Is Baseball dying?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
i could stare that pitch into a single.
I used to throw low 80s.
I was going to say mid-70s for today, but I haven't had a gun on me in a long time.
So I went mid-60s.

But I still got a cannon, yo.
And my curve breaks 8"

3 pitches.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I reckon if butterbean turned pro tomorrow he could make the hall of fame.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Hardly. It made him relatable.
There were WAAAAY tackier things. I could go on and on
I disagree, Jake was more relatable than his dad.
And I really liked that show, but Avery Brooks played it like a theater piece most of the time imo.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I disagree, Jake was more relatable than his dad.
And I really liked that show, but Avery Brooks played it like a theater piece most of the time imo.
If you'll recall, Jake threw a good inside slider.

Avery Brooks was all about his delivery. Sometimes it was sort of odd, (which I attribute to VO since practically all dialogue in all ST series was looped)(see Robert Picardo and listen to his off camera VO, it's noticeably uneven) but sometimes I loved every! Line! Chopped OFF! Is that clear, commander?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I used to throw low 80s.
I was going to say mid-70s for today, but I haven't had a gun on me in a long time.
So I went mid-60s.

But I still got a cannon, yo.
And my curve breaks 8"

3 pitches.

i made the Mississippi River Valley All-Star team in my last year of LL.

so....

look out. ?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Now, I'm not trying to be a dick it's a serious question:
What about baseball requires much brain?
Impossible to explain it all.

By no means am I saying the players are all smart. Some are dumb as shit and are there strictly because they have the unique skill of hitting a 98 mph fastball thrown from 60'6" away.

But the battles between pitcher/catcher and hitter are fascinating to watch. Every at bat is a game of cat and mouse.

And managerial decisions from defensive positioning or when to execute substitutions or hit-&-runs. Double switches. Each game has 5 or 6 butterfly effect decisions that can change who wins and who loses.

If you watched a game with me you'd understand. Or you'd just yell "Shut the fuck up" at me like my wife does.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
If you'll recall, Jake threw a good inside slider.

Avery Brooks was all about his delivery. Sometimes it was sort of odd, (which I attribute to VO since practically all dialogue in all ST series was looped)(see Robert Picardo and listen to his off camera VO, it's noticeably uneven) but sometimes I loved every! Line! Chopped OFF! Is that clear, commander?
Haha, well for one the first time I saw it dubbed in German and later I did watch it in English as well. German dubber did a good job cause I didn't remember being as annoyed with Ben as I was then.

But apart from that DS9 for me was about Odo and Quark, O'Brien and Bashir, Worf and Dax, heck even Ducat and Garak, plus the all around setting.
Sisko was the glue holding it together, but not the main interest for me. Everything that was just about him was kinda lame, the Bajoran stuff wasn't interesting and Kira was irritating.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
pitch strategy, defensive positioning.
So, defensive positioning is from a static situation right? How complex can it be? I suppose it encompasses trying your luck here and there.

Give me an example about pitching strategy (in non-baseball terms if possible) please.

But the battles between pitcher/catcher and hitter are fascinating to watch. Every at bat is a game of cat and mouse.
I can see sense in that.

when to execute substitutions or hit-&-runs. Double switches
What are those?

If you watched a game with me you'd understand. Or you'd just yell "Shut the fuck up" at me like my wife does.
Most likely your wife and I would let you watch the game in peace

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Give me an example about pitching strategy (in non-baseball terms if possible) please.
Man on 2nd. 0 out. Tie game in the 8th.
Batters job is to get the guy on 2nd over to 3rd so any deep fly to the outfield scores him even if it's caught. The batter will want to "hit behind the runner"- so to the 1st base side of the diamond - this generally creates too long of a throw to try to get the runner out at 3rd. Knowing this, if the batter is right handed - the pitcher will try to bust him inside to make hitting the other way very difficult. Or - again, since the pitcher knows that is likely the hitters goal - he will throw a slider that starts on the outside and feeds right into the hitter's strategy but it breaks off the plate and out of the hittable zone, creating a swing and miss.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Man on 2nd. 0 out. Tie game in the 8th.
Batters job is to get the guy on 2nd over to 3rd so any deep fly to the outfield scores him even if it's caught. The batter will want to "hit behind the runner"- so to the 1st base side of the diamond - this generally creates too long of a throw to try to get the runner out at 3rd. Knowing this, if the batter is right handed - the pitcher will try to bust him inside to make hitting the other way very difficult. Or - again, since the pitcher knows that is likely the hitters goal - he will throw a slider that starts on the outside and feeds right into the hitter's strategy but it breaks off the plate and out of the hittable zone, creating a swing and miss.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
What are those?
Hit & Run is a set play where both the runner and batter get a signal from the 3rd base coach. Runners breaks on the pitch, and the hitter's job is to put the ball in play so he is swinging no matter where the pitch is located (generally speaking). There are multiple goals here. A steal attempt means that someone will try to cover 2nd base to take the throw from the catcher. That creates an extra hole in the infield for a hit ball to get through. Also, if the ball is well struck, it gives the runner a significant advantage if it's obvious the ball won't be caught on a fly.

A double switch is when you sub in 2 players at once, you are able to put either new player in either player's spot in the batting order. This is generally done when you are pulling a pitcher and the pitcher is due up fairly soon in the order. You then also sub out a position player that isn't due up for long time, then switch them in the order so the pitcher's spot is now due up later and your position player is due up soon. (Pitcher's generally suck at hitting - they are in the bigs because they can pitch. It's rare to have someone who is good enough at both skills - which is why Shohei Ohtani is so impressive).

Example - Pitcher is struggling and you need to pull him. You sub out your right fielder - who bats 8th as the lineup currently sits - for a new pitcher. And you pull the struggling pitcher - who bats 2nd as the lineup currently sits - and sub in a right fielder. Their batting order is set, then you switch their positions in the field so the position player heads to right field and the pitcher pitches.

You can generally spot a double switch before it happens because the manager has to visit the umpire to explain what he's doing. He'll usually do this before he even visits the mound to pull the pitcher from the game.

This tactic is a NL thing since pitchers don't hit in the AL so double switches are rarely necessary. With the designated hitter likely coming to both leagues, this practice will become a rarity which removes a ton of strategy from the game. Sucks for guys like me - but back to the original post on this thread - MLB is trying to stay relevant to today's viewer, and most fans don't care about these intricacies - they just want to see dudes who can hit dingers.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Hit & Run is a set play where both the runner and batter get a signal from the 3rd base coach. Runners breaks on the pitch, and the hitter's job is to put the ball in play so he is swinging no matter where the pitch is located (generally speaking). There are multiple goals here. A steal attempt means that someone will try to cover 2nd base to take the throw from the catcher. That creates an extra hole in the infield for a hit ball to get through. Also, if the ball is well struck, it gives the runner a significant advantage if it's obvious the ball won't be caught on a fly.

A double switch is when you sub in 2 players at once, you are able to put either new player in either player's spot in the batting order. This is generally done when you are pulling a pitcher and the pitcher is due up fairly soon in the order. You then also sub out a position player that isn't due up for long time, then switch them in the order so the pitcher's spot is now due up later and your position player is due up soon. (Pitcher's generally suck at hitting - they are in the bigs because they can pitch. It's rare to have someone who is good enough at both skills - which is why Shohei Ohtani is so impressive).

Example - Pitcher is struggling and you need to pull him. You sub out your right fielder - who bats 8th as the lineup currently sits - for a new pitcher. And you pull the struggling pitcher - who bats 2nd as the lineup currently sits - and sub in a right fielder. Their batting order is set, then you switch their positions in the field so the position player heads to right field and the pitcher pitches.

You can generally spot a double switch before it happens because the manager has to visit the umpire to explain what he's doing. He'll usually do this before he even visits the mound to pull the pitcher from the game.

This tactic is a NL thing since pitchers don't hit in the AL so double switches are rarely necessary. With the designated hitter likely coming to both leagues, this practice will become a rarity which removes a ton of strategy from the game. Sucks for guys like me - but back to the original post on this thread - MLB is trying to stay relevant to today's viewer, and most fans don't care about these intricacies - they just want to see dudes who can hit dingers.
Seems to be more to it than I thought, can you substitute at will like in the NBA or are there rules to it?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Seems to be more to it than I thought, can you substitute at will like in the NBA or are there rules to it?
Once a player is subbed out of a game he can not return.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Haha, well for one the first time I saw it dubbed in German and later I did watch it in English as well. German dubber did a good job cause I didn't remember being as annoyed with Ben as I was then.

But apart from that DS9 for me was about Odo and Quark, O'Brien and Bashir, Worf and Dax, heck even Ducat and Garak, plus the all around setting.
Sisko was the glue holding it together, but not the main interest for me. Everything that was just about him was kinda lame, the Bajoran stuff wasn't interesting and Kira was irritating.
I've decided not to watch again until they've restored the film, it looks awful.

How about that character arc for Dukat and Sisko, eh? Becoming demi-Gods?
That was the biggest disappointment of the show for me. Guess I didn't see the obvious, where the highly religious themes were going. Religion begets nonsense.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
So, defensive positioning is from a static situation right? How complex can it be? I suppose it encompasses trying your luck here and there.

the easiest example is platooning, where the manager substitutes a right-handed pitcher to face a right-handed batter (or vice versa) because the pitcher will have an advantage. His breaking pitches ("slider", "curveball") will break away from the batter, which is not only harder to hit it's less likely to go very far. The ball is "hidden" from the batter longer in the pitcher's delivery, so it's harder for hitters to see the rotation on the ball and the release point to trigger the swing/no-swing response, which makes the fastball harder to hit

there used to be guys called LOOGY (Lefty One Out GuY) who would come in late in the game and pitch for one out. But baseball is trying to speed up the game, and changing pitchers involves warm-up time, so they made a rule recently that you have to face at least 3 batters if you enter the game.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
But baseball is trying to speed up the game, and changing pitchers involves warm-up time, so they made a rule recently that you have to face at least 3 batters if you enter the game
I actually like the rule change.

It's added a lot of opportunity to the offense where they can pinch hit to a righty/lefty lefty/righty advantage.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I actually like the rule change.

It's added a lot of opportunity to the offense where they can pinch hit to a righty/lefty lefty/righty advantage.
Jesse Orosco says Fuck Your Mother.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I've decided not to watch again until they've restored the film, it looks awful.

How about that character arc for Dukat and Sisko, eh? Becoming demi-Gods?
That was the biggest disappointment of the show for me. Guess I didn't see the obvious, where the highly religious themes were going. Religion begets nonsense.
Yeah that was trash, was prolly the closest towards "it might be" when it comes to actual superstition in ST. Meanwhile Q would wipe his ass with the prophets.