Society Is Trump Going to Make it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
For me I'm looking at the reality of a Republican congress doing the impeaching. If they are forced to do it, he's likely a goner because I don't believe he'll step down.

It seems pretty unlikely, but his disregard for certain norms raises the risk of breaking laws he's not even aware of and then having political pressure force Congress to act if popular sentiment in conservative quarters turns against him.
I'm not trying to be rude, but that doesn't answer my question. Clinton was impeached, and it didn't affect him finishing his term. People seem to think that being impeached means you have to resign your position. As far as I'm aware, that isn't the case.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Trump came out of the gate fast and furious but all-in-all, we haven't actually seen that much movement yet (for reasons attributed to both sides of the political spectrum).

COMPLETED:
  • Abandon TPP
  • Ban foreign aid to agencies who give abortion counselling
Incomplete:
  • Nominate a supreme court judge - Trump has announced a nominee. Still awaiting a hearing and Senate approval.
  • Instill a travel ban on "terror prone" countries - An executive order was rushed out but has failed to meet the legal requirements and is currently suspended.
  • Appoint a cabinet - Half way completed.
  • Repeal and replace OBAMAcare - Executive order has been signed... waiting on a plan, house approval, senate approval and it to be enacted into law.
  • Build a wall - Executive order has been signed.... waiting on a plan, house approval, senate approval , the wall to be built and waiting for a plan to make Mexico pay for it.
Untouched:
  • Impose import taxes -
  • Cut taxes -
  • Invest in American infrastructure -
I actually said this to a buddy of mine today. For the amount of shit he catches from the media, he really hasn't done anything. I think he's probably a deplorable person, but the reactions we're currently seeing from people don't fit his actions.

CutmanMatt

MMA Hematologist
Jan 31, 2016
I'm not trying to be rude, but that doesn't answer my question. Clinton was impeached, and it didn't affect him finishing his term. People seem to think that being impeached means you have to resign your position. As far as I'm aware, that isn't the case.
Impeachment is just the process of being brought up on charges. You're still innocent until proven guilty so no, being impeached (brought up on charges) does not mean you have to vacate the position.

I believe the confusion here is that people in these scenarios are assuming Trump would be found guilty of whatever is they would impeach him for, which WOULD make it legally necessary to vacate the position.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Impeachment is just the process of being brought up on charges. You're still innocent until proven guilty so no, being impeached (brought up on charges) does not mean you have to vacate the position.

I believe the confusion here is that people in these scenarios are assuming Trump would be found guilty of whatever is they would impeach him for, which WOULD make it legally necessary to vacate the position.
he was impeached by the house but acquited by the senate (not disagreeing with you tho...is "impeach" a term used for both pre and post decision? that seems strange

CutmanMatt

MMA Hematologist
Jan 31, 2016
he was impeached by the house but acquited by the senate (not disagreeing with you tho...is "impeach" a term used for both pre and post decision? that seems strange
Yes, even if you're acquited you have still been impeached. Nixon resigned to avoid it and Andrew Johnson was impeached and acquited.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Yes I know what being impeached means. What I'm saying is the political reality of being impeached by your own party increases the probability of successful conviction.

To clarify further, it's my belief that the Republican party will not bring charges against this President unless it's 100% a crime that they have no choice but to remove him for. It's like a DA not taking a case unless there's a high probability that there would be a conviction. Clinton's impeachment was largely politically motivated, much like Andrew Johnson's nearly a century before and based on fairly flimsy premises from a legal perspective.

In all of history, no President has been impeached when their party held a majority in the House. But I admit that's kind of misleading because there are so few test cases.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Every morning before I open the news, I self-talk in my head, 'C'mon Trump! Make me Proud.'

sometimes I'm :) and sometimes I'm o_O, it definitely is :D though

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I prefer the 25th to impeachment, we already played that game.
I don't think either are happening in 12 days. It also occurs to me that preventing a U.S. citizen from running for president is extremely undemocratic and probably not a slope you want to start down.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't think either are happening in 12 days. It also occurs to me that preventing a U.S. citizen from running for president is extremely undemocratic and probably not a slope you want to start down.
We don't let felons do lots of things, they are Americans, albeit piece of shit Americans.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm aware, but that isn't what's being discussed here.
We are talking about someone who many deem unfit for office, and going through the process as outlined in the Constitution. I'm not seeing the issue here.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We are talking about someone who many deem unfit for office, and going through the process as outlined in the Constitution. I'm not seeing the issue here.
"unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office."
It's a very far stretch to say that applies in this case. It reminds me of animal rights groups using the ESA as the "Protect My Favourite Animal Act"

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's a very far stretch to say that applies in this case. It reminds me of animal rights groups using the ESA as the "Protect My Favourite Animal Act"
I would say he is now ineffective, meaning he is unable to lead the country.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I would say he is now ineffective, meaning he is unable to lead the country.
"Unable" pertains to fitness. Ie, When Reagan was clearly losing his mind, or like Joe Biden over the last 6 months. It doesn't mean "He's bad at his job." To be honest, this strikes me as the DNC being scurred for 2024.

redneck

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
It was inevitable that Soros would send in Antifa and BLM dressed as Trump supporters, to wreak havoc so that the media and the Democrats could blame Trump for inciting violence.

Trump was never meant to win in 2016, and we have seen what happens when an outsider becomes POTUS. The establishment will stop at nothing to eventually remove them and to tarnish their name. It's supposed to stand as a warning to the next patriot who wants to become President to help his country.