Is Damian Maia The Greatest Fighter in History...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Is He The Greatest Non-Champ Ever?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Since it's post-fight & I'm riding high off this win through advesity, my totally unbiased uninfluenced opinion is that not only is he the best non-title winner, but he's the greatest fighter of all time, probably the best skier too.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
*and bmf'r*

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He's up there but there are plenty of contenders. I had Sak no. 1 in a thread I made but mainly that was a nod to his status.

Yoel Romero is the best fighter not to have held a belt and I don't think it's even close. Guy is a beast who was already out of his prime when he started MMA.

Keung

Banned
Jun 28, 2017
When the tapes surface and you see the fraud you will look pretty silly

You know that was practically cheating right .. RIGHT

you only see what the sheep see . Here sheep sheep here sheep .

Lol neigh neighhhhhh sheep boy

I have backstage footage and know the truth. Want the source .. oh that easy ITS ME KNUMBNUTS . I was backstage. I filmed the sequence. Blatant cheating it was .

But sure for now let's listen to you dribble facts

"I be loving them potato salad .. her her .. let me get a hand full of them peas ... Hack hack ... Down the hatch the with chicken gravy blah blah ". -YOU

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I have backstage footage and know the truth. Want the source .. oh that easy ITS ME KNUMBNUTS . I was backstage. I filmed the sequence. Blatant cheating it was .

"I be loving them potato salad .. her her .. let me get a hand full of them peas ... Hack hack ... Down the hatch the with chicken gravy blah blah ". -YOU

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He's up there but there are plenty of contenders. I had Sak no. 1 in a thread I made but mainly that was a nod to his status.

Yoel Romero is the best fighter not to have held a belt and I don't think it's even close. Guy is a beast who was already out of his prime when he started MMA.
Saku won the UFC Japan tourney. So he is a champ.

And I know everyone likes to ride Yoel's dick real hard, but his biggest wins are a split decision over Jacare, a KO over Weidman, a ko over Rockhold who had been KO'd by Bisping before and a ko over Lyoto who should have NEVER been in the cage 2 months after his terrible beating/KO from Luke.

His record is not impressive.

Everyone is just impressed with his physique, awkward style and KO power mostly....

Not to mention he is obviously on steroids...

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Saku won the UFC Japan tourney. So he is a champ.

And I know everyone likes to ride Yoel's dick real hard, but his biggest wins are a split decision over Jacare, a KO over Weidman, a ko over Rockhold who had been KO'd by Bisping before and a ko over Lyoto who should have NEVER been in the cage 2 months after his terrible beating/KO from Luke.

His record is not impressive.

Everyone is just impressed with his physique, awkward style and KO power mostly....

Not to mention he is obviously on steroids...
Nobody counts the one-night 4-man UFC tourneys as being a 'champion', especially when your claim to being a 'champion' is losing and then getting a rematch vs Marcus Silveira.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Nobody counts the one-night 4-man UFC tourneys as being a 'champion', especially when your claim to being a 'champion' is losing and then getting a rematch vs Marcus Silveira.
He is a UFC tournament champ. You can have your opinion on how meaningful that is but he still won the tournament.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Demian is my favorite of all time for sure. What's amazing is he's basically doing an updated version of what Royce did in UFC 1-4 and making it look almost as easy. Even most of his losses he's made tough guys look mortal. Only the Marquardt fight was a total disaster, but it was a flash KO that could happen to anyone. Just look at the list:

Usman
Covington
Woodley
McDonald
Shields
Weidman
Muñoz
Silva
Marquardt

All of these guys have been top contenders or champions, and other than Marquardt, all of them went to decisions and couldn't put away a guy who barely throws strikes. Plus he has 28 wins against some tough fighters at middleweight and welterweight. Realistically, I'd say he's had the best win loss record of anyone who's competed at length in 2 weight classes besides Cerrone maybe.

Also impressive to me is that he completely reinvented his grappling style for MMA after years of competitive success in BJJ. This victory over Askren is making people invalidate Askren when in reality they should be amazed with just how good Maia is, even at 41. Everything we heard rumors about Rickson being, Demian is in real life. Great guy, great competitor, and really the only remaining archetype of what BJJ should be in MMA. Hoping he's in the Hall of Fame the minute he retires.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
They did when it was pinnacle of the sport.

p.s. I apologize for the unnecessary first post in which you're also quoted.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015

I assume you think that is funny? It's not.