Joanne Calderwood vs. Cynthia Calvillo announced for UFC Glasgow

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I seriously don't know if Calderwood can pull this out. I think this will be a tough fight for her.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I wonder if this will be at 115 or if they'll go ahead and have it at 125 to introduce the division and because it's on relatively shortish notice?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Calvillo started her pro career August 2016. This will be 6 fights for her in 11 months.

Thug Life.

I got Calvillo via superior grappling and athleticism.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I know Calderwood has had trouble with good ground fighters in the past but this is HUGE step up for Cynthia imo.

Calderwood via murder.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Calvillo looked very confident at today's staredowns. She's cold blooded.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Bad match-up for both, but more so for Calvillo, with the size diff. Calvillo is not big for the division. Calderwood is.

Size diff benefits Calderwood in the style mismatch, both sides. Calderwood's reach is a problem for Calvillo standing. Her size/weight/leverage makes the grappling gap smaller.

It is tough to try and wrestle a taller opponent against the cage who knows how to use that length to make getting the TD harder, how to hip out, how to make getting the hands together tougher.

Fiero and his people are gooood coaches.

They should have given Calvillo a better match-up at this stage, imo, as likeable as she is. You can't manufacture that likeability. She's like an NPD weirdo without the actual NPD. Not many humans like that.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
And I disagree about any athleticism gap. Jojo is fully as gifted an athlete as Calvillo. What makes Calvillo special is her skillset, work ethic, and mental outlook & strengths. She's not an exceptional athlete, imo -- up to par, for sure, but not exceptional on, like, a Yair (speed, coordination, balance, etc.)/Vick (size/length for the weight class) or even Holly (lifelong athlete, groomed, slightly quicker/stronger than the rest) level. They're comparable athletically, but Jojo is bigger, very skilled comparatively, and the size matters in terms of Calvillo's strengths/weaknesses.

And I'll bet anybody $100 right now on Jojo if we've bet before. Fuck it, I'll go $200. But only til the lines come out. lol

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Ok...not that it makes a difference, but gotta rescind that bet offer. Apparently Calvillo is freaky strong for her division. Was recently told by a friend that a training partner of his, same weight class but male (and pro fighter from wrestling background), said he had a lot of trouble with her.

That's fukin nuts.