Is missing weight an advantage or a detriment on fight night?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Since the UFC introduced its early weigh-in procedures in June 2016, the promotion has held 72 events. During that time, they have held 42 matches in which one fighter missed weight, with the bout only going forward after the opponent agreed to participate in a catchweight encounter. (Nine additional matches were canceled completely due to weight-cutting issues.)

The results are interesting.

In those 42 bouts, the fighter who missed weight emerged victorious the majority of the time, with a record of 23 wins and 19 losses (54.8% win percentage).

But that alone does not offer meaningful information. The data can be broken down further to reveal another trend, and that is this: Fighters who missed weight but were already favored to win by oddsmakers were much more likely to emerge victorious than those who missed weight but were underdogs.

In fact, Romero was one of only a handful of underdogs who missed weight to leave with a win. Underdogs missing weight went just 7-14 (33.3%) in their 21 tries. By contrast, betting favorites who missed weight went 16-5 (76.2%) during that time.

In an attempt to see if those results were a statistical anomaly, we went back further, examining the 72 events held before the start of the early weigh-in procedures. Perhaps the most interesting revelation from that data is that missing weight was far less common over the same span of events. In those 72 events, only 23 catch weight fights occurred due to fighters missing weight. That means incidences of catch weight fights due to botched cuts increased 82.6 percent since the June 2016 arrival of early weigh-ins.

From a performance standpoint, the numbers held up as they relate to underdogs. Fourteen underdogs missed weight and went only 5-9 in the ensuing fights. By contrast, only seven favorites missed weight, but they went 3-4.

Breaking it down further, we looked at fighters who have had small misses (two pounds or less), mid-size misses (2.5-3.5 pounds), and major misses (four pounds or more). The major takeaway here is that being much bigger than your opponent does not always work in your favor. Those who missed weight by four or more pounds combined for a record of only 8-10. During that span, fighters who missed weight by six pounds or more went 0-4. That’s a stat that has been remarkably stable through UFC history; according to best available research, during the modern era, every fighter to miss weight by seven or more pounds has lost their fight. The rare occurrence has only happened five times, most recently when Charles Oliveira lost to Ricardo Lamas in Nov. 2016 after missing weight by nine pounds.

While it might be logical to assume that a far bigger (and assumedly more hydrated) competitor would have a distinct advantage, it seems likely that the physical effects of a badly botched weight cut combined with the lingering mental effects of the failure to hit the contracted mark — not to mention the lost chunk of pay due to penalty — may play a role in this consistent result.

So what can we glean from this information?

First off, all things considered, an extra pound or two doesn’t seem to make much difference in winning or losing. If your opponent misses weight, there is almost no statistical advantage, as in 63 fights with competitors that missed weight, the offending party went just 31-32.

Second, underdogs are slightly more likely to miss weight. Thirty-five out of 63 fighters to miss weight were underdogs (55.6 percent).

And finally, if you are an underdog who misses weight, it might be worth considering skipping the fight altogether, because your chances of victory are not strong. Underdogs who failed to hit their number went 12-23 over those 144 events (a poor 34.3 winning percentage).

Is missing weight an advantage or a detriment on fight night?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You'd have to look at the individual case I guess!

Missing weight could be a sign of a nagging injury or an otherwise bad training camp, and could tell that the fighter is not in great condition, in which case it would be a disadvantage.

Or it could be a sign of someone who has just put on extra mass and simply can't physically get their body down to the weight anymore, or someone who just doesn't have the discipline to complete a tough weight cut, meaning they're going into the fight with a big weight advantage, which would obviously be a plus.

In the case of Till, I imagine option B is more likely, and he'll be at an advantage vs Wonderboy.

M

member 3289

I have long advocated for exciting fighters to be given their own weight class and belt if they have trouble making weight.

For example:

• Jon Lineker: create a 130-lb weight class and just give him the fucking belt. No need to make him fight for it. Then do away with the division when Lineker retires.
  • Johny Hendricks: get fukt m8

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I have long advocated for exciting fighters to be given their own weight class and belt if they have trouble making weight.

For example:

• Jon Lineker: create a 130-lb weight class and just give him the fucking belt. No need to make him fight for it. Then do away with the division when Lineker retires.
  • Johny Hendricks: get fukt m8
I feel like half this post is missing, and here's why,

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
There is no general rule here that applies, it really depends on each case. Sometimes its a big benefit, like Dern vs Cooper might have been. Other times it hurts you, like it could hurt Darren Till because now he has to make sure he stay at 188 or lower for his in cage weight.

So really is a case by case basis, has to do with the dynamics of each fighter missing, compared to how their opponent sets up the parameters.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I’d like to see a mandatory 1 year suspension from the weight class missed. Get out of the division and fight up a class until you figure it out.

The penalties have to be greater so some of these fighters don’t make an attempt at making weight and then be fine with giving up part of the purse if they miss.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I’d like to see a mandatory 1 year suspension from the weight class missed. Get out of the division and fight up a class until you figure it out.

The penalties have to be greater so some of these fighters don’t make an attempt at making weight and then be fine with giving up part of the purse if they miss.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

If you come to the initial weigh in 6 lbs over, you just said “fuck it, ha ha ha, I don’t give a fuck about professionalism, my opponent or my career.....I want to eat and I’ll only lose a portion of my purse.....fuck feeling shitty, give me that fucking pepperoni pizza m80”

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
No, he’s right you’re not like us fighters who have to make weight
It's not a criticism but I honestly don't think a lot of fans who have never cut weight understand what it means. They think it just means you are really hungry for a few days.

It's fucking torture and it's a horrible experience.

It completely fucks with your ability to train- You barely have enough energy to stay awake. You feel weak as a baby, and your timing/co-ordination is off.
It completely fucks with your head- It's hard to think clearly, you are in a fucking horrible mood, and are tough to be around. Rather than mentally preparing for a fight, all you can think about is making weight and chugging some water. The fight becomes an afterthought.

If one fighter subjects himself to this and the other fighter decides to say fuck it, it's a huge and unfair advantage for the fighter who doesn't crank, even if it seems like he's only 1 or 2 pounds heavier than the other guy. It's why you see fighters get so angry at their opponents when they miss weight. It's not because they are worried about a couple of pounds, it's because they know they stress they put on their bodies and minds to make the weight, and the disadvantage they are at.

I honestly think that when a lot of fighters retire it's not because they don't want to compete again, it's that they don't want to subject themselves to another weight cut. It is the worst part of competition.

Last edited:

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

The only problem with that is if you make the consequences too severe, it encourages fighters to go through with very dangerous weight cuts when they're going wrong.

For all we know, Till may have had a serious medical issue if he continued to force his body down to the 171 limit. People have died from weight cutting as we know.

If the punishment is one year suspension, instead of quitting the cut like he did, maybe he forces himself to continue on and disaster strikes.

Although I agree something needs to be done to these guys.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
The only problem with that is if you make the consequences too severe, it encourages fighters to go through with very dangerous weight cuts when they're going wrong.

For all we know, Till may have had a serious medical issue if he continued to force his body down to the 171 limit. People have died from weight cutting as we know.

If the punishment is one year suspension, instead of quitting the cut like he did, maybe he forces himself to continue on and disaster strikes.

Although I agree something needs to be done to these guys.
Yeah that's a good point. If you raise the stakes too much fighters would be even more willing to put their health at risk, it just seems like we need a way to stop some of these fighters from taking the commitment to making weight so lightly.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
It’s not the guys who are up there on the scales all sucked out and missing weight by 1/4 pound that bother me so much. You know they have suffered as much as their opponent. It’s the guys who you can tell gave up on their cut a day ago and show up to the weigh in rehydrated.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I'm all for forcing people up a weight class.

Darren Till should 100% be forced up to 185 IMO. He openly bragged about his huge weight cuts, he bragged that what he's doing should be illegal because he's cutting so much weight.

In the case of Mackenzie Dern, she has that Hendricks' food problem. But with Till, it's obvious he's a MW fighting WWs.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
Detriment if you kill yourself trying to make it.

Advantage if you say “fuck it I’m close enough” and maintain current weight