90s.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Ive always found it odd how many regular season games they play and how so few playoff games they play. It doesnt make sense.

They play what 160 something games? Then only 8 teams make it to the playoffs out of 30 teams?

Then they play a best 5 as the wild card then best of 7... or something.

I dunno it seems anti-climactic. I think they should play much less regular season games and more playoff games to make it more exciting like the NHL.

Have 16 teams make the playoffs and make them a best 7 each. Extending the playoffs would make it so much more exciting in my opinion.

Putting the bulk of games in the regular season and a small amount in the playoffs seems like a bad approach and makes it less fun.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Ive always found it odd how many regular season games they play and how so few playoff games they play. It doesnt make sense.

They play what 160 something games? Then only 8 teams make it to the playoffs out of 30 teams?

I dunno it seems anti-climactic. I think they should play much less regular season games and more playoff games to make it more exciting like the NHL.

Have 16 teams make the playoffs and make them a best 7 each. Extending the playoffs would make it so much more exciting in my opinion.

Putting the bulk of games in the regular season and a small amount in the playoffs seems like a bad approach and makes it less fun.
You've then cut the income of 16 teams significantly, whom will be at a larger disadvantage when it comes to players wages next season.

Last edited:

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
You've the cut the income of 16 teams significantly, whom will be at a larger disadvantage when it comes to players wages next season.
what if they left the regular season then, and simply extended the playoffs so its 16 teams and a 7 game series each?

More games more cash and more excitement with longer playoffs.

I personally find that many games super boring to watch in a regular season but if people like it thats up to them i guess.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

It's not really a small amount of games in the playoffs. You have to win 11 games to become champions, but it could take up to 19 games for that team to do it whereas in football some teams only have to play 3 playoff games to be champs.

I personally would hate if they added more teams to the playoffs. I like that they reward the best teams in the regular season. It's still exciting in the playoffs. There's always upsets and underdog stories. It's high variance. The best team in baseball doesn't typically win the world series.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
It's not really a small amount of games in the playoffs. You have to win 11 games to become champions, but it could take up to 19 games for that team to do it whereas in football some teams only have to play 3 playoff games to be champs.

I personally would hate if they added more teams to the playoffs. I like that they reward the best teams in the regular season. It's still exciting in the playoffs. There's always upsets and underdog stories. It's high variance. The best team in baseball doesn't typically win the world series.
football is so much tougher on the body though. I mean they only play 16 games in the regular season compared to the 130+ in baseball. So 3 playoff games is kind of maxing things out.

Only 8 teams make in the baseball playoffs though isnt it? It would be nice if 16 teams made it. Maybe im thinking in terms of NHL too much but i love the NHL playoff format. 16 team playoffs and you have 28 games total. So grueling and makes the playoffs so fun to watch.

Do you watch NHL by any chance? What do you think of their playoff format?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
football is so much tougher on the body though. I mean they only play 16 games in the regular season compared to the 130+ in baseball. So 3 playoff games is kind of maxing things out.

Only 8 teams make in the baseball playoffs though isnt it? It would be nice if 16 teams made it. Maybe im thinking in terms of NHL too much but i love the NHL playoff format. 16 team playoffs and you have 28 games total. So grueling and makes the playoffs so fun to watch.

Do you watch NHL by any chance? What do you think of their playoff format?
Oh I am absolutely with you on football being much tougher on the body. It would be way too much for them to have to play more playoff games.

Yea, 8 teams make it in baseball. The 6 division winners make it. Then the 2 teams with the best records that didnt win their division play each other in a 1 game play in game to get into the playoffs. This happens in the american and national league. I think 16 teams for baseball playoffs is bad for 2 reasons. You play 162 games. That is a hell of a lot of games to play. If after all those games, you let half the teams make the playoffs, it diminishes the significance of all those games. Every one of those 162 games counts and you gotta fight to win your division. I like that. Also, not so much for the position players, but more games in the playoffs is way too demanding on the pitcher's arms. There's a serious issue as it is with pitchers tearing rotator cuffs and needing tommy john surgeries.

I dont really follow NHL. Between baseball and mma, theres just not enough time for me. I have gone to some hockey games though and its fucking awesome live.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Awesome, I've learnt a shitload in this thread, fascinating, though 'world series' title is always amusing to people outside of the states.

As a Brit, I love NFL, though i've only been following it seriously for a few years, especially since I joined a number of fantasy leagues..which is incredically addictive! I get the impression NBA is still very much thriving with players like lebron & durant, though I'm behind on whats really happening in that sport.

One major gripe I have with american sports in general is in stop / start culture of the games...basketball for example...48 minutes actual playtime...2.5 hours running due stopping / starting....and NFL,....actual play time? according to google 11 minutes! in 3 hours.....and from what i've read above...baseball is around 3 hours a game?.....I love the production value of NFL and NBA, the product itself is great....i just thank god for NFL Redzone...which is an absolute beauty of tv programming....I wish they did the same thing for football (soccer)...instant live action / highlights of all football games being played at 3pm on a Saturday would be amazing.

Feb 28, 2015
I LOVE BASEBALL!!! It's my favorite and even though I follow NFL which somewhat helps fill the void left in October, nothing beats March for me. Going to a baseball game is an experience, I love going with friends, I love going by myself, I love going to Spring Training, I love taking the time out to sit and relax and drink beer and have nowhere to be for 3 hours.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I LOVE BASEBALL!!! It's my favorite and even though I follow NFL which somewhat helps fill the void left in October, nothing beats March for me. Going to a baseball game is an experience, I love going with friends, I love going by myself, I love going to Spring Training, I love taking the time out to sit and relax and drink beer and have nowhere to be for 3 hours.
Absolutely. I love this! I cant write for shit, but this writer's take sums it up for me...

"Baseball is the perfect antidote to one of the particular cultural poisons of the age: That we—nearly everyone—are so busy, so time crunched, so stressed, so worn out by the demands and disappointments of life, of the economy, of family issues that there is not a second to spare in the course of a day. We have cell phones, text messaging and email to minimize human contact, apps to deliver dinner, do a kid’s school assignments, grocery shop, get a movie, a song, a book, a car, anything at all. And we’re stressed? Please!

Listen to the voice of baseball. Listen to Vin Scully. Listen to the game itself. It is telling you to chill, relax, reorder your priorities, winter is behind us, put the heavy coat in the closet, go outdoors, wear short sleeves, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy life."

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
No, baseball will never go away

Grew up a massive baseball fan myself. Played my whole life til high school. Was lucky enough to go to the original Yankee stadium and see my favorite team ever as a kid (the dynasty era). Also went to Fenway the same year.

But yeah. Baseball is just as big as ever and probably makes more money now than ever. I read the article but it's just one guy's point of view. Baseball will always be around and always be gigantic in America.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Awesome, I've learnt a shitload in this thread, fascinating, though 'world series' title is always amusing to people outside of the states.

As a Brit, I love NFL, though i've only been following it seriously for a few years, especially since I joined a number of fantasy leagues..which is incredically addictive! I get the impression NBA is still very much thriving with players like lebron & durant, though I'm behind on whats really happening in that sport.

One major gripe I have with american sports in general is in stop / start culture of the games...basketball for example...48 minutes actual playtime...2.5 hours running due stopping / starting....and NFL,....actual play time? according to google 11 minutes! in 3 hours.....and from what i've read above...baseball is around 3 hours a game?.....I love the production value of NFL and NBA, the product itself is great....i just thank god for NFL Redzone...which is an absolute beauty of tv programming....I wish they did the same thing for football (soccer)...instant live action / highlights of all football games being played at 3pm on a Saturday would be amazing.
It's still the world championship though. The best players in the world from all countries play in the MLB. It's the same as the NFL teams being compromised of the best football players in the world.

Just because the league is based in a single country, doesn't mean the championship is not the "world" title. Same with the NBA. They all harbor the best world wide talent in their organization. Simlar to the UFC - a US based organization whose champions and athletes are from across the world... but the org harbors the most high level talent out there.

It's not like soccer where you have multiple teams in multiple countries with top level talent. The MLB is where it's at. The world series is by far and away the world championship of baseball.

That's why the MLB is the highest paying org and attracts the greatest players from Japan, South America and more. I never understood people's gripe with the term "world series", when the MLB is the top league in the world with the top players, and has been proven to be the case for a century +.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
You've then cut the income of 16 teams significantly, whom will be at a larger disadvantage when it comes to players wages next season.
On second thought i think i didn't quite get this point. Why would the 16 playoff teams lose money and be at a disadvantage for next year? Wouldn't they make more money in the playoffs as a team?

Since everyone would play the same amount of regular season games theoretically.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Sorry BTW just re read my post. Didn't mean to come off arrogant at all, could've been written better. Just how I see things

Huge fan of Gilbosh and his posts.

easedel

Jan 18, 2015
Nope. Not dieing at all.
Is the season long? Eh maybe. I could see 120-130 game season. 162 games + playoffs is taking a toll on bodies come late in the season.
I don't like how they do wildcards now.. 1 and done after 162 games? Make it a 3 game series.
Number of teams in the playoffs is fine though. Any more and you will be running into december playoffs. Its bad enough it goes into november now ( thanks tv contracts ) which is an issue too.

They are speeding up the game at least. I didn't think it was too long but it was annoying as fuck seeing a batter step out the box every pitch, adjust 8 things, do a rain dance, then repeat it.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They are speeding up the game at least. I didn't think it was too long but it was annoying as fuck seeing a batter step out the box every pitch, adjust 8 things, do a rain dance, then repeat it.
They don't do that anymore? If not, I may try to watch a game or two this season.