Is there a move that you've never caught?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

There are moves I've been taught over these years (and have gone on to teach) that I've actually never caught in a actual sparring match.... Example... I've never hit a Fireman's carry takedown in a actual match... And I've never caught any flying anythings.... What about you guys?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Ditto the flying anything.
I also have never actually hit a berimbolo or any move that requires inverting.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Hmm, in rolling? Not that I can think of. I think I've managed to catch everything on at least newbies LOL. But some stuff is definitely low percentage for me.

M

member 603

I had a 3rd degree purple belt the other day tell me that he's never actually caught a cross choke..... He competes regularly, trains a ton in gi, has fought MMA.... Just never actually caught a cross choke..... I was baffled

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I had a 3rd degree purple belt the other day tell me that he's never actually caught a cross choke..... He competes regularly, trains a ton in gi, has fought MMA.... Just never actually caught a cross choke..... I was baffled
that's crazy-talk. Even I've hit cross chokes on higher belts.
and I suck.

M

member 603

that's crazy-talk. Even I've hit cross chokes on higher belts.
and I suck.
I am surprised when I'm at tournaments how a lot of guys grapple in gi like they do no gi..... And I get it to a point (don't make your game grip based), but if you have the tools there at your disposal, use it

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
ive never caught a single move :(

i trained one day. snowboarded a couple days later, and broke my shoulder. i let it heal itself and i still can only do a couple pushups, but thats partially bc im on the computer all day. im actually heading to the gym today for the first time since i broke my shoulder, so time to really start strengthening it and get fit again

THEN back to MBMMA for JJ training and local NAGA white belt domination! lol

M

member 603

ive never caught a single move :(

i trained one day. snowboarded a couple days later, and broke my shoulder. i let it heal itself and i still can only do a couple pushups, but thats partially bc im on the computer all day. im actually heading to the gym today for the first time since i broke my shoulder, so time to really start strengthening it and get fit again

THEN back to MBMMA for JJ training and local NAGA white belt domination! lol
Damn.... Well best of everything, all of us here will offer whatever insight, advice, inspiration along your path

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Damn.... Well best of everything, all of us here will offer whatever insight, advice, inspiration along your path
no doubt. time just flies. but i will be very active at the gym once i start that and here as well for your advice =)

tbh, i love when u post because it reminds me. i CANNOT wait to compete. but im going to put in a bit of work beforehand. i need to start that ASAP. just jammed right now trying to get my youtube channel views up high enough to support my bills. 14ish hour days 6 days a week. ugh. way out of shape because of it.

but long-term, if it works, my life is gonna be awesome. and one of the primary reasons im trying this was to have the flexibility of my own schedule around eating, exercising, and resting. layer in JJ and this lifestyle would be even more conducive to that since the gym i want to go to in Sparta is too far from NYC to reach in time if i went back to the old concrete jungle grind

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think it's just difference in training philosophy...maybe?
I used to think that there was no way my 40+ ass was inverting, even as a transition. But I went to a seminar with Geo Martinez, and he took the time to help me slowly work through the positioning, and viola'! I was doing some weird inverted truck entry.

Maybe the purple belt is missing a technical detail or two, and has just never taken the time to work it out. "it doesn't work against good guys" isn't something you can say about the cross choke.

M

member 603

I think it's just difference in training philosophy...maybe?
I used to think that there was no way my 40+ ass was inverting, even as a transition. But I went to a seminar with Geo Martinez, and he took the time to help me slowly work through the positioning, and viola'! I was doing some weird inverted truck entry.

Maybe the purple belt is missing a technical detail or two, and has just never taken the time to work it out. "it doesn't work against good guys" isn't something you can say about the cross choke.
I agree, I LOVE the cross choke, you can catch it in so many positions, I talked him through a few I like..... I just can't rationalize NEVER catching one

M

member 603

no doubt. time just flies. but i will be very active at the gym once i start that and here as well for your advice =)

tbh, i love when u post because it reminds me. i CANNOT wait to compete. but im going to put in a bit of work beforehand. i need to start that ASAP. just jammed right now trying to get my youtube channel views up high enough to support my bills. 14ish hour days 6 days a week. ugh. way out of shape because of it.

but long-term, if it works, my life is gonna be awesome. and one of the primary reasons im trying this was to have the flexibility of my own schedule around eating, exercising, and resting. layer in JJ and this lifestyle would be even more conducive to that since the gym i want to go to in Sparta is too far from NYC to reach in time if i went back to the old concrete jungle grind
Thanks, yeah I love this art... BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling.... There's nothing like the grind of training and learning.... I just had an awesome training session and learned some new setups and I'm loving it.... 18 years and I'm still learning.

Thanks for the compliment, I try to keep it fun, informative, and only about 70% ball breaking (just like my classes) LOL

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Cross choke definitely works against good guys. There are countless examples of Roger and the Ribeiros tapping guys with it in competition.

I've never finished an arm-in guillotine. I'm sure there's some detail I'm missing and will ask my buddy who trains at Renzos the next time I see him.

My kids' wrestling coach sets up the firemans with a high crotch. It's extremely high percentage that way.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Thanks, yeah I love this art... BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling.... There's nothing like the grind of training and learning.... I just had an awesome training session and learned some new setups and I'm loving it.... 18 years and I'm still learning.

Thanks for the compliment, I try to keep it fun, informative, and only about 70% ball breaking (just like my classes) LOL
JUDO is a new love, at least as a fan. the olympics were awesome

so u train Judo techniques also? thats awesome

M

member 603

Cross choke definitely works against good guys. There are countless examples of Roger and the Ribeiros tapping guys with it in competition.

I've never finished an arm-in guillotine. I'm sure there's some detail I'm missing and will ask my buddy who trains at Renzos the next time I see him.

My kids' wrestling coach sets up the firemans with a high crotch. It's extremely high percentage that way.
Nice, I use that Maia combo high crotch into a single leg setup.... I'll play with hitting the fireman from there.... Thanks for the tip

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Wrestlers typically post on the near side arm to set up the high crotch so the other guy can't use it to defend. Then they let go of the arm and finish with a double or something else. The other guy usually anticipates this and, if you've gotten in deep past his hands, starts to sprawl.

In the fireman's variation, you hang onto the arm (even easier if they're wearing a gi), turn sideways underneath them when they sprawl, and then fairly effortlessly flip them over the top. You can even finish with a forward roll, since you've take away all of their posts on that side, but that leaves you in kind of a crucifix position that is fine in a wrestling competition but less than ideal in BJJ.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Yeah man I can't fucking ever lock in a triangle choke ever! It's my short big legs lol. I really really like that move also because I have quick legs and strong hips but can't wrap them.
I train with a rugby player who has tree trunks for thighs who has the same problem, but on the rare occasion he manages to lock a triangle up on someone they are tapping with a quickness

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Short legs here too. I have to be almost completely perpendicular to lock a triangle.