James Gunn: Guardians of the Galaxy director fired over offensive tweets

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, it probably has been taken out of context. I don't THINK Joss Whedon or Nathan Fillion would be such close buddies with him if he was an out and out scumbag. IIRC this was just after Slither and he was probably trying to capitalise on that by being edgy.

Fact remains though, Disney can't employ him, when you think Disney, you think "children". It's a damned bloody shame.
Disney hired Victor Salva to direct Powder 2 years after he was released from prison for sexually molesting a 12 year old boy.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Fact remains though, Disney can't employ him, when you think Disney, you think "children". It's a damned bloody shame.
That's a concerning thought too, as we're seeing Disney swallow up so much of the entertainment industry. Now they own FOX too. Soon it will be almost impossible for an entertainer to not be under the Disney umbrella in some way, and will we then expect every to have a Mickey Mouse-clean record? Yeesh lol

I think the vast majority of people hate this PC shit, but everyone is just terrified to speak up.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Disney hired Victor Salva to direct Powder 2 years after he was released from prison for sexually molesting a 12 year old boy.
He's not as big a name as someone connected to the Guardians movies though is he? He could fly under the radar and no one would know. I've never even heard of him. Guardians is MASSIVE.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
That's a concerning thought too, as we're seeing Disney swallow up so much of the entertainment industry. Now they own FOX too. Soon it will be almost impossible for an entertainer to not be under the Disney umbrella in some way, and will we then expect every to have a Mickey Mouse-clean record? Yeesh lol

I think the vast majority of people hate this PC shit, but everyone is just terrified to speak up.
I hate PC bullshit too, but it's a kid's company.
They have eaten everything up though, they own ABC as well.
Is there not such a thing as a monopolies and mergers commission here? It's getting out of hand...thank fuck for HBO, lol.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Holy moly.
I was ready to give a partial defense based on enjoying the movies and assuming it can't be that bad, but after seeing those tweets, nope, nope, nope.
No can defense.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I’m not in the slightest bit abiding what he said before anyone jumps down my throat.

Pretty sure he was just trying to be edgy to further his career. Little did he know that some really fucking dullard comments would be brought up 10 years later when he had the Guardians Disney franchise in the palm of his hand.

If I were to “make it” as some famous person in whichever field, I know my online footprint would be called out, I just hope someone will employ him after this. Just not a kid’s company.

Nov 21, 2015
Those tweets were from 10 years back...... It was wrong for him to make then, and he apologized for it.... One of the reasons why he's been more aware and outspoken of stuff like this.... The fact that he's being fired now for it is iffy to me (he already dealt with the backlash then). If anything, he's a dumbass for not deleting those tweets.
You don't make tweets like that and then just say I was wrong and apologize
and expect it to now be ok.

That shit was fucking disgusting and he needs the living shit beat out of him

Sick twisted mutherfucker. How is that shit any kind of humor?

WTF

I don't have kids but if I did thats the kinda fucker you see on the street and just whoop their ass
on sight just off GP

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
Yep.

THen it makes me wonder.

Why has Brian Singer's career not been derailed. He's done worse.... and got to direct X-Men movies.
Hmm I had no idea. My popular culture knowledge game is pretty lame.

I confess I had no idea who either of these people were until I read this thread.

Only directors I can name off my head are Steven Spielberg and James Cameron

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Hmm I had no idea. My popular culture knowledge game is pretty lame.

I confess I had no idea who either of these people were until I read this thread.

Only directors I can name off my head are Steven Spielberg and James Cameron
Yeah you need to get your geek card up to speed with famous directors.

Bryan Singer is arguably bigger than James Gunn, and here:

M

member 603

Yeah Singer is a piece of shit..... Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing Gunn for the content or giving him a pass, I think that the fact he told the jokes showed something fucked up in him. I think that younger him 10 years ago didn't think that retarded shit out... However my "not willing to drop the hammer on him" comes from my observation that it was 10 years back, he was called on it and has since changed his ways (showing that he had been made aware of his error), and the fact that as fucked up and inexcusable as the VAST amount of jokes he made about it, 10-15 years ago they had movies like the documentary about "The Aristocrats", and other dark fucked up comedy like this shit that was commonplace, that a lot of people overlooked (mostly because it made people money).

I get why Disney parted with him, but I'm not in agreement that because current James Gunn went toe to toe with some idiot Trump supporters, those guys (who say numerous racist fucked up comments online) go back and repost all those 10 year old tweets. If we're going to hold people to task for saying fucked up shit 10 years ago, than how are we as a country not going to put our foot down over comments the douche in the Oval Office said less than 10 days ago?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I don't think there's a problem with the jokes. If you haven't made or laughed at a kid fucking joke in your life, you're a cunt

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I can guarantee that I haven't ever joked about an adult fucking a child.

Have you?
Where's the line, then?

I think you mentioned you like Jimmy Carr... I seen him a few months back and he hit at least 10 rape jokes.

Is joke about rape okay, but not child molestation? I know for a lot rape jokes are not okay, but just saying, a joke about something doesn't = advocating it.

Nothing should be off limits when it comes to comedy imo

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Where's the line, then?

I think you mentioned you like Jimmy Carr... I seen him a few months back and he hit at least 10 rape jokes.

Is joke about rape okay, but not child molestation? I know for a lot rape jokes are not okay, but just saying, a joke about something doesn't = advocating it.

Being on a stage as a comedian or telling a joke about a concept is much different than making a statement such as....

I like it when kids touch my silly parts.

I call snatching a kid getting lucky.

It was so manly that I fucked the little pussy boy next to me.

I went to a NAMBLA meeting and I was finally comfortable with who I am.

If you don't see the difference then we will just have to agree to disagree.
He can make whatever jokes he wants but Disney doesn't have to pay him if they don't want his kind.

(He made the same comment about Roseanne)

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Where's the line, then?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Alright, you bastards, look at it this way: can you think of a pedophile that joked about pedophilia? I don't think so. Child molesters don't joke about it, they're too scared of being caught so they keep it under wraps.

If anything, a child molester would scold someone for making a child molesting joke, so as to make people less likely to think they are child molesters.

So if you don't laugh at or make child molesting jokes, you have a greater chance of being a child molester than someone who makes or laughs at child molesting jokes. Common sense - basic common sense.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Alright, you bastards, look at it this way: can you think of a pedophile that joked about pedophilia? I don't think so. Child molesters don't joke about it, they're too scared of being caught so they keep it under wraps.

If anything, a child molester would scold someone for making a child molesting joke, so as to make people less likely to think they are child molesters.

So if you don't laugh at or make child molesting jokes, you have a greater chance of being a child molester than someone who makes or laughs at child molesting jokes. Common sense - basic common sense.