Personal James Lipton has passed(inside the actor's studio)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
James Lipton, Creator and Host of 'Inside the Actors Studio,' Dies at 93

James Lipton, Creator and Host of 'Inside the Actors Studio,' Dies at 93

Before he hosted the long-running Bravo series, Lipton played the Lone Ranger's nephew on the radio and wrote TV scripts and Broadway lyrics.

James Lipton, the elegant, articulate wordsmith and theater academic whose desire to give his acting students a greater insight into their art led to the popular Bravo series Inside the Actors Studio, has died. He was 93.

Lipton died early Monday at his home in Manhattan from bladder cancer, his wife, Kedakai Mercedes Lipton, told The Hollywood Reporter.

"He lived each day as if it were his last," Kedakai Lipton said in a statement to THR. "His work was his passion, loved what he did and all the people he worked with. He empowered people to do their best, and hopefully his spirit, curiosity and passion will live on."

Conceived by Lipton in 1994, Inside the Actors Studio was created to serve as a thinly disguised master class for the students of the Actors Studio Drama School, a joint venture of the Actors Studio and The New School. With Paul Newman as its initial guest, each one-hour program featured a top performer in an intimate and in-depth one-on-one interview with Lipton.

Nearly 300 subjects, including many Oscar and Emmy winners, shared the secrets of their craft with Lipton and his audience of students before the TV cameras. The show became one of cable's longest-running series.

"James Lipton was a titan of the film and entertainment industry and had a profound influence on so many," Frances Berwick, president of NBCU Lifestyle Networks and home to Bravo, said Monday in a statement. "I had the pleasure of working with Jim for 20 years on Bravo's first original series, his pride and joy Inside the Actors Studio. We all enjoyed and respected his fierce passion, contributions to the craft, comprehensive research and his ability to bring the most intimate interviews ever conducted with A-list actors across generations. Bravo and NBCUniversal send our deepest condolences to Jim's wife, Kedakai, and all of his family."

As Lipton told THR's Scott Feinberg in June 2016: "If you had put a gun to my head and said, 'I will pull the trigger unless you predict that in 23 years, Inside the Actors Studio will be viewed in 94 million homes in America on Bravo and in 125 countries around the world, that it will have received 16 Emmy nominations, making it the fifth-most-nominated series in the history of television, that it will have received an Emmy Award for outstanding informational series and that you will have received the Critics' Choice Award for best reality series host — predict it or die,' I would have said, 'Pull the trigger.'"

Lipton did all of his own research in preparation for each interview. A lover of words, he was known for his intricately crafted questions and precise manner of delivery. His style was so distinctive, it led to a number of parodies, most notably Will Ferrell's dead-on imitation in a series of Saturday Night Live sketches.

"I love it. It's very flattering," Lipton said during a 2012 CNN interview. "I think he's got me cold."

His hosting run ended in 2018 when the program moved from Bravo to Ovation TV.

"I made a vow early on that we would not deal in gossip — only in craft, and Ovation, as a network dedicated to the arts, will continue that tradition with the next seasons of the series," Lipton said then. "I’m excited to see the new hosts engage with the guests and students and continue to entertain viewers in the U.S. and around the world."

Inside the Actors Studio was the culmination of a lengthy career for Lipton that began in radio and included stints as an actor, scriptwriter, choreographer, lyricist, author, producer and academic.

Along the way, he was married twice. His marriage from 1954-59 to actress Nina Foch (a 1955 Oscar nominee for Executive Suite) ended in divorce. In 1970, he wed Mercedes, a model who holds the unique distinction of appearing as Miss Scarlett in the Clue board game.

Louis James Lipton was born on Sept. 19, 1926, in Detroit. His mother, Betty, was a teacher and a librarian, and his father, Lawrence, was a columnist and graphic designer for The Jewish Daily Forward. (The senior Lipton is best known for his 1959 book The Holy Barbarians, a chronicle of the Beat Generation.) His parents divorced when Lipton was 6, and his dad abandoned the family.

To help make ends meet, Lipton began working while in his teens as a copy boy for The Detroit Times and as an actor for the Catholic Theater of Detroit. In 1944, after graduating high school, he landed the role of Dan Reid, the nephew of the Lone Ranger, on WXYZ's radio program about the masked Western hero.

After enlisting in the Air Force during World War II, Lipton headed to New York with aims of becoming a lawyer. In his mind, it was the best way to avoid the instability his father had brought on his family.

"But I thought, 'I'd better take some acting classes if I'm going to earn a living so I can be a lawyer,'" Lipton said in a 2013 interview. "Stella Adler accepted me for her [drama] class. About five years later, I said to myself, 'Stop kidding. You don't want to be a lawyer. This is what you want to do.'"

To perfect his craft, Lipton took additional classes with Harold Clurman and Robert Lewis and studied movie/TV production and directing at New York University and The New School.

In 1951, Lipton began landing parts on such television shows as Pulitzer Prize Playhouse, Armstrong Circle Theatre and CBS Television Workshop. In the same year, he appeared in the original production of Lillian Hellman's The Autumn Garden. It would be his only appearance on a Broadway stage.

Other television roles throughout the 1950s included The Guiding Light, You Are There, Inner Sanctum and The Goldbergs. In 1953, Lipton made his feature debut, starring as a wise guy in the ultra-low budget The Big Break. It also was around this time Lipton stumbled onto one of his more unusual jobs.

After finishing a film in Greece, he traveled to France and decided it wasn't quite time to return home. Lipton connected with a woman who made her living performing sex while others watched.

"One night, I told her I had to go back to the United States. She said, 'Why?' She said, 'You're broke, aren't you?' And I said, 'Well, yes.' She said, 'No problem, you'll be my mec,'" Lipton told Feinberg.

And for the next few months, Lipton worked in Paris as her mec, aka pimp. He went on to explain that after World War II, during tough economic times, the profession was respectable. "We did a roaring business," Lipton said. "It was a great time of my life."

Lipton returned home to resume his acting career but found more success as a writer. While appearing on The Guiding Light, he worked his way up to head writer. Throughout the next two decades, he served as head writer for Another World, The Best of Everything and Return to Peyton Place. He also wrote for The Edge of Night and The United States Steel Hour.

RIP
This caught me off guard.
This was an honorable, classy, gentleman.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/35_qsrUmRP4

@2:30 Bradley Cooper was in the audience asking Sean Penn a question. I remember watching that thinking "this dude will never make it, what a showboat..."

The one thing that stood out with me personally, I think was when Dave Chappelle returned from his pilgrimage to Africa and the world was worried about him.
Iirc, they spoke about paying for sex.
Guest(Dave?) asked James if he ever had.
James said: "no"
- Why not?
James: I guess I feel...like if you don't earn it, you don't deserve it"

Something to that effect.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Acting is not a great talent, if is was, kids would not be winning academy awards but I appreciate Liptons enthusiasm.