Jon Jones success as a Heavyweight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

How will Jones fair at HW?

• Wins the title and defends it without losing

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Wins the title but loses it at some point

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Fights for the title but never wins it

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Is a contender but never fights for the belt

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
M

member 1013

Here's how I see it going down with the best in the division. I will assume they will all be 5 round fights because I don't see Jones not main eventing.

Rankings per UFC.com and BLAFs butt:

Champion: Fabricio Werdum
I think Werdum wins this one via submission either early in the first or in the 3rd.
1 Cain Velasquez
If Cain is healthy and in top form I could see him winning a decision or late TKO but if he looks like he did against Werdum Jones by decision.
2 Junior Dos Santos
This one is really interesting. If JDS can avoid the take down I would take him to KO Jones myself. JDS has not been himself since the Cain wars though.
3 Stipe Miocic
I am inclined to take Jones via decision but Stipe is tough as nails.
4 Andrei Arlovski
Jones via decision if he avoids Arlovski's power, if not, Arlovski KO RD 1 (he can put ANYONE down).
5 Travis Browne
If Travis stays at Glendale Fight Club Jones will eat him for a nice snack. :)
6 Josh Barnett
Jones keeps it on the feet for the majority of the fight and wins a decision. He would purposefully avoid the catch wrestling threat of the larger grappler. If the fight stays on the ground for an extended period it is dangerous for Jones.
7 Mark Hunt
Jones will have to fight very carefully here, but I think he can use his speed and length to tire out Hunt. I could also see him catching Mark in a choke in a scramble. Of course if Hunt catches him, it's trouble.
8 Ben Rothwell
Big Ben is cagey and experienced and game as hell. Jones' best bet would be to keep him outside and outpoint him for a decision, which I see him successfully doing 8/10.
9 Alistair Overeem
Overeem destroys Jones for 2.5 rounds before the AC comes on in the arena and knocks Alistair unconscious for 10 hours. (J/K)
10 Frank Mir
I think this is one of the most dangerous match-ups for Jones. On the ground Mir breaks his arm IMO, but Jones can probably use his length and speed and comparative youth to pick apart Frank, winning a decision or possibly even TKOing him late as Frank has been in some wars. However, Frank also has the potential to win this fight on the feet or on the ground at any time. I see this one as a 50-50 toss up.
What do you guys think? Rip my post apart like the savage wolf pack you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

easedel

Jan 18, 2015
Will there even be a HW div when he gets there in 2 or 3 years?? Seriously it is lacking as fuck and the current HW aren't getting any younger.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I really don't even need to say anything here, but the fact is he can't be beat by anyone if he prepares for the fight. It's just a fact. He would dismantle anyone who rolls the dice and thinks they can beat him.........it's just life.

m40a3

Nov 25, 2015
Personally id favour Jones over anyone besides maybe Werdum. Now there are a couple others at heavyweight that could potentially beat him but i feel like between Jones and his coaches they would find the ways to win. John has the tools there to beat them all, Werdum is tricky though

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
Personally id favour Jones over anyone besides maybe Werdum. Now there are a couple others at heavyweight that could potentially beat him but i feel like between Jones and his coaches they would find the ways to win. John has the tools there to beat them all, Werdum is tricky though
Agree with 90% of this, but feel werdum would be solved also.........just don't think Jones can be beat.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Agree with 90% of this, but feel werdum would be solved also.........just don't think Jones can be beat.
I'm not trying to be flip, but how does Jones beat Werdum? I honestly can't think of a facet where I say "Hands down, Jones has better *insert skill here* than Werdum"

m40a3

Nov 25, 2015
if i was forced to bet the house on Jones vs Werdum id pick Jones. Im just pretty high on Werdum with how hes improved over the last few years and what hes accomplished. Werdum is a sly old fox in there and if anyone was gonna catch Jones somehow i could imagine it being him

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
I'm not trying to be flip, but how does Jones beat Werdum? I honestly can't think of a facet where I say "Hands down, Jones has better *insert skill here* than Werdum"
Brother, I can't fight this battle in an educated way because I can't tell you technically how, but know that Jones/Jackson/Winklejohn will work out a plan......and couple that with Jones' talent, can't be beat or won't be beat......just me 2 cents

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Brother, I can't fight this battle in an educated way because I can't tell you technically how, but know that Jones/Jackson/Winklejohn will work out a plan......and couple that with Jones' talent, can't be beat or won't be beat......just me 2 cents
I understand, about the only time I'd bet against Jones would be if he were fighting Werdum, and my logic is actually the same as yorus. He just keeps doing stuff he isn't supposed to.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Jon Jones lacks KO power. Something all the other HW's posses. Even the ones that aren't considered power punchers. Like Cain, Stipe. Jones has no stopping power.

I can still see him beating most Heavyweights though. Certain fighters will give him prohlems, Werdum, Stipe, overeem, JDS.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
I understand, about the only time I'd bet against Jones would be if he were fighting Werdum, and my logic is actually the same as yorus. He just keeps doing stuff he isn't supposed to.
That's why they fight the fights and I would/will love/like to see this fight after he demoralises Daniel

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Jon Jones lacks KO power. Something all the other HW's posses. Even the ones that aren't considered power punchers. Like Cain, Stipe. Jones has no stopping power.

I can still see him beating most Heavyweights though. Certain fighters will give him prohlems, Werdum, Stipe, overeem, JDS.
That's going to be his main problem at HW. Just about anyone up there can put his lights out with one shot.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
That's why they fight the fights and I would/will love/like to see this fight after he demoralises Daniel
I'm curious to see him fight DC again. I still don't see an area where DC's skill set exceeds Jones', but their fight was closer than most people seem to remember.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
I'm curious to see him fight DC again. I still don't see an area where DC's skill set exceeds Jones', but their fight was closer than most people seem to remember.
He was mad as fuck last time but cormier publically kicked sand in his face after he beat Johnson so I think he is going to manhandle him so bad this time and pretty much do the equivalent of spitting in his face from a fighting perspective, not literally......I believe he will humiliate Dan this time.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Would Cormier vs Jones at HW be any different? DC wouldn't have to cut as much. Would it be more competitive or Jones still beats him?

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Werdum I see catching a choke or doing something bad to one of his long limbs. To say Werdum couldn't would be saying that Jones is un-submittable essentially, and I can't see that as the case.

It probably wouldn't happen early in the fight and Jones I could see taking the first two rounds, but later on once Jones is worked a bit and less on guard, I think Werdum's mastery finds a way.

Cormier at HW depends on how much his inside punching progresses against a Jones from what we saw him do to Gus. If it can't then there's no difference, they both just end up bigger and not entirely big HW's either of them.

Cain I assume suffers a knee injury in the match or any match where he has to move a lot and can't just jam someone on the fence and probably early enough to effect the fight, for that reason I would pick Jones.

Also what detriment Jones' muscle mass has to his cardio at HW should that be the result remains to be seen.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Werdum I see catching a choke or doing something bad to one of his long limbs. To say Werdum couldn't would be saying that Jones is un-submittable essentially, and I can't see that as the case.

It probably wouldn't happen early in the fight and Jones I could see taking the first two rounds, but later on once Jones is worked a bit and less on guard, I think Werdum's mastery finds a way.

Cormier at HW depends on how much his inside punching progresses against a Jones from what we saw him do to Gus. If it can't then there's no difference, they both just end up bigger and not entirely big HW's either of them.

Cain I assume suffers a knee injury in the match or any match where he has to move a lot and can't just jam someone on the fence and probably early enough to effect the fight, for that reason I would pick Jones.

Also what detriment Jones' muscle mass has to his cardio at HW should that be the result remains to be seen.
To extrapolate on your point about Jones's muscle mass, people are also assuming he bulks up a lot, or at all. By most accounts he walks around at about 230 which puts him about in line with what Cain and Werdum usually weigh in at.

I do think you're a little off the mark on Cain though. I assume he suffers his knee injury getting out of bed in the morning. Someone needs to get him, Pettis, and Cruz wrapped in bubble wrap at all times they aren't in the octagon.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
To extrapolate on your point about Jones's muscle mass, people are also assuming he bulks up a lot, or at all. By most accounts he walks around at about 230 which puts him about in line with what Cain and Werdum usually weigh in at.

I do think you're a little off the mark on Cain though. I assume he suffers his knee injury getting out of bed in the morning. Someone needs to get him, Pettis, and Cruz wrapped in bubble wrap at all times they aren't in the octagon.

I assume going to HW opens the floodgate for Jones to be bigger, he's at the right camp for having that done intelligently but, as this would be the first time he really would do that it may be an adjustment initially as Mir had and others had to learn too.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015

In fairness he has never relied on knocking people out.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
As well as him being very ectoish would suggest the small amount of size he put on won't be an issue.