Johny Hendricks will get next WW title shot, will attend UFC 189

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Former champion Johny Hendricks is ready to get that welterweight title back.

And he'll attend UFC 189 on July 11 to watch current champion Robbie Lawler defend the belt against Rory MacDonald to find out who it is he'll be facing.

According to a report on UFC Tonight, Hendricks has been informed that he's next in line for the winner MacDonald-Lawler, but he and his camp is taking it with a grain of salt. Hendricks' manager Ted Erhardt told Ariel Helwani that they will believe they are next for a shot when they see it, but that right now Hendricks isn't interested in anything else.

Erhardt said Hendricks wants the shot that he was promised prior to fighting Matt Brown at UFC 185 in Dallas. Hendricks dominated Brown for three rounds en-route to a unanimous decision.

LINK: Johny Hendricks told he's next for welterweight title shot, will attend UFC 189 - MMA Fighting

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Have him fight Tyron Woodley for the shot.
That is why the UFC has already put him in the 1 spot to avoid Woodley, Egg doesnt want to have hendricks battered and beat down. Woodley has been calling for this fight and with the recent history normally they make the match ups, but not this time, go figure.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
WW is thin after the Top 5, so they're avoiding matching title contenders against one another. How an organization can have 500+ fighters on the roster, and have so many divisions be as thin as they are, is beyond me.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Anybody else getting sick of seeing Hendricks fighting for the title? If he gets the next title shot then 4 of his last 5 fights will have been for the title. Has this ever happened before with any other fighter? It's almost as if the UFC has an interest in Hendricks being the champion.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
It's almost as if the UFC has an interest in Hendricks being the champion.
There's a certain Canadian waiting on the sidelines for the right opportunity to fight for the belt, and the UFC seems to be setting that up.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Anybody else getting sick of seeing Hendricks fighting for the title? If he gets the next title shot then 4 of his last 5 fights will have been for the title. Has this ever happened before with any other fighter? It's almost as if the UFC has an interest in Hendricks being the champion.
Faber has got to be up there on title fight ratio, I would think. But, I hear ya. I like Hendricks but it is a little crazy...but again, I blame Zuffa for building these divisions better.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
They need to give someone else the title shot to make things more interesting. Cant have the same 2 guys fighting over and over in different divisions.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Until Texas tests OOC (Only because I want a consistent policy and process not because of morality against PED's I'd prefer Pride IF IT WERE POSSIBLE) I don't want to see them or Hendricks get any attention.

I realize certain members are from there but, I think even they *should* agree it's utterly ridiculous Texas is still a hole in the net and Hendricks fluctuating gastank is a suspect issue with me.

Kinosis

May 26, 2015
I'm kind of tired of seeing Robbie Lawler, Rory MacDonald and Hendricks. Match these guys up against new people.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm kind of tired of seeing Robbie Lawler, Rory MacDonald and Hendricks. Match these guys up against new people.
Yep. Bring Gastelum back down, get Condit & Woodley in the mix. Matt Brown is always down. Throw Bendo's ass in there against one of them.

nni

Jan 21, 2015
Well, to be fair they are the top 3 in the division and are quite a bit above any of the other top 10 guys.

I would like Hendricks vs. Woodley so that those two are active, and I'm not a fan of a title shot after 1 win.

Unfortunately the UFC fired two top 10 fighters in that division in the last couple of years (Shields and Palhares) and refuses to sign Askren, who is also around the top 10.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I gotta ask why your tired of Rory? He hasn't even had a title shot yet and is very deserving of one. Him and Hector would've been good but....

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I just find it strange not to match up Hendricks vs Woodley, seems like that would be a great $ draw. Hendricks was pushed early on for having all this KO power yet only has 5 KO/TKO in 15 fights with UFC and the last one in 2012. The UFC builds up certain fighters and will block others in favor of those built up ones.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You're sick of the guy who did what asked of him and more to get his titleshot while the people he fought did nothing to stop him?

All the other guys shit the bed or got injured when given their chances to enter the top 5 and deny Rory this time around and the UFC wanted all of them to do it. 4 of them had a chance to knock Rory out of contention.

Two choked completely, one got KO'd for the first time in his career and the other failed a test. How is any of that on Rory and /or him being spam used in this equation? Because it's a rematch against Robbie? That's the champ, they fought before, Rory won his follow up fights.
Being annoyed with Hendricks getting pushes? Fine. Rory? They let him fight a guy ranked over 10 spots below him on a call out hoping he'd lose and then still wanted him to fight Lombard and people were fine with it and are in the same way totally against Luke and Jacare deciding the real number 1 contender. It's either one way or another, contenders fight till there's one guy, or you load the gun with possibles in case and don't knock them off.

Hendricks is a different issue and Robbie has only done what asked of him. The only guy who managed to delay Rory's earned shot is the Champ himself and apart from Hendricks is the only guy with any claim to the title fight right now.

Be thankful at least Rory earned his shot with wins, other weightclasses people are fighting off loses or completely irrelevant to the picture with no top wins

Last edited:

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yep. Bring Gastelum back down, get Condit & Woodley in the mix. Matt Brown is always down. Throw Bendo's ass in there against one of them.
That's all well and good but Woodley shit the bed, Condit fucked his knee up, Gastelum shit the bed and Matt Brown can't beat the guys he needs to enter the top 5. If people don't like Rory, that's their right, but he's not part of this twosome the UFC wants to trilogy and gets thrown in as a problem at WW for a reason I can't figure out other than he fought Robbie in a non-title fight. Rory did more than what was asked of him, losing close to Robbie doesn't and shouldn't disqualify him from a titleshot after beating the next guys he had to make it back. UFC wanted to stop him, all those guys failed to show up or beat him.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
and again, TWO OR LESS TITLE FIGHTS PER DIVISION PER YEAR, is what is to blame here. People are sick of the same names, because it takes 6 months to accomplish a titlefight now. THe work rate is grinding the divisions to a halt.

ALL HAIL PEOPLE'S CHAMPION CERRONE, SAVIOUR FROM THE UFC MOLASSES MARKETING AND INJURY/ TEST FAILURE MACHINE!

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Why do you say this?
He let Rory dictate everything and didn't do anything in the fight after talking a big game, even admit recently he's had issues in big fights like that.

He will make a statement then get an opportunity to make a bigger one and then a fight like that happens.

He shit the bed differently than Hector but the exact same way Ellenberger did and like Ellenberger can't sustain a consistent string of fights yet. He'll win a couple then a puzzling loss.

P

Punch

He let Rory dictate everything and didn't do anything in the fight after talking a big game, even admit recently he's had issues in big fights like that.

He will make a statement then get an opportunity to make a bigger one and then a fight like that happens.

He shit the bed differently than Hector but the exact same way Ellenburger did
Gotcha. I thought you meant shit the bed in the same manner as Gastelum or Lombard in that they fucked up outside of the cage.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
id like to see the rankings actually mean something.they should be made from a governing body outside of zuffa and the mma media. theoretically the champ should have to fight the #1 contender within 6 months .#2 should fight #3 and so on.no more talking yourself into a title shot. anything that falls outside of top 15 is open game.all the other sports rankings mean something and cant be changed. it wouldnt matter if the NHL playoffs were between the pheonix coyotes and the columbus blue jackets and no one watched.the league couldnt just go lets put the rangers and the kings in the finals it will make more money.people would be up in arms crying corruption. if mma is ever going to be a serious sport the rankings must mean something

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
id like to see the rankings actually mean something.they should be made from a governing body outside of zuffa and the mma media. theoretically the champ should have to fight the #1 contender within 6 months .#2 should fight #3 and so on.no more talking yourself into a title shot. anything that falls outside of top 15 is open game.all the other sports rankings mean something and cant be changed. it wouldnt matter if the NHL playoffs were between the pheonix coyotes and the columbus blue jackets and no one watched.the league couldnt just go lets put the rangers and the kings in the finals it will make more money.people would be up in arms crying corruption. if mma is ever going to be a serious sport the rankings must mean something
i agree, but then egg white couldnt dictate everything.

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Gotcha. I thought you meant shit the bed in the same manner as Gastelum or Lombard in that they fucked up outside of the cage.

Yeah no no, I just consider choking a different version under that umbrella, with Gastelum and Lombard still being worse