John Makdessi undergoes successful jaw surgery

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Courtesy of Ariel Helwani
John Makdessi undergoes successful jaw surgery - MMA Fighting

John Makdessi had successful surgery on his broken jaw Sunday in Las Vegas, his manager Hector Castro informed MMAFighting.com. Makdessi broke his jaw late in the second round of his UFC 187 fight against Donald Cerrone on Saturday night. The injury forced him to verbally submit.

According to Castro, Makdessi's jaw broke in one place, which is actually good, however, he will now be forced to have his jaw wired shut for six weeks and stick to a liquid-only diet.

"John is very emotional right now," Castro said. "He is very upset with his performance. He wanted to put on a better show for the fans but will bounce back from the experience stronger."

In a Facebook post, Makdessi wrote about the injury and wondered out loud whether fighting at 155 pounds leaves him at a disadvantage.

Following the fight, UFC president Dana White showered Makdessi with praise.

"Makdessi, I have so much respect for you," White told FOX Sports 1. "Thank you for taking that fight on short notice and thank you for fighting the fight that you fought."

Makdessi is hoping to fly home to Montreal Monday night.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I'm glad he's ok, he came to fight what appeared to be a much heavier (in reality), much bigger fighter. Fuc- all the tough guy shi-, I'm glad he cares about his health and wish all the best to him. Drop weight friend because you are tough.