Jones: ‘I don’t train to poke people in the eyes’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Jon Jones’ accidental eye poking has apparently been a problem among his opponents. Upcoming challenger Dominick Reyes even says he plans to warn the referee about it when they fight for the title this weekend at UFC 247.

“Bones” is aware that his challenger is also one of those concerned about his eye pokes, which he says would be a non-factor on the fight itself.

“In my last (Alexander) Gustafsson fight, the referee kept saying, ‘Watch your fingers, Jon!’” Jones told MMA Fighting during a fight week conference call. “My fingers weren’t even out, and he kept yelling at me, which was a major distraction.

“I know Dominick has a problem with the finger stuff, too, and he’s talking about talking to the referee before the fight. None of that stuff’s gonna matter, dude. I feel like the game made a rule that was singlehandedly based around me, and I won’t let that type of stuff matter.”

UFC 247’s Jon Jones: ‘I don’t train to poke people in the eyes’

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
if he's not training to poke people in the eyes he should at least be training NOT to fucking do it, what a cunt.

M

member 3289

It happens to all tall fighters with long reach.

Everyone always forgets how often Gustafsson does it.

M

member 3289

I don't think you can say any other fighter has done as much as him man. its pretty much part of his skill set at this point
Nope. He just gets all the attention for it but plenty of other fighters do it more than he does.

Also I've yet to see an incident in which it wasn't 100% accidental with Jones.

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016
Nope. He just gets all the attention for it but plenty of other fighters do it more than he does.

Also I've yet to see an incident in which it wasn't 100% accidental with Jones.
here's my take on it: he doesn't try to poke you necessarily but he leaves his hands out where you can poke your own eyes if you try to get in on him. its an effective tactic and I am not sure about how dirty that move can be considered - he uses his reach very well but that one tactic Im just not sure about.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Jon Jones is a man of God. If some cunt gets poked in the eyeball every now and then, it's a question you have to ask Jesus.

M

member 3289

here's my take on it: he doesn't try to poke you necessarily but he leaves his hands out where you can poke your own eyes if you try to get in on him. its an effective tactic and I am not sure about how dirty that move can be considered - he uses his reach very well but that one tactic Im just not sure about.
Here's my take: he extends his hands to calculate distance so that he is more accurate with his strikes. If you're long enough that you can touch your opponent's face without them being able to punch you, you'd have to be crazy not to do it. But there's a rule now and he's not going to have a problem following it.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
here's my take on it: he doesn't try to poke you necessarily
U sure about that? He literally aims for the eyes with fingers extended...he goes back for seconds if the Ref will let him.
At least 6 of his fights have been affected by these pokes, he uses them instead of punches...an illegal foul to slow his opponent and damage them if possible.

3 straight pokes in a striking only combo...Not Jabs...Just 3 eye pokes to set up a single right ..Who needs a Jab?
He is an accurate striker, and he is also an accurate poker...these aren't accidental in any way.

Last edited:

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016
Here's my take: he extends his hands to calculate distance so that he is more accurate with his strikes. If you're long enough that you can touch your opponent's face without them being able to punch you, you'd have to be crazy not to do it. But there's a rule now and he's not going to have a problem following it.
Yeah i get you man. The technique is valid , unfortunately the execution can cause big problems.

M

member 3289

Yeah i get you man. The technique is valid , unfortunately the execution can cause big problems.
They need to change the gloves. There are gloves out there that force the fingers to be partly closed.

They changed the rules and that will help some but it won't eliminate the problem like a glove change would.

Remember when Struve (same reach as Jones) TKO'd Stipe after blinding him?

Twelve Twenty Four

Jan 21, 2016
They need to change the gloves. There are gloves out there that force the fingers to be partly closed.

They changed the rules and that will help some but it won't eliminate the problem like a glove change would.

Remember when Struve (same reach as Jones) TKO'd Stipe after blinding him?
yeah I member :) I haven't looked into these gloves - I know Rogan loves going on about them. I would assume they don't stifle grappling but I just cant see how they wouldn't.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I’ve tried on some UFC gloves before. They’re not like any other gloves I’ve worn. Your fingers are almost spring loaded to the extended position. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more eye pokes. The Pride gloves are much better, your fingers are spring loaded closed.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It's a dirty tactic used by a good fighter who shouldn't need to do that shit.
It is 100% on purpose, and IMO taints his legacy.