General Is Canada the Greatest Country in the World?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

Seriously though, lots of reasons. We have a patchwork federation with terrible organization and uniformity, as well as one of the least efficient governments (at all levels) in the western world. We are terrible at accomplishing anything, infrastructure particularly. Our economy is a disaster, we are not a nation of innovators, we have hamstrung our natural resource sector and now real estate is the biggest segment of the economy. Our healthcare system is bloated and inefficient, understaffed and under equipped when compared to other western nations. Our public transportation is second worst, only better than americas. Our rail and road networks are outdated. The majority of our STEM graduates are foreigners who return home. We have an indolent and smug culture, so we refuse to actually fix anything.

I could continue.

T

The Big Guy

Seriously though, lots of reasons. We have a patchwork federation with terrible organization and uniformity, as well as one of the least efficient governments (at all levels) in the western world. We are terrible at accomplishing anything, infrastructure particularly. Our economy is a disaster, we are not a nation of innovators, we have hamstrung our natural resource sector and now real estate is the biggest segment of the economy. Our healthcare system is bloated and inefficient, understaffed and under equipped when compared to other western nations. Our public transportation is second worst, only better than americas. Our rail and road networks are outdated. The majority of our STEM graduates are foreigners who return home. We have an indolent and smug culture, so we refuse to actually fix anything.

I could continue.
Please do

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
He keeps trying the same thing and failing. Kinda like using left wing ideology to get shit done. Keeps failing but we keep trying
Speaking of - I'm sure that trickle-down economics is going to start benefitting the working man any time now, right?

I'm sure that THIS round of tax cuts and handouts to the 1% will result in corporate boards increasing wages and working conditions and reinvesting in the business, and won't be used near-exclusively for stock buybacks to make the already-rich even richer while wages and working conditions continue to stagnate and deteriorate......... right? It's only been in effect since 1980, maybe we should just give it a chance...........

??

M

member 3289

I could continue.
I'll take over from here.

Three-quarters of your exports are to the United States, making you so dependent on US consumers that any small blip to the south could mean devastation for large segments of your economy.

An outdated, underfunded military that would get smoked by any larger western country, not to mention China or Russia. Were it not for your NATO membership and your close proximity to the U.S., you'd probably have been invaded or at least smacked around by now. But as the Trump presidency showed, U.S. protection is not as guaranteed as it once appeared to be.

Twenty percent of your population is French-speaking. The other 80% talk with goofy Canuck accents.

Zero initiative taken in government on an international level because of weak leadership and an aforementioned complacency/inability to get shit done.

A non-existent technology sector. You rely on, yet again, the United States to hold your hand and lead you through the door when it comes to this.

Hockey is your national sport and poutine is your national dish. Cuisine is so fucked that people take pride in ketchup-flavored potato chips.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

Three-quarters of your exports are to the United States, making you so dependent on US consumers that any small blip to the south could mean devastation for large segments of your economy.

An outdated, underfunded military that would get smoked by any larger western country, not to mention China or Russia. Were it not for your NATO membership and your close proximity to the U.S., you'd probably have been invaded or at least smacked around by now. But as the Trump presidency showed, U.S. protection is not as guaranteed as it once appeared to be.

Twenty percent of your population is French-speaking. The other 80% talk with goofy Canuck accents.

Zero initiative taken in government on an international level because of weak leadership and an aforementioned complacency/inability to get shit done.

A non-existent technology sector. You rely on, yet again, the United States to hold your hand and lead you through the door when it comes to this.

Hockey is your national sport and poutine is your national dish. Cuisine is so fucked that people take pride in ketchup-flavored potato chips.

Who's going to invade Canada?

??

M

member 1013

Our tech sector is 5 percent of our gdp which is a substantial chunk for any industry.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I could continue.
unnamed.gif

M

member 1013

Don’t get me wrong, Canada is still a way better place to live than the USA (unless you are super rich).