General Is this football play honorable?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Jan 21, 2015
I would watch football more if it was all about wacky plays and psychological warfare

they should do this crap more.

M

member 3289

Team on defense must be Canadian to be caught slipping like that

Jan 21, 2015
So is it honorable? Or a dick move?

Is the team to be admired, or shamed?

shoulda made a poll

M

member 3289

So is it honorable? Or a dick move?

Is the team to be admired, or shamed?

shoulda made a poll
If he said hike then it's completely legal. The referees didn't blow their whistle or he would have stopped.

Nothing dishonorable about it imo.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
you don't have to say 'Hike' (or anything for that matter) before the ball is snapped. The only rule is that the ball has to move backward, and all offensive players have to be 'set' in a legal formation.

It's bad coaching, on both sides.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I can't stop laughing at that little guy running after him.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
you don't have to say 'Hike' (or anything for that matter) before the ball is snapped. The only rule is that the ball has to move backward, and all offensive players have to be 'set' in a legal formation.

It's bad coaching, on both sides.
why is it bad coaching for the offense?

I see genius

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
why is it bad coaching for the offense?
just my opinion.

it's taking advantage of the fact the kids don't know the rules. If this worked in college, I'd say it's the most brilliant trick play ever executed, and the other team's defensive coordinator and head coach should be fired.

It's like bunting in T-Ball or something. You're not teaching kids the game, or sportsmanship, or any of the real lessons kids should be learning about team sports at that age.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
just my opinion.

it's taking advantage of the fact the kids don't know the rules. If this worked in college, I'd say it's the most brilliant trick play ever executed, and the other team's defensive coordinator and head coach should be fired.

It's like bunting in T-Ball or something. You're not teaching kids the game, or sportsmanship, or any of the real lessons kids should be learning about team sports at that age.
Ah
purity of the game

I had a former NFL Coach coaching my 6th grade thru 12th grade teams...we didn't need any tricks(lost 2 games that entire stretch)...but he did teach us a ton of trick plays that were never used...maybe he didn't use them for the reasons you listed

I get it

I do think after that play was successful both teams will be paying a lot more attention to rules of the game...so there is that positive

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It might not be sporting, but personal responsibility is a valuable lesson at any age.
agree. But that's a lesson the coach is learning in this situation, not the players (particularly).
This could be the State Championship, and a close game. In which case, not so bad. Or a team that's getting creamed and is one TD away from a Mercy Rule loss...awesome.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
agree. But that's a lesson the coach is learning in this situation, not the players (particularly).
This could be the State Championship, and a close game. In which case, not so bad. Or a team that's getting creamed and is one TD away from a Mercy Rule loss...awesome.
Kids: Wahhh, this is awful!
Coach: Well kids I didn't prepare you guys well enough, and that's why we just blew the game. Let this be a valuable lesson to you.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Kids: Wahhh, this is awful!
Coach: Well kids I didn't prepare you guys well enough, and that's why we just blew the game. Let this be a valuable lesson to you.
what's the lesson to the kids? Get a different coach?