Is Brian Ortega the most likable fighter in the UFC?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
The Almeida dude who knows out sterling wss very likevable as well. And there's always that smiley brazilan dude. 135 pounder I think (lost his unbeaten astreak to Cody iirc)

Hope the role models of the future continue doing well :)

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
He should marry Jennifer Lawrence.
They'd have the most beautiful, humble, and down-to-earth kids EVER.

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
He's definitely up there Wild @Wild.

It was his toughest test to date, and he passed with flying colors. Amazing performance. I now believe!

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
I was rooting for Cub. But seeing how he handled him self in this fight really opened my eyes to how humble and good this is.

He definitely represents what a fighter should be. And i want see more of the guy.

Hope he makes it to the title picture.
Would be a Tough match up and a Hell of a Fight.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
UFC lightweight Brian Ortega tested positive for the anabolic steroid drostanolone following his win against Mike de la Torre at UFC on Fox 12 in San Jose, Calif., on July 26 2014.

The California State Athletic Commission revealed the results of Ortega’s test to Sherdog.com on Friday. As a result, Ortega has been suspended for nine months and fined $2,500. Additionally, Ortega's win over de la Torre will be changed to a no contest. He may file an appeal with CSAC within 30 days.

In preparation for my UFC debut, I used a banned substance called drostanalone. It was an irresponsible decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, the UFC and everyone else who was affected by my selfish actions,” Ortega wrote. “It should be known that my coaches were totally unaware of my decisions, and I am ashamed that I let down the people who believed in me more than I believed in myself.”

Ortega landed a takedown within the first minute of his encounter with de la Torre. From there, he immediately transitioned to his opponent’s back, secured his hooks and sunk in the fight-ending rear-naked choke with de la Torre in the standing position. The end came 1:39 into the opening frame.

The fighter known as “T-City” was unbeaten in his first eight professional bouts prior to his Octagon debut.

“Going forward, I’d rather lose a fair fight to any opponent, than defeat myself the way I have done,” Ortega wrote.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I'm still on the fence.

On one hand I love jiu jitsu strong fighters especially ones who win fights with it on a high level.

On the other hand, I really don't like cheats and if he did it one time, who is to say he wouldn't try a 2nd time with hopes of hiding it better?

I do admit his personality seems magnetic, but Royce, a man I obviously admire a lot(see profile pic), used roids and it hurt his legacy. Brian Ortega trains under Gracies, I wouldn't put it past him if they all knew but he's trying to take all the blame.

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
I'm still on the fence.

On one hand I love jiu jitsu strong fighters especially ones who win fights with it on a high level.

On the other hand, I really don't like cheats and if he did it one time, who is to say he wouldn't try a 2nd time with hopes of hiding it better?

I do admit his personality seems magnetic, but Royce, a man I obviously admire a lot(see profile pic), used roids and it hurt his legacy. Brian Ortega trains under Gracies, I wouldn't put it past him if they all knew but he's trying to take all the blame.
Yikes.

I'm in a bit of disbelief you actually posted this considering you admire a steroid user. Royce's levels were off the charts.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I'm still on the fence.

So few guys take responsibility after testing positive that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I’m a big fan after learning about his background and hearing about how charitable he is with kids.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
UFC lightweight Brian Ortega tested positive for the anabolic steroid drostanolone following his win against Mike de la Torre at UFC on Fox 12 in San Jose, Calif., on July 26 2014.

The California State Athletic Commission revealed the results of Ortega’s test to Sherdog.com on Friday. As a result, Ortega has been suspended for nine months and fined $2,500. Additionally, Ortega's win over de la Torre will be changed to a no contest. He may file an appeal with CSAC within 30 days.

In preparation for my UFC debut, I used a banned substance called drostanalone. It was an irresponsible decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, the UFC and everyone else who was affected by my selfish actions,” Ortega wrote. “It should be known that my coaches were totally unaware of my decisions, and I am ashamed that I let down the people who believed in me more than I believed in myself.”

Ortega landed a takedown within the first minute of his encounter with de la Torre. From there, he immediately transitioned to his opponent’s back, secured his hooks and sunk in the fight-ending rear-naked choke with de la Torre in the standing position. The end came 1:39 into the opening frame.

The fighter known as “T-City” was unbeaten in his first eight professional bouts prior to his Octagon debut.

“Going forward, I’d rather lose a fair fight to any opponent, than defeat myself the way I have done,” Ortega wrote.
It sucks about the roids, but at least no excuses. That sounds like somebody capable of change. Big fan since he came along, the fact he pissed hot was a dissapointment, but no nonsense since.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
And Machida
I don't think that should even count. 7 Keto DHEA is a supplement for weight loss. He admitted it not realizing it was illegal (it had changed over the last year). A fine and a 3 month suspension would've been sufficient in my opinion.

Situations where you severely punish a guy who's telling the whole truth but makes an honest mistake sends the wrong message.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I don't think that should even count. 7 Keto DHEA is a supplement for weight loss. He admitted it not realizing it was illegal (it had changed over the last year). A fine and a 3 month suspension would've been sufficient in my opinion.

Situations where you severely punish a guy who's telling the whole truth but makes an honest mistake sends the wrong message.
Fuck the USADA scam, fuck them. After watching Icarus, fuck the USADA , WADA, the Olympics, and while we're at it, fuck Reebok.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Yikes.

I'm in a bit of disbelief you actually posted this considering you admire a steroid user. Royce's levels were off the charts.
What makes you in disbelief? Did you read my post? I clearly stated it damaged Royce's legacy.

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
What makes you in disbelief? Did you read my post? I clearly stated it damaged Royce's legacy.
I definitely understood it.

Just thought it was odd that you were still on the fence with a fighter that's tested positive before. Then I looked at your profile pic, and it kinda blew my mind lol.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Brian and I have been acquainted for ~ 5 years, we 'know' each other and have several mutual friends. Brian is as genuine as he comes across in his interviews. We rolled a couple times when he was a brown belt, and he was an absolute killer. He's nowhere, until he's locked around your neck. And then he's there all day.

Regarding the PEDs: my understanding, through hearsay and locker room scuttlebutt, is that there was someone at BlackHouse who managed to convince several of the young guys that PEDs were something you had to do to be competitive in the UFC. When you're talking to guys who aren't convinced that they belong in the UFC, it's an easy sell to make.

But to his credit, Brian owned it. I watched him apologize to the kids class at Gracie Academy for letting them down, and he swore he'd never let them down again. Knowing how Brian feels about the kids, I don't expect him to ever get popped again. I hope he stays close to Coach James, he's one of my favorite people in the world, and he knows the business.