Jon Jones Would Step Up & Fight Stipe for Title (Article)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RickStorm

Posting Machine
Jan 30, 2015
This would get him some fans, and I for one would love to see it

Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.

After a series of changes to the Feb. 6 card, the pay-per-view event is currently without a main event. Enter former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones?

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC), whom UFC officials recently reinstated from a suspension following an April hit-and-run accident, had been looking for a chance to reclaim the light-heavyweight belt, which was stripped after his arrest.

However, could Jones, who’s ranked No. 1 in the MMAjunkie/USA TODAY Sports MMA pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight rankings, accelerate his plan for a long-planned and eventual move up to heavyweight?

On Monday, Cain Velasquez (13-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) pulled out of his rematch with heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum (20-5-1 MMA, 8-2 UFC). Stipe Miocic (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) then stepped in as a replacement, but citing foot and back injuries, Werdum then also pulled out of the event, and UFC 196 was left without a headliner – and Miocic was left without an opponent (get all the details in the above video).

A few folks suggested a long-shot possibility: Miocic vs. Jones for an interim belt.

Jones said he’s in – but only if the “interim” tag is removed from the stakes (via Twitter):

Read rest here
Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
That would be awesome.

Whatever Zuffas plans are for 196, they need to get the ball rolling ASAP. Less than 2 weeks out now.

Either put together a main event in the next day or two, or just put it on FSP1.

Or just scrap the card all together.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Beat me to it. I got scooped!
Would be a good fight not sure the belt needs to be on the line.
Redeem 151 Jones! Just fight.

P

Punch

This would get him some fans, and I for one would love to see it

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.

After a series of changes to the Feb. 6 card, the pay-per-view event is currently without a main event. Enter former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones?

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC), whom UFC officials recently reinstated from a suspension following an April hit-and-run accident, had been looking for a chance to reclaim the light-heavyweight belt, which was stripped after his arrest.

However, could Jones, who’s ranked No. 1 in the MMAjunkie/USA TODAY Sports MMA pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight rankings, accelerate his plan for a long-planned and eventual move up to heavyweight?

On Monday, Cain Velasquez (13-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) pulled out of his rematch with heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum (20-5-1 MMA, 8-2 UFC). Stipe Miocic (14-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) then stepped in as a replacement, but citing foot and back injuries, Werdum then also pulled out of the event, and UFC 196 was left without a headliner – and Miocic was left without an opponent (get all the details in the above video).

A few folks suggested a long-shot possibility: Miocic vs. Jones for an interim belt.

Jones said he’s in – but only if the “interim” tag is removed from the stakes (via Twitter):

Read rest here

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The UFC better not fuck this up and cancel the event. They have some sensible options to keep this card together.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He would win and be champ, then could hold the hw division hostage (nothing new here) holding that belt also and going down to systematically destroy Cormier, hold both belts and then tell them he wants some time off.......

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Do it Jon!! Do it. I'll try my best to like Jon Jones as a fighter. Cormier can challenge him at hw or lhw, it works for Cormier. UFC will save their lame ass card. Perfect opportunity for Jon for a comeback, crack at the hw belt, chance to redeem 151 (some fans might think), and fans will love this shit! Everyone wins!!!

Guess Jon already stepped up and its up to zuffa..

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Do it Jon!! Do it. I'll try my best to like Jon Jones as a fighter. Cormier can challenge him at hw or lhw, it works for Cormier. UFC will save their lame ass card. Perfect opportunity for Jon for a comeback, crack at the hw belt, chance to redeem 151 (some fans might think), and fans will love this shit! Everyone wins!!!

Guess Jon already stepped up and its up to zuffa..
Like him, because you will only be disappointed with every single fight he graces us with.......

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
too good to be true..they won't do it
No way this happens, though its a smart way by Jones to set up the scene for his future heavyweight move..Werdum will be disrespected..as he can argue his opponent pulled out, while he was gonna pull through and fight injured, some shit might be talked and then we have a fight!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
He would win and be champ, then could hold the hw division hostage (nothing new here) holding that belt also and going down to systematically destroy Cormier, hold both belts and then tell them he wants some time off.......
Or we could see Jones and Cormier face off for BOTH titles.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I think Jones would win it rather easily, to be honest. Size wouldn't be an issue and Jon is a far more dynamic fighter IMO.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
I agree with the first part of your post, but he wouldn't go back down and make it easy for Cormier if he became heavyweight champion. Jones would torture Cormier via social media until finally Daniel was forced to move back up in an attempt to exact his revenge.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Makes no sense. Werdum won the title less than a year ago. You don't strip a guy of the title for not being able to fight for half a year.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Makes no sense. Werdum won the title less than a year ago. You don't strip a guy of the title for not being able to fight for half a year.
You're right, but the opportunity to see Jones fight at HW in two weeks should trump the sound logic you're using here.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Agreed. The talk of stripping Werdum or an interim belt was a joke to begin with.