James Woods sues Twitter user for $10m after being called 'cocaine addict'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The Oscar-nominated actor has filed a defamation lawsuit against ‘Abe List’, who has targeted him with ‘reckless and malicious’ insults

James Woods is taking legal action against a Twitter user who has sent defamatory tweets to the actor, labelling him a “cocaine addict”.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Once Upon a Time in America star has filed a $10m lawsuit against a user known as “Abe List”. Woods’ actions were triggered specifically by AL’s accusation that he is a “cocaine addict”.

In reply to a tweet Woods sent about media priorities, AL replied “cocaine addict James Woods still sniffing and spouting”. The complaint reads that Woods “is not now, nor has ever been, a cocaine addict, and AL had no reason to believe otherwise.”

This week, Woods went to LA’s superior court to begin proceedings against the defendant, whose profile suggests he or she lives in Los Angeles.

“AL’s reckless and malicious behaviour, through the worldwide reach of the internet, has now jeopardised Woods’ good name and reputation on an international scale,” the complaint reads. “AL, and anyone else using social media to propagate lies and do harm, should take note. They are not impervious to the law.”

AL’s tweets have typically been replies to controversial statements made by Woods on Twitter, including a birther-related tweet about Barack Obama in December 2014. AL responded with: “you are a ridiculous scum clown-boy James, a joke.”

“In the past, AL has referred to Woods with such derogatory terms as ‘prick,’ ‘joke,’ ‘ridiculous,’ ‘scum’ and ‘clown-boy,’” the complaint states. These terms can be seen as non-actionable opinion, but the use of “cocaine addict” is closer to defamation.

Woods’ lawyer believes that the thousands of followers that AL has have been witness to “a campaign of childish name-calling targeting Woods”.

Many of the tweets in question have been deleted, but some are still available online.

Woods, a vocal Republican, has previously claimed that his politics and dislike of Obama has cost him work in the industry. His last major film was 2013’s White House Down, alongside Channing Tatum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Good, I hope he sues the fuck out of him and wins. I hope more people start suing for shit like this. Bring some consequence to the internet.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good, I hope he sues the fuck out of him and wins. I hope more people start suing for shit like this. Bring some consequence to the internet.
Not sure I agree with such a precedent, I think it's been done in the past, but it only takes one drunken post and suddenly your financially ruined because you hurt a poor mans feelings. I'm not sticking up for the troll, i hate them, but there must be a better way..

Imagine the shitstorm Dana could bring to this place if celebrities would sue over the smallest thing.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i generally assume everyone in hollywood is a cocaine addict and/or gay

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Not sure I agree with such a precedent, I think it's been done in the past, but it only takes one drunken post and suddenly your financially ruined because you hurt a poor mans feelings. I'm not sticking up for the troll, i hate them, but there must be a better way..

Imagine the shitstorm Dana could bring to this place if celebrities would sue over the smallest thing.
Sounds like this guy was doing it constantly to him. It was just this was the only one that had an actionable slant to it. Don't worry Gilbosh, you are free to call people arseholes on twitter, as long as you don't call them cocaine addicted arseholes.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Sounds like this guy was doing it constantly to him. It was just this was the only one that had an actionable slant to it. Don't worry Gilbosh, you are free to call people arseholes on twitter, as long as you don't call them cocaine addicted arseholes.
You cocaine addicted asshole.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015

I understand your position, but there needs to be consequence to peoples actions on the internet. The old "it's just the internet" doesnt hold water anymore. The internet is reality, and peoples lives are ruined over it daily. Being drunk and stupid is an excuse and not a good one.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Not sure I agree with such a precedent, I think it's been done in the past, but it only takes one drunken post and suddenly your financially ruined because you hurt a poor mans feelings.
Good. If you get drunk and walk in front of a TV camera and call someone a drug addict, you would and should face consequences.

If you can't drink responsibly, don't drink.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Good. If you get drunk and walk in front of a TV camera and call someone a drug addict, you would and should face consequences.

If you can't drink responsibly, don't drink.
I don't think there are very many people who have responsibly drank 100% of the time. Just like plenty of us have had bullshit come out of our mouths at some point in our lives as well.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I don't think there are very many people who have responsibly drank 100% of the time. Just like plenty of us have had bullshit come out of our mouths at some point in our lives as well.
Right but are we excusing all bad behaviour due to drinking? Alcohol is not an excuse to act like a cunt.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Right but are we excusing all bad behaviour due to drinking? Alcohol is not an excuse to act like a cunt.
I just used it as an example of why such behaviour may happen, what I'm worried about is the precedent it sets when someone who is vocal about someone else on the internet and suddenly is liable for prosecution.

I hate internet trolls as much as the next guy, but it also depends on the context....for instance, if someone on Twitter called me a fucking alcoholic.....Does that mean I can sue him? if so, for what? Did his actions unintentionally give me cancer? Did i go blind? nope...he just hurt my feelings... but it was meaningless words, bullshit words which can be ignored...Unless, it's continuous....then there's a problem...

We really need to step out of the 'well if he said that to my face' etc....this is internet, it's a global, socio-technical superhighway filled with anyone and everyone from all walks of life....the problem of trolls is far more complex especially if the troll themselves aren't able to full understand the consequences of there actions.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I just used it as an example of why such behaviour may happen, what I'm worried about is the precedent it sets when someone who is vocal about someone else on the internet and suddenly is liable for prosecution.

I hate internet trolls as much as the next guy, but it also depends on the context....for instance, if someone on Twitter called me a fucking alcoholic.....Does that mean I can sue him? if so, for what? Did his actions unintentionally give me cancer? Did i go blind? nope...he just hurt my feelings... but it was meaningless words, bullshit words which can be ignored...Unless, it's continuous....then there's a problem...

We really need to step out of the 'well if he said that to my face' etc....this is internet, it's a global, socio-technical superhighway filled with anyone and everyone from all walks of life....the problem of trolls is far more complex especially if the troll themselves aren't able to full understand the consequences of there actions.
Hurting someone's feelings shouldn't be prosecutable but defamation of character can hurt employment and cause other problems.

I do agree that there needs to be some kind of specifics. The case of the feminists who harassed a guy and then had him arrested when he responded is pretty awful.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hurting someone's feelings shouldn't be prosecutable but defamation of character can hurt employment and cause other problems.

I do agree that there needs to be some kind of specifics. The case of the feminists who harassed a guy and then had him arrested when he responded is pretty awful.
I agree, it's the scope that's the problem and especially when talking about this, we can look at this in different angles and disagree yet really we can have the same opinion...You mention the feminists and that's a great case study, especially when trolls latch onto this and stoke the fire even more by pretending to be feminists etc...which then gets reported etc.....it's insane....the problem is, the tabloids like the daily mail or even shitty entertainment media like TMZ will latch onto something, yet they might not understand what there actually reporting...such as 'Feminists uproar against scientist'...when really 60% of the twitter users posing as feminists were trolls...so was there an uproar?...did someone just lose there job because a journalist couldn't be fucked to do real research. It's a crazy world, and an even crazier world wide web.