Is Roger now unquestionably the GOAT?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
With his submission the other day of Marcus Buchecha Almeida, the only other guy to match his mundials records, does Roger walk away from BJJ as the undisputed GOAT?

When you combine his IBJJF and ADCC careers including how often he finished and this latter day dominant finish of a new schooler, I think Roger is probably the best proof that BJJ may be handy for the little guy, but in the hands of a giant, it's unbeatable.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Not to be dismissive, but Roger was always unquestionably the GOAT.
Agreed. I think Buchecha's performance against him in their last match and his matching his record left some room for doubt, but Roger came in and showed he's the man for all time.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Agreed. I think Buchecha's performance against him in their last match and his matching his record left some room for doubt, but Roger came in and showed he's the man for all time.
Roger did legitimately have a staph infection in the lead up to that match. Having said that I don't seem to remember Buchecha's run being as dominant as Roger's was. Either way, Saturday answers a lot questions for those who had doubt.

M

member 603

Unquestionably.... To come back and win like he did this past weekend against arguably the best HW, after the length of time away from the game that he had, coupled with his resume.... GOAT

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Yes he is the GOAT. His black belt I train under said he would win with a choke from behind weeks ago.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yes. M2 athlete comes back after a long lay off and beats the current Adult world champion by submission.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
BTW - I'm not throwing dirt on Roger. He's the greatest of his generation, the BJJ Athlete generation

Rickson was the greatest of his generation, the BJJ Fighter generation

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
BTW - I'm not throwing dirt on Roger. He's the greatest of his generation, the BJJ Athlete generation

Rickson was the greatest of his generation, the BJJ Fighter generation
I'm the biggest Rickson mark you're likely to find, but Roger and many other Gracies as well as other BJJers accomplishments dwarf Rickson's. In MMA, Demian Maia is the fulfillment of what Rickson's myth represented, except against international competition under careful record keeping. Rickson and many members of his generation won against semi skilled brawlers with regional reputations and a few single style fighters in formal and informal competitions. Roger has taken a variation of that style and dominated the landscape with still more to come in MMA.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I'm the biggest Rickson mark you're likely to find, but Roger and many other Gracies as well ad othet BJJers accomplishments dwarf Rickson's. In MMA, Demian Maia is the fulfillment of what Rickson's myth represented, except against international competition under careful record keeping. Rickson and many members of his generation won against semi skilled brawlers with regional reputations and a few single style fighters in formal and informal competitions. Roger has taken a variation of that style and dominated the landscape with still more to come in MMA.
It's also worth noting that the Roger who walked around at 240lbs would unquestionably have been a better MMA fighter with fewer rules. It's no secret that BJJ flourishes with no time limit and few rules. People also seem quick to forget that King Mo's KO of Roger was immediately preceded by a headbutt.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm the biggest Rickson mark you're likely to find, but Roger and many other Gracies as well as other BJJers accomplishments dwarf Rickson's. In MMA, Demian Maia is the fulfillment of what Rickson's myth represented, except against international competition under careful record keeping. Rickson and many members of his generation won against semi skilled brawlers with regional reputations and a few single style fighters in formal and informal competitions. Roger has taken a variation of that style and dominated the landscape with still more to come in MMA.
I'm not disagreeing, but there are some meaningful differences between the sport (international competition) of modern MMA, and the any time, any place, any rules BJJ that Rickson dominated. Both Rickson and Roger have the skills to succeed in either generation, but the generations require a different respective mentality.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
i thought the same thing -
"roger only lost because of an illegal technique."
"roger would do better if the rules allowed more of those techniques."
Firstly no one said "he only lost because". Secondly, when people are aware they might be the recipient of a headbutt they're more likely to be ready to avoid it and vice versa.