General Is COVID-19 over?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
That was kind of a weird announcement by the CDC yesterday... They must have really good data on the vaccine being effective. I think I'm used to so much grandstanding under the Trump administration that just seems like a very mellow victory lap.

What do you guys think? Did we win?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That was kind of a weird announcement by the CDC yesterday... They must have really good data on the vaccine being effective. I think I'm used to so much grandstanding under the Trump administration that just seems like a very mellow victory lap.

As time goes on, more data is collected. I'm sure this is what people were hoping for and expecting, but there seem to be a lot of people complaining about it, which is weird because they complained about being told to wear a mask too.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
When this was mentioned in another thread I took a minute to look at a month ago when the CDC said "slow the fuck down with the unmasking we are almost there" versus now....

Cases up, now cases down.
Screenshot_20210513-175422.png

Vaccine count has about doubled...
Screenshot_20210513-175246.png
Screenshot_20210513-175256.png

Beyond this. Such a move is likely a move to further emphasize "if you'll get vaccinated, you can get back to life".

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Variants could fuck this all up since vaccine adoption has been very heterogeneous and geographic. There are many areas that are greater than 70% vaccinated and then other areas that are about 10%. It's not vaccine supply and is almost all by political county.

Luckily the highest risk areas in large urban centers tend to lean towards being vaccinated It should blunt the largest risk for future outbreak and death.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
When this was mentioned in another thread I took a minute to look at a month ago when the CDC said "slow the fuck down with the unmasking we are almost there" versus now....

Cases up, now cases down.
View attachment 36048

Vaccine count has about doubled...
View attachment 36050
View attachment 36049

Beyond this. Such a move is likely a move to further emphasize "if you'll get vaccinated, you can get back to life".
That's exactly what I'm worried about- people on the fence, or anti-vaxers, will just not get it or wear their mask now. They just see this as the government ending it's tyranny of reporting masks.

There was no mandate for vaccine IDs or passports. The CDCs announcement seems like a declaration of victory.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

For America the covid language shifted substantially in November and has been trending in a wind down pattern since.

M

member 3289

There are many areas that are greater than 70% vaccinated and then other areas that are about 10%.
Broward County population is ~2 million. The zip codes shown below have comparable numbers of residents:

Screenshot_20210514-095331_Sun Sentinel.jpg

Screenshot_20210514-095056_Sun Sentinel.jpg

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

you think the people who've been lying to you for the last year for political reasons suddenly decided to base their positions on data?

seems more likely that this a politically expedient.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
you think the people who've been lying to you for the last year for political reasons suddenly decided to base their positions on data?

Show us your data sir.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Show us your data sir.
not what I'm saying at all. Just that my first response is to go look at data and see if the announcement is born out by science.

in this case, it's very fuzzy due to the risk of variants. Normally I say that risk of variants is low, but this virus has shown an incredible ability to mutate in ways that increase infectivity. Virus tend to slowly evolve the ability to infect humans, but this one came out of the gate as the most infectious version we've ever seen. And since then it's been mutating left and right. I don't think it's reasonable to say that the risk of variants is low enough and the vaccination rate is high enough to forego masks.

I think that the CDC is saying this because they think it will increase vaccinations, which it might marginally accomplish, but it's not a good exchange considering the number of people who will take this announcement as "It's over, let's share glasses and lick door knobs".

tldr; I agree with Splinty @Splinty and the graph, but I think the vaccination rate should be much higher for the current transmission rate before dropping indoor or large group mask requirements.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
^ oh - I never mean "government mandated" when I say "mask requirements"

private property, personal choices.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
not what I'm saying at all. Just that my first response is to go look at data and see if the announcement is born out by science.

in this case, it's very fuzzy due to the risk of variants. Normally I say that risk of variants is low, but this virus has shown an incredible ability to mutate in ways that increase infectivity. Virus tend to slowly evolve the ability to infect humans, but this one came out of the gate as the most infectious version we've ever seen. And since then it's been mutating left and right. I don't think it's reasonable to say that the risk of variants is low enough and the vaccination rate is high enough to forego masks.

I think that the CDC is saying this because they think it will increase vaccinations, which it might marginally accomplish, but it's not a good exchange considering the number of people who will take this announcement as "It's over, let's share glasses and lick door knobs".

tldr; I agree with Splinty @Splinty and the graph, but I think the vaccination rate should be much higher for the current transmission rate before dropping indoor or large group mask requirements.
It seems vaccinations have leveled off and now we have a bunch of retards who aren't willing to do it. So is everyone else supposed to wait on them?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
You can still get COVID even if you are young, otherwise healthy, have had COVID before, and have been vaccinated.

That said, let's get rid of these stupid f'n masks and distancing rules.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A-Somebody told biden wearing a mask all day on camera is making the country and him look softer than baby shit.

B-Time to get back to work for some of the Govt Teet suckers, quit giving folks a reason to not work or contribute to the Machine.

C-It has become clear that they aren't going to enforce authoritarian control over approximately 60% of the country, best to not piss them off any further for political reasons.

D-None of the above

E-All of the above

sxurc3aedyu61.jpgrsed2oue8oi61.jpgkvyqgt9s4md61.jpg

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
A-Somebody told biden wearing a mask all day on camera is making the country and him look softer than baby shit.

B-Time to get back to work for some of the Govt Teet suckers, quit giving folks a reason to not work or contribute to the Machine.

C-It has become clear that they aren't going to enforce authoritarian control over approximately 60% of the country, best to not piss them off any further for political reasons.

D-None of the above

E-All of the above

View attachment 36059View attachment 36061View attachment 36060
D. the only number they care about is % vax. They think people are either entrenched in anti-vax, and this gives their social circle an 'out'.

"i only got the vaccine after I knew it was safe, and I'm done with masks".

the unintended consequence is the even larger percentage who are "HAHA I showed you. I didn't get vaxed AND I'm not wearing a mask. No one controls me!!!!"

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
D. the only number they care about is % vax. They think people are either entrenched in anti-vax, and this gives their social circle an 'out'.
Yes, it is a "sales" tactic, kind of a last ditch effort IMO...The Yearlong campaign is coming to an end as most that wanted it have gotten it.

I'm not anti vaxx personally but I don't blindly support all vaccines, the entire topic has been highly politicized and that turns a lot of people off. I support any person making an informed decision as far as injections go.

Judging by what I saw yesterday around town businesses and patrons are ready to pull down the masks regardless of vaccination rate, there was a noticeable shift in mask usage for both.

M

member 3289

they aren't going to enforce authoritarian control over approximately 60% of the country
Lol @ 60%.

47% of the country has received at least one dose. We are still vaccinating 1-2 million people every day, a number that will continue to hold now that kids 12 and up can get vaccinated.

You unvaccinated lepers will be 20% MAX by the time everything is said and done.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Over here Johnson has said the June final lockdown may have to be cancelled because of the Indian variant.

Its a sad state of affairs.

If they do this England will go mental.

We won't adhere. That's a fact.

We've taken their shit long enough.