Lifestyle Is there a sobriety thread here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
This may seem like a weird post to make, but I'm going to make it.

I was a drunk for about 25 years. (Daily drinker since I was 18). I have been sober for 4 years and I feel great. This thread isn't for people who are heavy drinkers who can put down the bottle when they need to. (My wife is a heavy drinker and most of my buddies are still heavy drinkers). I'm not against drinking, and I don't care if people who want to drink, drink. The point of this is not to convince people to stop drinking.
This is for drunks like me. It took me far too long to get straight and put down the bottle, and I think the biggest thing holding me back was that I didn't really know anyone who didn't drink. I grew up in a family of hard drinkers, from the time I was 14 I hung out with drinkers. Drinking was all I knew and the only way I'd ever really socialized. I didn't know what a sober life looked like. I was afraid to admit to myself that I wanted to stop (in case I found out that I couldn't) and I was afraid of how my personality would change. Would I enjoy the things I used to? Would I still be fun to hang out with or would I be some weirdo at the party angrily sipping water? It seems silly but I felt like I would lose part of myself.
I won't get into my whole boring story here, but if the bottle is kicking the shit out of anyone here and they are thinking of trying to give it up, feel free to PM me privately or ask me a question here on this thread. I don't really have any answers, I can just relate.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I get drunk every night, have been for about 10 years. I can't imagine not drinking.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I get drunk every night, have been for about 10 years. I can't imagine not drinking.
I was the same. Believe me. I never in a million years thought that booze wouldn’t be a part of my life. I drank every day for over 20 years. I probably missed a day or two somewhere in there, but I know there were never 2 days in a row that I didn’t drink.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Addiction is a bitch. Runs in my family too. I guess I'm lucky the only thing I ever got hooked to is considered relatively safe. Time to quit soon though, and it's not gonna be easy.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Addiction is a bitch. Runs in my family too. I guess I'm lucky the only thing I ever got hooked to is considered relatively safe. Time to quit soon though, and it's not gonna be easy.
Yeah Man, it is. I have a very good friend who got hooked on heroine and he was so fucked up that he was embarrassed but told me “man, I don’t want to do this shit but it’s apparently a bitch and a little stronger than me bro....”.....took his ass to rehab and he finally beat it....was snorting the shit just to maintain up to that point.....

Yeah Man, it is. I have a very good friend who got hooked on heroine and he was so fucked up that he was embarrassed but told me “man, I don’t want to do this shit but it’s apparently a bitch and a little stronger than me bro....”.....took his ass to rehab and he finally beat it....was snorting the shit just to maintain up to that point.....

Next week's thread.

My wife left me...I only have 2 bottles of Chardonnay left...What do?

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Cousin of mine got hooked on opiates. Found out he was snorting Opana at my sister's wedding. Got his ass down to my house earlier this year and cleaned him up. He was supposed to move in with me permanently but ended up heading back home to PA. Hope he stayed clean, but I have my doubts. That stuff is insanely powerful.

Cousin of mine got hooked on opiates. Found out he was snorting Opana at my sister's wedding. Got his ass down to my house earlier this year and cleaned him up. He was supposed to move in with me permanently but ended up heading back home to PA. Hope he stayed clean, but I have my doubts. That stuff is insanely powerful.
Best of luck matey

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I always want to give it up. Just everyone around me assosciates me with drinking, me and the missus. My social life is completely built on it.

In reality, I could never have a drink again and be very happy. I drink one or two nights a week always at the weekend. I go sober all January every year for a laugh and regularly prove myself non dependant with weekends off despite being out with drinkers.

But some days I am out and wasted, I cant remember why it was a good night or what anyone said to me or me to them. I wake up losing a day of my life and look at myself in the mirror and say, ah well, at least I'm the same.