Jon Jones suspended for one year by Nevada Athletic Commission

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to serve the rest of a one-year suspension his drug test failure prior to UFC 200

We finally have a decision regarding the future of Jon Jones.

As per MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani, the Nevada Athletic Commission has agreed with USADA and issued a one-year suspension to the former UFC light heavyweight champion. Said suspension will be retroactive to the date of the test failure, which is July 6th of 2016.

After failing the drug test said to be due to a supplement for sexual performance, Jones and his team filed an appeal, which was later shot down. The independent arbitration panel from McLaren Global Sports Solutions ultimately agreed with USADA and their decision to suspend Jones for a year.

The pill in question is what is believed to…

Jones suspended one year by Nevada Athletic Commission

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Heavy-handed imo. It was fairly obvious that Jon did not knowingly take any banned substances, so he should've gotten 6 months
Intent does not matter. The responsibility is solely the fighter's.

I think the year suspension is to deter more guys from using the boner pill explanation. Now it is out in the open for the next guy, don't use boner pills. Period.

M

member 3289

I think the year suspension is to deter more guys from using the boner pill explanation. Now it is out in the open for the next guy, don't use boner pills. Period.
The only thing Jon is guilty of is being a pimp.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

Intent should matter, but people on the internet have a warped view of "intent".

If you intentionally take a boner pill because you know the substance is a performance enhancer both in and out of the bedroom you shouldnt be classed with a guy who cant keep his dick hard so takes a boner pill for in bedroom only.

Fine line, but that is the world of PED testers. The line is fine between, OK I believe your words you tell me to, Nope, your'e lying.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016

Former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to serve the rest of a one-year suspension his drug test failure prior to UFC 200

We finally have a decision regarding the future of Jon Jones.

As per MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani, the Nevada Athletic Commission has agreed with USADA and issued a one-year suspension to the former UFC light heavyweight champion. Said suspension will be retroactive to the date of the test failure, which is July 6th of 2016.

After failing the drug test said to be due to a supplement for sexual performance, Jones and his team filed an appeal, which was later shot down. The independent arbitration panel from McLaren Global Sports Solutions ultimately agreed with USADA and their decision to suspend Jones for a year.

The pill in question is what is believed to…

Jones suspended one year by Nevada Athletic Commission
Seems like intent is very difficult to prove in these cases and that the "tainted supplements" defense will get you a lighter sentence. What I'm saying, and this is speculation, is that IF Jones had a history of steroid use (remember the hiding underneath the cage at Jackson's rumor?), his estrogen levels would be higher than normal, so it would make sense for him to take an estrogen blocker (or a supplement that contains them) to keep those in check.

Yoel Romero use the "tainted supplements" excuse too, right? And didn't Brock Lesnar get busted for the same thing as Jones?

Here's a thought: the UFC hired USADA to test its fighters -- but how is that not a conflict of interest? If the UFC pays USADA money, what's to prevent the UFC from asking them to do things not necessarily above-board, like delay Brock's test results so he could fight at UFC 200?

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Seems like intent is very difficult to prove in these cases and that the "tainted supplements" defense will get you a lighter sentence. What I'm saying, and this is speculation, is that IF Jones had a history of steroid use (remember the hiding underneath the cage at Jackson's rumor?), his estrogen levels would be higher than normal, so it would make sense for him to take an estrogen blocker (or a supplement that contains them) to keep those in check.

Yoel Romero use the "tainted supplements" excuse too, right? And didn't Brock Lesnar get busted for the same thing as Jones?

Here's a thought: the UFC hired USADA to test its fighters -- but how is that not a conflict of interest? If the UFC pays USADA money, what's to prevent the UFC from asking them to do things not necessarily above-board, like delay Brock's test results so he could fight at UFC 200?
It is a good point and the only answer is it is down to the integrity of USADA. Which I personally have no reason to suspect.

M

member 3289

If the UFC pays USADA money, what's to prevent the UFC from asking them to do things not necessarily above-board, like delay Brock's test results so he could fight at UFC 200?
Nothing preventing the UFC from asking, but I'd say the risk of that getting out and the subsequent damage to USADA's reputation would prevent USADA from saying yes.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The article includes the following.

1. Fact: In an unannounced test, USADA, which was paid $150,000 to do drug testing for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, caught Floyd Mayweather injecting himself with an IV the night before his fight with Pacquiao. They did nothing and then 18 days after the fight retroactively gave him a therapeutic use exemption for a procedure that is on the WADA Prohibited Substances and Methods List.

2.Allegation: For other fights, USADA allegedly busted Mayweather three times on an 'A' test for a prohibited substance. Instead of testing the B sample and possible reporting him as positive, the simply gave Floyd an inadvertent use waiver so they wouldn't have to test t

Read more:The most disturbing doping allegation ever? USADA caught Mayweather before his big fight but let him fight anyway.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
The article includes the following.

1. Fact: In an unannounced test, USADA, which was paid $150,000 to do drug testing for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, caught Floyd Mayweather injecting himself with an IV the night before his fight with Pacquiao. They did nothing and then 18 days after the fight retroactively gave him a therapeutic use exemption for a procedure that is on the WADA Prohibited Substances and Methods List.

2.Allegation: For other fights, USADA allegedly busted Mayweather three times on an 'A' test for a prohibited substance. Instead of testing the B sample and possible reporting him as positive, the simply gave Floyd an inadvertent use waiver so they wouldn't have to test t

Read more:The most disturbing doping allegation ever? USADA caught Mayweather before his big fight but let him fight anyway.
Very interesting. I'll read up later