Is Baseball dying?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You have to keep at least 1 foot in the batter's box during your entire at bat.
But can they step the other foot out, take their gloves on & off, fuck with their necklace, do the sign of the cross, adjust their batting helmet, etc?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
But can they step the other foot out, take their gloves on & off, fuck with their necklace, do the sign of the cross, adjust their batting helmet, etc?
The umpire now can give the batter an extra strike added to the count without the pitcher having to make a pitch if they believe the batter is delaying the game.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The umpire now can give the batter an extra strike added to the count without the pitcher having to make a pitch if they believe the batter is delaying the game.
That is interesting. Will also be interesting to see how often it's enforced.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
On second thought i think i didn't quite get this point. Why would the 16 playoff teams lose money and be at a disadvantage for next year? Wouldn't they make more money in the playoffs as a team?

Since everyone would play the same amount of regular season games theoretically.
Well if you are cutting the regular season and increasing the playoffs, then you are reducing the gates that the 16 teams that don't make the playoffs get from the reduced games they play, while increasing the gap between teams that made the playoffs and those that didn't. Since those teams that make the playoffs will be drawing crowds to watch the extended playoff series.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Well if you are cutting the regular season and increasing the playoffs, then you are reducing the gates that the 16 teams that don't make the playoffs get from the reduced games they play, while increasing the gap between teams that made the playoffs and those that didn't. Since those teams that make the playoffs will be drawing crowds to watch the extended playoff series.
Doesnt that exist at the moment though? The top 8 teams in the playoffs get to share in the profits of the playoffs while the others don't. Instead of 8 sharing there would be 16 sharing.

I mean i don't agree with the current pay structure of baseball as it is. I think there should be a salary cap. I mean look at the pay disparity of the teams as it is. Its bonkers.

You have a team in the playoffs making 230 million vs a team making 100 million. it doesnt seem fair at the moment.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Doesnt that exist at the moment though? The top 8 teams in the playoffs get to share in the profits of the playoffs while the others don't. Instead of 8 sharing there would be 16 sharing.

I mean i don't agree with the current pay structure of baseball as it is. I think there should be a salary cap. I mean look at the pay disparity of the teams as it is. Its bonkers.

You have a team in the playoffs making 230 million vs a team making 100 million. it doesnt seem fair at the moment.

Fair point.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
baseball injected itself with poison during the 94-95 Strike year.
since then, they've just been shitting on the integrity of the game with PED scandals, Cheating Team(s) scandals, and the latest Cheating pitchers scandal.

people who watched baseball for the game have been turned off, and the people who tuned in have the attention spans of methed out mice.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Only people who eat hotdogs and dudes who suck peckers like baseball.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I like to think it'll still be played in a hundred years. It's a fun game, and the higher the quality players, the better the baseball.
Korean and Japanese teams are goddamn serious about the game.

It thrilled me when writers for the Star Trek DS9 series made the lead a big baseball fan, a couple of hundred years from now.

It's an obscure game people don't know, but eventually we learn people are starting teams on a few colony planets.

How many of us can throw a baseball and catch one with a glove? Hit a fly ball into the outfield?
How many of us played 500 as kids? Stick ball?

I'll bet all of us except the Euros.

Grand Old Game.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I love baseball, but I don't completely disagree with the OP. Times have changed.

Baseball is a slower, thinking man's game filled with strategy and peppered with instances of excitement.

That isn't going to hold the attention of mouth-breathing, instant gratification-seeking morons.

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I love baseball, but I don't completely disagree with the OP.

It's a slower, thinking man's game with instances of excitement.

That doesn't mesh with today's society, which is full of instant gratification-seeking idiots.
good luck getting 18 people together for anything longer than a flash mob

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
good luck getting 18 people together for anything longer than a flash mob
I was talking about spectating, but yeah. Playing a game is the same issue.

Although we used to play all the time with 12 guys.

3 teams of 4 each..
4 batters, 8 in the field. Pitcher, Catcher, 3 infield. 3 outfield.
Pitcher's mound out so no 1st baseman.

Generally used a tennis ball so we didn't break any windows. Usually played in a cul-de-sac.

Stealing 2nd wasn't allowed. 3rd and suicides were ok.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I was talking about spectating, but yeah. Playing a game is the same issue.

Although we used to play all the time with 12 guys.

3 teams of 4 each..
4 batters, 8 in the field. Pitcher, Catcher, 3 infield. 3 outfield.
Pitcher's mound out so no 1st baseman.

Generally used a tennis ball so we didn't break any windows. Usually played in a cul-de-sac.

Stealing 2nd wasn't allowed. 3rd and suicides were ok.
my dad played minor league ball, my brother and I played 1:1 baseball.

but that's what I was getting at, nothing commands the attention of 10 people for more than an hour these days.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
my dad played minor league ball, my brother and I played 1:1 baseball.

but that's what I was getting at, nothing commands the attention of 10 people for more than an hour these days.
Sad, isn't it?
Bet I could strike you out in 3 pitches.