Joe Duffy ‘definitely going to test free agency,’ but ‘would gladly’ re-sign with UFC for right deal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/GHbcO_Ta8t8

Joe Duffy will be the latest UFC fighter to test free agency.

The 29-year-old Irish lightweight completed the final fight of his UFC deal on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 107, soundly defeating Reza Madadi to cap off a sterling 4-1 Octagon run. And just days afterward, Duffy confirmed what many observers within the mixed martial arts world already suspected: he intends to see what kind of opportunities await him on the open market.

“I suppose we’ll have to wait and see now,” Duffy said on The MMA Hour. “I’ve come this far. I’m definitely going to test free agency. I’m going to see what offers come in. I believe there’s something like, maybe 90 days, before I can speak with other promotions or something. Obviously I know the UFC has a window now where they can make some offers, so who knows what offers they’ll make.

“So, I suppose I’m just going to wait and see. I’m going to look at my options. This sport is not a sport we’re in for the rest of our lives, so I’m definitely going to try to make the most of it in the short space of time we’re in it. It’s not like we’ve got a pension plan or anything else, so I’ve got to try and weigh out the options and go for the best option.”

Duffy (17-2) has thus far impressed over the course of his UFC run, scoring a trio of first-round finishes — highlighted by a 25-second submission of Mitch Clarke — while only faltering once in a contest against top-10 ranked lightweight contender Dustin Poirier. Duffy also is a native Irishman with a built-in storyline of being just one of three men to defeat reigning UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor, having done so in just 38 seconds back in 2010 under the Cage Warriors umbrella.

But stalled contract talks with the UFC led to a protracted delay in competition for Duffy following his July 2016 victory over Clarke. So after spending eight months biding his time on the shelf, and with the stakes looming of how a win or loss at UFC Fight Night 107 would affect his next potential payday, Duffy admitted that his meeting against Madadi felt different than any other fight during his UFC tenure.

“I think I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel the pressure,” Duffy said. “Certainly through camp, every session, it felt like it mattered a little bit more. Even fight week, it was slightly different. There was definitely a different feel to it. The pressure was there in the background. I felt maybe my mind would wander now and again, but I knew I had a very tough fight, and I think the fact it was (against) someone like Reza helped, because I had to really focus on the fight itself.”

Full story here:
With UFC deal up, Joe Duffy ‘definitely going to test free agency’

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
I'm sure the UFC is everyone's first choice... if the numbers are right of course. That said, Duffy would be a silly goose if he didn't recognize the position he is in. I honestly think he has been underutilized by the UFC.

Bellator has gone to Ireland twice and 3 months. They need Irish talent; they also need new names at lw. Duffy fits the build with respect to both points.

I honestly think there is a fair fair shot at Duffy landing in Bellator. Rest assured though, Smith and grande will not be able to stop talking about Duffy finishing Conor if duffy indeed signs with Bellator.

Side note: any news on Michael McDonald? He would be a solid pick up at BW

M

member 3289

If Bellator throws enough money at him then I doubt the UFC will match.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
bellator lookin mighty fine lately. duffy would be a nice addition.
Yep. The only reason I'd want him to resign with the UFC is to see a rematch with McGregor but I'm 99.9999% that fight would never happen regardless. So fuck it, Bellator open that vault baby :)

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
If Bellator throws enough money at him then I doubt the UFC will match.
They should though.
Yep. The only reason I'd want him to resign with the UFC is to see a rematch with McGregor but I'm 99.9999% that fight would never happen regardless. So fuck it, Bellator open that vault baby :)
I don't think Conor's ever coming back to MMA

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I can just hear UFC meatheads now. "Awww look at Bellator trying to get their own Irish guy. Riding the UFC's nuts again"

Just shut up already fag-gots.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Duffy is easily top 15 probably top 10. UFC would be stupid to let a quality fighter like him go.

distant1

Feb 13, 2017
bellator would make him the face of their european cards and he is much closer to the title than in ufc; his rank...record arent the type that will get him top money or big matchups.

ufc long term could pay off, if he can put the wins together; bellator pays off cus its not as deep he could compete at fw or lw in bellator and would be pushed as a top guy potential star; that aint ever happening in the ufc.

hope he goes for what pays him the most and establish their brands long term, sports esp combat sports are very very short careers..get all u can