Is winning TUF worth it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Is winning TUF worth it?

• Total voters

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
After reading about Danzig, I start to wonder, is winning TUF worth it?

Sure we've had some stars come out of TUF but they seem to be an exception. I'm looking at most of the top flight guys and they are guys who fought into the UFC and inked their own demands into contracts.

So, is TUF worth it anymore? Was it ever worth it?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
No, the TUF contract is shit. It is what an 8 fight contract that has the potential to earn over $100k? That is worse than UFC newcomers, because it lasts for so long.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Nope. The TUF contract is another way of Zuffa controlling fighters and locking them into long term contracts for shit pay.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
No, the TUF contract is shit. It is what an 8 fight contract that has the potential to earn over $100k? That is worse than UFC newcomers, because it lasts for so long.
Good point, they make it sound like the contract is worth £100 grand a year, but fug, that ain't much to fight for when you break it down.....

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
But you win a Harley too! Because those are super practical, and absolutely everybody is primed to ride one!!

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Anyway, seems like a wonderful way to get exploited. Either way it goes, you lose. If you go on an absolute tear to start your UFC career, well, you're stuck with the contract you "won". And if you go on a losing streak, well...

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
But you do win a Harley! And you're gonna like it! No matter who you are! Ridin' ain't your thing? It is now! Go on, have a Harley!

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
"The struggle is real on the TUF contract." -Brendan Schaub

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Wait it's not 100k a year for the first year?
Nope. It's 100k over the life of the contract. Other than exposure, I don't see the value in TUF. The experience sounds like a nightmare if you ask me.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Nope. It's 100k over the life of the contract. Other than exposure, I don't see the value in TUF. The experience sounds like a nightmare if you ask me.
How long is the contract for?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's either 6 or 8 fights I can't remember which.
Uhhhhh wow. I don't watch TUF and haven't in years but why the fuck would you go on a show so if you win you get f'd in the a.... And smile about it. It's almost like your better off losing the show but still getting signed.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Iirc it's also a a tiered contract so you only get the full amount if you win all of your fights.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
U Fight Cheap

Zuffa's logic = "you're lucky to be fighting here kid. Take what we give you and shut up"

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I guess, before the exposure would help you get sponsors. For example, I doubt Brendan Schaub would have had sponsors for $60k a fight if he hadn't been on TUF, at least not that quickly. Now though, the exposure does nothing for you. Here's your sponsor money, tuf winner, same as the 5-4 guy debuting on the fightpass pre-lims.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It was something special to win in the early days of the show, but it's been running twice a year for so long now that the winners are usually forgotten pretty quick.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It was something special to win in the early days of the show, but it's been running twice a year for so long now that the winners are usually forgotten pretty quick.
This is a good point. Winning TUF doesn't mean much anymore. A lot of those guys from TUF just end up being prelim fighters or they barely crack the top 15. The problem is there is no incentive to go on the show. They aren't getting the best fighters outside of the UFC anymore. In the earlier seasons they would get hundreds and hundreds of guys that tried out. From what I hear, the pool of fighters to choose from is now very small.

My coach tried out for season 5 and he said there were hundreds of guys there and it was really difficult to stand out. He was ranked in the top 20 or 25 at FW at the time and only had one loss to Hermes Franca but he wasn't even given a second look. It's not like that anymore.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Add to that the fact that a lot of seasons have two weight classes so there's two winners and the influx of TUF Brazil, China, etc.

It's just an over saturated market for the winners with very little chance of really standing out.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Add to that the fact that a lot of seasons have two weight classes so there's two winners and the influx of TUF Brazil, China, etc.

It's just an over saturated market for the winners with very little chance of really standing out.
Agree. They just need to shit can the whole program in my opinion.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
The wisest thing I've ever heard in regards to contract negotiations with promotions is to keep it to short deals 2-3 fights. Yea there's pros and cons to this approach, but if you lost on a long term contract you'll get cut just the same as losing on a short term one, but if you win you have a higher value and more negotiation power.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
But you do win a Harley! And you're gonna like it! No matter who you are! Ridin' ain't your thing? It is now! Go on, have a Harley!
Lol thought same thing...lets bitch and cerrone..then Aldo gets hurt on a moped and Dana was pissed...the ultimate fighter hurts more fighters than helps them i think...I know a lot of you prolly didn't like Bubba but he said it was the most brutal on his mind and body..especially making weight that many times in a short time frame..a lot of factors go into that show that aren't no where near the a preparation you do when training at home... plus he's a GREAT MAN and you all would agree if you knew him...Urbina said simiilar thing but he was fighting up a weight class so it wasn't as taxing on him...I do like the team vs team concept..that's a different aspect cuz they are right art home with their staff and partners...Matt Jaggers told me before her fought Dillashaw on the premiere he was locked in a hotel room and skid notes under door for stuff he needed lol..and that they made him sign a 4million dollar hush order not disclose the results upon running home..also supposedly none of his coaches that cornered him knew a thing about Dillashaw..hmmm...

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Lol thought same thing...lets bitch and cerrone..then Aldo gets hurt on a moped and Dana was pissed...the ultimate fighter hurts more fighters than helps them i think...I know a lot of you prolly didn't like Bubba but he said it was the most brutal on his mind and body..especially making weight that many times in a short time frame..a lot of factors go into that show that aren't no where near the a preparation you do when training at home... plus he's a GREAT MAN and you all would agree if you knew him...Urbina said simiilar thing but he was fighting up a weight class so it wasn't as taxing on him...I do like the team vs team concept..that's a different aspect cuz they are right art home with their staff and partners...Matt Jaggers told me before her fought Dillashaw on the premiere he was locked in a hotel room and skid notes under door for stuff he needed lol..and that they made him sign a 4million dollar hush order not disclose the results upon running home..also supposedly none of his coaches that cornered him knew a thing about Dillashaw..hmmm...
Well where's he at Johnny? You promised he would be here months ago :)