Joanna Jedrzejczyk leaving nutrition team after ‘unforgivable’ weight-cut mistakes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Joanna Jedrzejczyk is citing a terrible weight cut for her loss to Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.

The former UFC women's strawweight champion said in a video interview with Przemysław Osiak of Przeglad Sportowy in her native Poland that she had to cut about 16 pounds in 14 hours — and the botch has led her to split with her nutrition team, Perfecting Athletes.

“It was an accident what happened,” Jedrzejczyk said, translated from Polish. “I know that I should have won the match, and I know that I could have won the match. ... The people that I was working with led me to a critical state.

“I told my doctor I need to do whatever to weigh 115. I don't care if I have to be in a tub with whatever temperature. It gets harder and harder as you get older to cut weight.”

Namajunas beat Jedrzejczyk by first-round knockout at UFC 217 last month at New York’s Madison Square Garden to win the UFC women's strawweight belt. Jedrzejczyk, 30, was undefeated going into the bout and held the title since March 2015.

While Jedrzejczyk said she would forgive the Perfecting Athletes team of Paulina Indara and Michelle Ingels “as humans,” she said she cannot work with them anymore. Jedrzejczyk was very close with Indara and Ingels, living with them in Florida when she was training at American Top Team.

“The mistakes that they made were unforgivable,” Jedrzejczyk said. … “I can’t work with those kinds of people.”

Joanna Jedrzejczyk says she’s leaving nutrition team after ‘unforgivable’ weight-cut mistakes before UFC 217

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016

Joanna Jedrzejczyk is citing a terrible weight cut for her loss to Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.

The former UFC women's strawweight champion said in a video interview with Przemysław Osiak of Przeglad Sportowy in her native Poland that she had to cut about 16 pounds in 14 hours — and the botch has led her to split with her nutrition team, Perfecting Athletes.

“It was an accident what happened,” Jedrzejczyk said, translated from Polish. “I know that I should have won the match, and I know that I could have won the match. ... The people that I was working with led me to a critical state.

“I told my doctor I need to do whatever to weigh 115. I don't care if I have to be in a tub with whatever temperature. It gets harder and harder as you get older to cut weight.”

Namajunas beat Jedrzejczyk by first-round knockout at UFC 217 last month at New York’s Madison Square Garden to win the UFC women's strawweight belt. Jedrzejczyk, 30, was undefeated going into the bout and held the title since March 2015.

While Jedrzejczyk said she would forgive the Perfecting Athletes team of Paulina Indara and Michelle Ingels “as humans,” she said she cannot work with them anymore. Jedrzejczyk was very close with Indara and Ingels, living with them in Florida when she was training at American Top Team.

“The mistakes that they made were unforgivable,” Jedrzejczyk said. … “I can’t work with those kinds of people.”

Joanna Jedrzejczyk says she’s leaving nutrition team after ‘unforgivable’ weight-cut mistakes before UFC 217
Go to 125 and stop killing yourself please

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

throwing people under the bus. awesome joanna. cant believe i went from absolutely loving her to feeling uncomfortable everytime she speaks in the matter of 1 fight

nothing major tho, so im still a huge fan of her as a fighter. but its disappointin. i hope she transitions into a better role model for the little ones

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
Never expected Joanna to be the type to blame loses on herself and not give most of the credit to her opponent. A loss really does show the character of a fighter.

If she was to gas early in the fight, I could say yes, and that it was definitely a factor. But considering she got picked apart from start to finish, I'm not buying into the cut being a major factor.

Definitely seems that way.

Mace

Prophet of poon
Oct 29, 2015
Maybe Ms. Lovitz should have written Look Right on one of her water jugs. Weight cut had nothing to do with that loss and it's disappointing to see her seeking a scapegoat. She needs to admit to herself that she lost because she was in the cage with a real motherfucker that is mentally strong and unafraid of her "intimidation" tactics. Then that real motherfucker let loose a beautiful display of technique and adaptation. You can't correct what you refuse to acknowledge or see. Give Rose her deserved respect, she's worked very hard for a long time to get it.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
she needs to ditch her striking coach. She got picked apart by a superior striker with a superior game plan.

CHiLLEN

All hail the Irishman
Feb 8, 2016
Maybe Ms. Lovitz should have written Look Right on one of her water jugs. Weight cut had nothing to do with that loss and it's disappointing to see her seeking a scapegoat. She needs to admit to herself that she lost because she was in the cage with a real motherfucker that is mentally strong and unafraid of her "intimidation" tactics. Then that real motherfucker let loose a beautiful display of technique and adaptation. You can't correct what you refuse to acknowledge or see. Give Rose her deserved respect, she's worked very hard for a long time to get it.
Rumors are that Rose was a mess leading into the fight, she was mentally overwelmed by Joanna's ruthless nature towards her. I noticed she looked extremely nervous as there names were being announced by Bruce. Which makes me unsure about how mentally strong Rose is. Looks can be decieving, I could be completely wrong.

I'll tell you what though, and most importantly, she put all her nerves and doubts aside once that bell rang, she looked extremely confident from then on.

M

member 3289

Not surprised at all these excuses honestly. She wasn't a humble champion, why would she be humble in defeat?

Nov 21, 2015
5 Pimp Points Awarded.

Someone give this man a medal

"blah blah blah"
It was Rose's movement and strategy which won that match.

I'm often reminded of Dan Carlin mentioning civilizations traveling up the stairs in wooden shoes and going down them in silk slippers.
We win when we keep ourselves honest and nose to the grindstone....and here I am on a website on my Sunday morning..hmmm :/

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
throwing people under the bus. awesome joanna. cant believe i went from absolutely loving her to feeling uncomfortable everytime she speaks in the matter of 1 fight

nothing major tho, so I'm still a huge fan of her as a fighter. but its disappointin. i hope she transitions into a better role model for the little ones
Damn, this is so true!

Was a big JJ Fan and before this fight she just gave me the creeps. Perhaps the "Boogie Woman" persona is true, she sure did become a little snot right around the time she introduced us to that character.

Would of had much more respect for her if she had admitted her defeat with honor. Acknowledged she got caught and had of stayed with the statement "Everyone can lose, I will learn from my mistakes and come back stronger". Been said before by many but I can respect that. First dropping the video a couple days ago of a terrible weight cut from 2015 before the Penne fight, now saying this and blaming others, I have an issue with. Blame shifting pisses me off.

Putting the loss on others is crap and NO way does she come back better or stronger. If she can't own up to her own defeat, then she can't learn from it. Wouldn't be surprised if she loses her next fight, can't fix what you can't see and she is blinded right now by her own ego. If this doesn't change it could be her own demise unless she gets off her high horse and changes her attitude very soon.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Damn, this is so true!

Was a big JJ Fan and before this fight she just gave me the creeps. Perhaps the "Boogie Woman" persona is true, she sure did become a little snot right around the time she introduced us to that character.

Would of had much more respect for her if she had admitted her defeat with honor. Acknowledged she got caught and had of stayed with the statement "Everyone can lose, I will learn from my mistakes and come back stronger". Been said before by many but I can respect that. First dropping the video a couple days ago of a terrible weight cut from 2015 before the Penne fight, now saying this and blaming others, I have an issue with. Blame shifting pisses me off.

Putting the loss on others is crap and NO way does she come back better or stronger. If she can't own up to her own defeat, then she can't learn from it. Wouldn't be surprised if she loses her next fight, can't fix what you can't see and she is blinded right now by her own ego. If this doesn't change it could be her own demise unless she gets off her high horse and changes her attitude very soon.
I slightly dsagree in that I feel like she has enough of a skill gap margin to be successful for a bit despite not facing the truth (that she can be beat), getting humbled, and summoning a little extra muster in her prep

And I also feel like she'll still improve simply because she's got a good work ethic, and probably is an endorphin junkie

But I totally agree with ya conceptually. She's not nearly as admirable a person right now as I had previously taken her to be. And she won't improve as much as a fighter or as a person if she truly believes that the fault was outside her control

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Brazilian flu imo.

Hope she gets a rematch at some point.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I don't doubt the weight cut was a big factor. I've lost fights due to bad weight cuts. But you acknowledge that your opponent prepared better than you did and you accept responsibility and accountability.

Also, JJ's disrespectful attitude towards opponents is pretty obnoxious and I'm glad Rose smashed her.

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
I slightly dsagree in that I feel like she has enough of a skill gap margin to be successful for a bit despite not facing the truth (that she can be beat), getting humbled, and summoning a little extra muster in her prep

And I also feel like she'll still improve simply because she's got a good work ethic, and probably is an endorphin junkie

But I totally agree with ya conceptually. She's not nearly as admirable a person right now as I had previously taken her to be. And she won't improve as much as a fighter or as a person if she truly believes that the fault was outside her control

I concur, there is quite a skill gap there to most in the division, so you may be correct. In the past I've seen many a fighter with excellent skills do similar acts or blame and denial. Shortly after their careers fell right off track.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I concur, there is quite a skill gap there to most in the division, so you may be correct. In the past I've seen many a fighter with excellent skills do similar acts or blame and denial. Shortly after their careers fell right off track.
But tO play devils advocate, that skill gap will lessen. And within a coup years, your post word for word will be true if she hasn't accepted the truth of the past (and future slipups) and learned from them

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
How about eating some salads and preparing properly rather than blaming other people J champ. Nobody puts the food in your mouth

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Problem solved...