It hasn’t been sorted - Ngannou reveals issues with UFC deal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Francis Ngannou during the UFC 260 presser in March.

It’s almost a full year since UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou stepped inside the Octagon. He’d since been involved in a dispute with the company, being one of the most prominent names in the roster with salary grievances, among others.

“The Predator” recently sat down with entrepreneur Joe Pompliano and was asked about his contract situation. While he did reiterate a possible fight with former champion Jon Jones, he says everything is still up in the air.

“Maybe Jon Jones, if we get things sorted out,” he said when asked about his next opponent. “Because this contract situation hasn’t been sorted.”

Ngannou’s grievances stem from money issues and supposed unfair treatment by the organization. And because he feels he has very little to no negotiating power, the 35-year-old is having apprehensions about re-signing. Ngannou can choose to be a free agent by December, once his champion’s clause expires.

“And the contract says you have to fight when they tell you you have to fight. But your contract does obligate them to give you a fight. They can sit you down for two years. You can’t say anything,” he said.

“So unless they want to make you fight, you won’t fight. So that’s something that caught my attention. What is this contract good for? How this contract protect me, on what? Nothing. I have nothing.

“When you sign that contract, you give your ownership to the UFC. But technically, it’s not protecting you from nothing, from anything.

“They can cut you whenever they want, they can give you a fight, yes or no, and they don’t have to answer to anybody,” he added. “They can do whatever they want. So why am I signing a contract? I have no protection in that contract.

“Unless you can guarantee me something in that contract, there’s not a reason to do a contract. Matter of fact, you say I’m an independent contractor. Let me fight, I can fight for you and fight for someone else.

“Why am I having exclusive contract with you with no benefit? I’m supposedly an independent contractor.”

Ngannou last saw action at UFC 270 in January against former teammate Ciryl Gane, whom he defeated via decision. He elected to have knee surgery in May and had since recovered for a planned return before the year ends.

It hasn’t been sorted - UFC champ Francis Ngannou reveals issues with current contract

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If he’s in contract for a guaranteed amount, and years, and the contract is still active, can’t say fuck all imo

unless he’s a big draw, which, frankly, he isn’t

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Then the UFC should have no issue releasing him.
i am sure he will be a big draw vs jake paul or against ryan bader in bellator, maybe he can fight werdum in PFL. francis is overestimating his worth . he has his eyes on a big money fight vs tyson fury that will never even happen.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
He's saying what we have all said. I hope more of them do.
Those contracts are shady. He made enough of a name to point it out.
the whole "independent exclusive" contractor is complete bullshit and an end-run around labor laws by UFC and other companies.

UFC is Don King Incorporated. It's gross, and it's antithetical to fight sports.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How dare he honor the contract he already signed! The nerve!
If you read the article he did honor his contract, he probably will not sign one on the same terms as the last one, like they want him to do.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
the whole "independent exclusive" contractor is complete bullshit and an end-run around labor laws by UFC and other companies.

UFC is Don King Incorporated. It's gross, and it's antithetical to fight sports.
That's true, but also don't sign the contract.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
how very libertarian of you... :)
but that only works as an option when anti-trust laws and collective bargaining laws are enforced
Francis was the one that negotiated the contract. He didn't have to sign there being a champion's clause, and if someone is going to say that he did, then they're also going to have to explain why he wouldn't negotiate a higher payday to be tied with the clause.

That of course is ignoring that he negotiated for his contract to be paid in Bitcoin, and he had no complaints until the market tanked. UFC contracts are absolutely immoral, but that doesn't mean Francis isn't negotiating in bad faith

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Ngannou could have avoided all this by simply taking Dana White up on his offer to snort cocaine together. This is how you get Dana to agree to things, it's like an open secret ffs. Just whip out the contract halfway through and be like "you're so awesome Dana, the best boss ever, could I get your autograph??" and then just don't say anything if he starts drawing hearts and/or penises on the contract, it's still legally valid.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Ngannou could have avoided all this by simply taking Dana White up on his offer to snort cocaine together. This is how you get Dana to agree to things, it's like an open secret ffs. Just whip out the contract halfway through and be like "you're so awesome Dana, the best boss ever, could I get your autograph??" and then just don't say anything if he starts drawing hearts and/or penises on the contract, it's still legally valid.

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/vibes-vibing-vibin-GeimqsH0TLDt4tScGw