Jon Jones: If Rousey gets an immediate rematch, so should Aldo

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Jon Jones shared his views on Conor McGregor's quick knockout of Jose Aldo on Sunday on Twitter.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion and current pound-for-pound king believes that Aldo should get an immediate rematch against McGregor -- especially if Ronda Rousey is getting the same treatment against Holly Holm, Jones tweeted.

View: https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/676216923290476545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

McGregor knocked Aldo out in just 13 seconds in the main event of UFC 194 on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Coming in, though, Aldo had not lost in 10 years, was the only featherweight champion the UFC has ever known and also regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Jones wishes we would have seen "a longer version of the fight," because it would have been "simply epic."

View: https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/676218601016328192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LINK: Jon Jones: If Ronda Rousey gets an immediate rematch, so should Jose Aldo - MMA Fighting

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this, to be honest. Aldo was undefeated for 10 yrs, and the only FW champion the UFC had ever known. So why are Cain and Ronda getting immediate rematches, when both got manhandled by their opponents as well...but Aldo was just glossed over by Zuffa as an afterthought? It's bullshit.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this, to be honest. Aldo was undefeated for 10 yrs, and the only FW champion the UFC had ever known. So why are Cain and Ronda getting immediate rematches, when both got manhandled by their opponents as well...but Aldo was just glossed over by Zuffa as an afterthought? It's bullshit.
Cuz Aldo never kisses ass...Plus Dfw makes up rules as he goes...If It was aaldo Knocked out Conor I wonder how dfw woulda handled that

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Well you are gonna get the ones who think it should not happen, but Jones is correct, Aldo was a Champion when rousey was still an unknown, so if she has earned a rematch then a guy thats been champ for 10 years undefeated and lost then he should have the right to fight again for his belt. Win or lose he has earned that right if you guys think rousey has.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
It's bullshit that Cain and Ronda are getting rematches. But he's right- if you set that precedent, you have to follow it.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
I'm hoping the narrative starts to shift on this, after the shock and awe of it all has started to die down, people come to there senses and realise it should be the next fight for both guys, for all the cliched reasons we're heard in the past, but also sporting ones.

This is where Aldo's lack of PR game really hurts him.

He didn't get the shit kicked out of him like Cain or Ronda did and has had a much longer reign than both. Cain has already dropped the title twice FFS and he gets an immediate rematch.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Zufffa couldn't wait for Aldo to loose. He talks freely about how they don't pay enough, has criticized the Heebok deal etc. plus he doesn't speak English so they can't really market him globally like they can Conor. I'm guessing they were ecstatic to brush Aldo under the rug when Conor landed that shot. I truly feel bad for Aldo. All of that hype to end so quickly and embarrassingly.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Zufffa couldn't wait for Aldo to loose. He talks freely about how they don't pay enough, has criticized the Heebok deal etc. plus he doesn't speak English so they can't really market him globally like they can Conor. I'm guessing they were ecstatic to brush Aldo under the rug when Conor landed that shot. I truly feel bad for Aldo. All of that hype to end so quickly and embarrassingly.
Not to mention the lack of respect they show Aldo. It's all just so degrading to a degree.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I would hope if he doesnt get a rematch he atleast gets out of his UFC contract and goes elsewhere. As i have stated, i dont like him as a fighter, but i dislike zuffa more for their underhanded moves. I think Aldo can make double the money fighting elsewhere, and even bring more viewers to where ever he goes.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I wanna see the rematch but god damn, when you get starched in 13 seconds I think you need a tune up fight to get that confidence back before step in there again.

And for the record I think the same thing applies to Ronda. Let her armbar some soccer mom and get that swagger back.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
I wanna see the rematch but god damn, when you get starched in 13 seconds I think you need a tune up fight to get that confidence back before step in there again.

And for the record I think the same thing applies to Ronda. Let her armbar some soccer mom and get that swagger back.
I hope this lights a fire for Aldo

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I would hope if he doesnt get a rematch he atleast gets out of his UFC contract and goes elsewhere. As i have stated, i dont like him as a fighter, but i dislike zuffa more for their underhanded moves. I think Aldo can make double the money fighting elsewhere, and even bring more viewers to where ever he goes.
I honestly think he would have a much better chance riding the momentum of a few wins then going straight back to the eye of the storm.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I honestly believe Aldo needs a few wins before he should on the storm that McGreggor has brought to the UFC. I think he would have a much better chance riding the momentum of a few wins then going straight back to the eye of the storm.
I dont, if thats the case then I think rousey needs a few more wins. After all Aldso go caught with a good punch, rousey got beat down. Apples to Apples then you got to be fair across the board. When the UFC does shit like this, it pushes them alot further toward a mafia run type sport than a professional sports organization.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Mixed emotions here. If I'm going to base it in UFCs matching making history then of course Jose deserves the quick rematch. Having said that Frankie has done so much to get his shot and that fight with Conor is extremely interesting to me. I'll probably stay neutral and just hope to see Conor defend his title asap.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I dont, if thats the case then I think rousey needs a few more wins. After all Aldso go caught with a good punch, rousey got beat down. Apples to Apples then you got to be fair across the board. When the UFC does shit like this, it pushes them alot further toward a mafia run type sport than a professional sports organization.
To your point, I also don't think Ronda deserves an immediate rematch either. There are so many more competitive matches to be made that it's a shame to waste the time and effort on another beat down. But Ronda makes them money, just like Conor does. Aldo? Not so much.

GarlicSenior

Nov 9, 2015
Yeah if we're going on the stupid best 2 out of 3 precedent that Zuffa has set then Aldo probably deserves the rematch even more so. But with the way both previous contests went, I don't like the idea of either one of them getting an immediate rematch. Let's see some fresh match ups, let both Ronda and Jose collect a win or two and get back on track mentally.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
To your point, I also don't think Ronda deserves an immediate rematch either. There are so many more competitive matches to be made that it's a shame to waste the time and effort on another beat down. But Ronda makes them money, just like Conor does. Aldo? Not so much.
Thats good to hear, I wish more of the MMA fan base took that stance. But if your gonna say your a professional organization, you cannot fake rankings like they did with Valarie, you cannot favor one fighter over another as they are doing with a few Sage/Paige 40/40, and you cannot deny a champion a rematch if they want it. I am sure there are alot of people looking at how this type stuff plays out. The Ali act might be closer than we think

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Thats good to hear, I wish more of the MMA fan base took that stance. But if your gonna say your a professional organization, you cannot fake rankings like they did with Valarie, you cannot favor one fighter over another as they are doing with a few Sage/Paige 40/40, and you cannot deny a champion a rematch if they want it. I am sure there are alot of people looking at how this type stuff plays out. The Ali act might be closer than we think
I think the longer you follow the UFC the more apparent it becomes that they definitely manipulate the narrative to benefit their bottom line. I can't really blame them, being a for profit company and all, but it certainly doesn't it lend itself to true competition. In a perfect world, Conor would have faced Edgar, Mendez etc before the Aldo match, but they cherry picked his opponents until Aldo pulled and they brought in an off camp Mendez. Why didn't they go with Frankie, who clearly deserved the shot since Mendez just lost to Aldo prior to the Conor fight? Lots of stuff to question but it all makes sense when you follow the $$$$$

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think the longer you follow the UFC the more apparent it becomes that they definitely manipulate the narrative to benefit their bottom line. I can't really blame them, being a for profit company and all, but it certainly doesn't it lend itself to true competition. In a perfect world, Conor would have faced Edgar, Mendez etc before the Aldo match, but they cherry picked his opponents until Aldo pulled and they brought in an off camp Mendez. Why didn't they go with Frankie, who clearly deserved the shot since Mendez just lost to Aldo prior to the Conor fight? Lots of stuff to question but it all makes sense when you follow the $$$$$
No but if the Atlanta Falcons lucked up and made the superbowl and the Patriots didnt, would the NFL do all it could not to have the falcons play? Same with any other sport?

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
If there isn't a rematch, and we all know Conor would bitch about it (which is maybe justified) all it means is Zuffa dgaf about fighters which we all knew anyway! I will not be surprised if there is not rematch

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Why did Cub not get the nod when he was on a streak? Because he lost to Aldo in a very quick and violent fashion, which makes selling a rematch difficult. I know it is different with Aldo because of his dominance, but I don't think an immediate rematch is even in Aldo's best interests.

Taking a fight or two to get back to winning ways would mean he was coming into the fight on a high, rather than a low, and have had the chance to remind fickle fans of how good he really is. I don't think Ronda should get the rematch, but lets be honest here, she isn't getting the rematch because of fairness, they want her to have it because it will make the most money. Cain is a similar situation.

And that isn't the wrong way to go about it. While MMA is a sport, it is also part carnival, and the UFC as a business should look to do what makes themselves and the fighters the most money. It's just a part and parcel of the whole package that we call combat sports. People have tried to make it more like league sports, the IFL for instance, and it doesn't work.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why did Cub not get the nod when he was on a streak? Because he lost to Aldo in a very quick and violent fashion, which makes selling a rematch difficult. I know it is different with Aldo because of his dominance, but I don't think an immediate rematch is even in Aldo's best interests.

Taking a fight or two to get back to winning ways would mean he was coming into the fight on a high, rather than a low, and have had the chance to remind fickle fans of how good he really is. I don't think Ronda should get the rematch, but lets be honest here, she isn't getting the rematch because of fairness, they want her to have it because it will make the most money. Cain is a similar situation.

And that isn't the wrong way to go about it. While MMA is a sport, it is also part carnival, and the UFC as a business should look to do what makes themselves and the fighters the most money. It's just a part and parcel of the whole package that we call combat sports. People have tried to make it more like league sports, the IFL for instance, and it doesn't work.
Agreed. So let's have Ronda fight someone like Pena, and Cain maybe Arvloski. Because what's good for one champ that loses, should be good for them all. Like you always say Zeph, what's fair is fair...the rules are the rules.