VID Jason Herzog blows a call...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Is Jason Herzog the best referee in MMA

• Yes, obviously

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • I need to learn more about Jason so I can change my vote to Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
NEVER.

Can anybody find a fight where he blew a call? He's literally the only ref I can think of who hasn't screwed a fighter by missing fouls, stopping early, or stopping late.

I think we should all chip in and send him some TMMAC gear as a show of appreciation.

and his jitz is rock solid.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I also agree

Splinty @Splinty should definitely fix my thread title then send Herzog a RIP COMMUNITY CHIT CHAT t shirt

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I believe there was one he let go a little too long recently, but he is my fav ref.
Click Debate: The delicate stoppage balance in MMA

Herzog was the referee for the Awad-Santos fight. And his decision to let Santos take dozens of unanswered blows to the face centers around that "intelligent defense" rule. In Herzog's interpretation, Santos was following instructions when told to move. He was working to better his position and latch onto Awad's leg for a submission.

"I feel like I'm looking at it from an uneducated standpoint on what it takes to finish or to get a sweep from there," said Herzog, who is a brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. "I see Cyborg's hips are elevated, he's pressuring off of one leg and this is how I would elevate an opponent if I have half guard in and I'm trying to pull him over and re-attack a heel hook."

Just because Herzog did not necessarily agree with Santos' choice to eat punches while attempting that submission does not mean the fight should be over, in the referee's estimation. The fact that Santos still had the druthers to make such a decision -- right or wrong -- told Herzog that he was still in the fight.

"You're moving," Herzog said. "You're not moving in a way that I think universally people would agree is a good way for you to move, by stopping this punch with your face. But you have 30-plus fights and this is your fight to have. I can't fight this fight for you. I have to let you fight your fight, even if that goes into this spiral that ultimately becomes your detriment."