Jones: 'I wanted to make things right for UFC 151'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

"Originally, the UFC called me and asked about Anthony Johnson," Jones explained Monday on The MMA Hour. "They said that he had already accepted the fight, and they asked me if I was going to accept the fight. I told them I needed a meeting with my coaches. I had a meeting with my coaches, and the next morning I called the UFC said let's do this thing. They said that Anthony's camp changed their mind, I guess, since he had some dental work he needed to do.

"That made no sense to me whatsoever, for him to be ready at one point and then the next minute it was dental work. So I just told Lorenzo (Fertitta), whoever you need me to fight, I want to make things right for UFC 151. I want to do something for my fans, something positive. I know people who have been saving up months to make it out to Vegas for this fight. I know guys who, this is their anniversary gift or birthday gift from people, and I was like, you know what, I've put my fans through so much already. I need to get out there and just put it on the line. So I said I'll fight anybody. They came up with Ovince."

LINK: Jon Jones accepted Ovince Saint Preux fight to 'make things right for UFC 151'

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
Get some fans
-Greg Jackson

Jones can't stand being the good guy
-blaf

Hey pussy, you still there?
-Jones

Are..... You.... Kidding... Me!
-goldie

Last edited:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
This confirms what I always suspected: The UFC tricks people into accepting fights by telling lies.

UFC: "Hey Jones, Anthony Johnson told us he'll fight you"
Jones: "OK, let's do it"
UFC: "Hey Anthony, Jones said he'll fight you"
Anthony: "Huh? Can't, dude..........................broken mouf"
UFC: "uh.................. shit.....I mean "oops!"... what do we tell Jones"?

They've pulled this with Nate a bunch of times, and I think pulled this with Arlovski/Overeem...

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
This confirms what I always suspected: The UFC tricks people into accepting fights by telling lies.

UFC: "Hey Jones, Anthony Johnson told us he'll fight you"
Jones: "OK, let's do it"
UFC: "Hey Anthony, Jones said he'll fight you"
Anthony: "Huh? Can't, dude..........................broken mouf"
UFC: "uh.................. shit.....I mean "oops!"... what do we tell Jones"?

They've pulled this with Nate a bunch of times, and I think pulled this with Arlovski/Overeem...
Most recent one with Diaz vs mcgregor, they both said they agreed to 155. Then conor asked Dana and Dana got all red and didn't have an answer. @52 min of the vid.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZ1hGOGa1M

M

member 3289

Anthony accepted the fight when he heard someone had pulled out. Then he heard it was Cormier who pulled out and called his dentist immediately

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
Anthony accepted the fight when he heard someone had pulled out. Then he heard it was Cormier who pulled out and called his dentist immediately
even though he already signed to face Jones before, and got finished by Cormier?

you keep saying this but it still ain't making sense.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Jon was right to walk away from 151. Pretty sad that he'll shape anything into his whole rehabilitated narrative.

TheFightIdiot

Mr. Punch Punch Pendejo
Mar 31, 2016
Jon Jones. I'm so tired of this dude pretending to ever think of anyone besides himself. Jon, it's ok!

Make things right for 151? First off, you don't owe them shit for that. If they didn't make a card that could stand without you than that's on them, they are the promoter. They take more of the pie than anyone.
Secondly, if you did owe them anything, this doesn't make you square. You vs OSP doesn't get anyone excited. The fight was already sold. If anything you should have just waited and fought Cormier at 200.

The fact is he needs money and he needs to show everyone he is still the best after the long layoff. Not because he is some good guy who is trying to make things right. I am completely ok with him being a piece of shit. I just wish he would continue to embrace it.

EDIT: Find a way to state your opinion without taking personal attacks on the fighters.

BW

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Fuck Jon Jones. I'm so tired of this dude pretending to ever think of anyone besides himself. Jon, it's ok! You are a self centered, self absorbed asshole.
Careful yo, no fighter bashing.

Also, Chael wasn't, in any way shape or form a competitive or interesting fight but jon was crucified for backing out.

Osp is 400x's more dangerous than Chael was or could ever be.......just this mans opine

TheFightIdiot

Mr. Punch Punch Pendejo
Mar 31, 2016
At that time Chael was 1,000,000 times more relevant than OSP is or has ever been. Is OSP more dangerous? Sure. Will Jon have any issues with him? No. The point is Jon needs to stop pretending like he is stepping up out of the kindness of his heart. That is complete bullshit. He is selfish and that's ok!

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
At that time Chael was 1,000,000 times more relevant than OSP is or has ever been. Is OSP more dangerous? Sure. Will Jon have any issues with him? No. The point is Jon needs to stop pretending like he is stepping up out of the kindness of his heart. That is complete bullshit. He is selfish and that's ok!
Ok, you're upset, but that is what he does......he is who he is. Chael presented no risk and jon backed out and that is what it is.

Don't worry about it, man (big Jones fight fan here btw), let it go........there are many others who are worse than him but have lost........

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I see a lot of negative comments, so I will point out a huge positive that is a glimpse into a mind that is trying to change for the better-

"Then I started to think about it and I thought, you know what, it would make a lot of people proud. (It would make) a lot of people proud to see me with the belt, even if it's the interim title. It would just be something that is really positive around me, and it's a good thing ultimately. So do I care about an interim title? Not really. But at the same time, I see the good that comes from it, so I'm grateful for that."

This is how we uplift ourselves after we make mistakes. First we assess what is important to us, then we assess how our choices effect those around us. Jones is making big strides here, focusing on being positive and grateful and wanting to justify the support he receives by acheiving something that he believes is greater than himself- the ability to lift up others.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The interim belt sealed the deal for him, no matter what he says. He wanted to fight for a belt, so there he goes. And I do not disagree with him; again an injury ruins a title fight. The interim title does two things here: gives Jones a chance for a belt, and gives the fans somewhat of a title fight.

We tend to critisize the interim belts, but it is the ridiculous amount of injuries causing them (with exception of the Conor belt).

I'm saying is, Jones would not have fought, if he wasn't promised somewhat of a belt for his efforts. No shame in spinning the story to your own advantage, I do not blame him here. He should demand a belt if that is the fight that was promised him. Enough with the injuries and cancelations... just hand out some belts already, they've become of lesser importance to me.

M

member 3289

Jon also volunteered to fight Stipe Miocic and save UFC 196 after Cain and Werdum pulled out.

But no one mentions that.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
even though he already signed to face Jones before, and got finished by Cormier?

you keep saying this but it still ain't making sense.
C'mon you know that a scared Rumble pushed that pregnant lady's car in front of Jon's so the fight would be canceled.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
The interim belt sealed the deal for him, no matter what he says. He wanted to fight for a belt, so there he goes. And I do not disagree with him; again an injury ruins a title fight. The interim title does two things here: gives Jones a chance for a belt, and gives the fans somewhat of a title fight.

We tend to critisize the interim belts, but it is the ridiculous amount of injuries causing them (with exception of the Conor belt).

I'm saying is, Jones would not have fought, if he wasn't promised somewhat of a belt for his efforts. No shame in spinning the story to your own advantage, I do not blame him here. He should demand a belt if that is the fight that was promised him. Enough with the injuries and cancelations... just hand out some belts already, they've become of lesser importance to me.
He deserves to fight for the belt no matter what anyway, it's his belt

M

member 3289

:cry: I am sorry for making a less than flattering comment about a fighter with questionable morals, that you also have special feelings for.
There are rules that all members are expected to follow. This isn't the UG.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016

He might be the son of satan but I'm not buying that.