General Japan death row inmates sue over same-day notification of execution

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Two death row inmates in Japan are suing the government, claiming that the practice of not informing inmates of the time of their execution until only hours beforehand is “inhumane”, local media have reported.

The prisoners aredemanding change and seeking compensation.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
In my opinion it's more of an inconvenience, not oppression.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
You got to feel bad for those convinced murders and give them some money...

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
They should give them digital timers that they have to wear on their heads that count down the exact moment they are going to die. And do it in seconds so they truly feel the inevitable finality of their situation.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Japanese legal system is quite different, from what I understand. If you're arrested, there is a very high chance you are convicted. Like, close to 100% chance. Are the Japanese police simply amazing at their job? Are people being railroaded by an unjust system? I have no idea. In any case, I'm not a fan of the death penalty, which I consider an outdated model.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Japanese legal system is quite different, from what I understand. If you're arrested, there is a very high chance you are convicted. Like, close to 100% chance. Are the Japanese police simply amazing at their job? Are people being railroaded by an unjust system? I have no idea. In any case, I'm not a fan of the death penalty, which I consider an outdated model.
Bashir: The trouble with Cardassian enigma tales is that they all end the same way: all the suspects are always guilty.
Garak: Yes! But the challenge is determining exactly who is guilty of what.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You pinked me for saying gringo, you nazi.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I think saying I'm a fan would be a huge overstatement. But assuming guilt can be proven, and remembering that the penalty is deprivation of life and not retribution, the death penalty is considerably more humane than life in prison.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I think saying I'm a fan would be a huge overstatement. But assuming guilt can be proven, and remembering that the penalty is deprivation of life and not retribution, the death penalty is considerably more humane than life in prison.
Humane treatment shouldn't be a factor in punishment. Punishment in Itself should be used as a deterrent. Be it death or or a horrible life spent in prison. People need to quit worrying so much about hurting criminals feelings.

That being said, the fact that people in America can spend years in jail awaiting trail has always amazed me. Can't get a court date so sit in jail and get gang tattoos to survive. Then get let free when you finally go court. It's madness.

Could you imagine that shit? Sitting in jail for 2 years when you knew you did fuck all and just watching your life go down the toilet?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Humane treatment shouldn't be a factor in punishment. Punishment in Itself should be used as a deterrent. Be it death or or a horrible life spent in prison. People need to quit worrying so much about hurting criminals feelings.
As I said, the punishment is depriving someone of having a life. Trying to be mean just makes you a monster.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
I saw a warden in a documentary get a spiel like that, and he just responded "it's natural to feel that way. But that's an emotional reaction. I don't work for the Department of Emotional Reactions. I work for the Department of Corrections. And you don't get positive corrective outcomes by brutalising people and taking away their humanity."

If punishment was a deterrent, then abused children wouldn't be orders of magnitude more likely to grow up to be abusers themselves.

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
that's a reflection on the inhumanity of our prisons.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
As I said, the punishment is depriving someone of having a life. Trying to be mean just makes you a monster.
our penitentiary system doesn't exist to dole out punishment, it exists (in theory) for the convicted to seek penance.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
our penitentiary system doesn't exist to dole out punishment, it exists (in theory) for the convicted to seek penance.
It's ridiculous, the people (particularly Americans) who claim that their prison system somehow isn't brutal, oppressive and cruel enough.

How many beatings does it generally take until morale improves?

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It's ridiculous, the people (particularly Americans) who claim that their prison system somehow isn't brutal, oppressive and cruel enough.

How many beatings does it generally take until morale improves?

??
people will literally praise the brutality of rape and assault in prison, while at the same time sending people to prison for non-violent offenses. It's insane. If you're not broken when you go in, you will be when you come out.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
I'm yet to hear about the humane prison where people come out better than they went in.
:smile:

Haven't been looking at the subject at all, then.

Not all people are redeemable. But people who weren't taught basic life skills in childhood, and who are taught those skills and treated with dignity and respect for the first time in their lives, will respond better to that than they will to degrading, brutal, dehumanising treatment where they have no opportunity to learn any constructive skills. Feeding them disgusting slop for every meal day in, day out and stripping any personal identity or human dignity from them, is not going to return better adjusted contributing citizens.

??

Rambo John J

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Sounds like a conspiracy